FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Friday 13

egbert
Isn't is a silly superstition that friday 13ths are unlucky? It's been, overall, a good day for me so far (Well, I was born on a Friday 13th, so maybe I'm exempt from bad luck today).

What do you guys think?
eggg
I was born on Thursday the 13th, hah. Thor is a more interesting deity to me than Fria anyhow.

So far, so good today. I made myself a cup of coffee well above my usual standard of tastiness. When I set out on my bike later, that will be the real test!
S3nd K3ys
It's kind of silly. Many bring the bad luck on themselves just by worrying so much about it.
Blaster
I've never had bad luck on friday the 13th. Its all a big hoax I think. Its just funny talking about it and all.
scotty
I had a great day yesterday! It's a silly made up thing to make somebody's boring life more interesting.
-SonyGamer
It's just a mith. I have also had a good day today, nothing bad happened to me at all today.
Dezrok
I lost my digital camera in a field today (techinically, yesterday...It's 12:40am), but that's just most likely me being clumbsy as usual. Laughing
mschnell
I had a bad AM today. As in, midnight until bar-close. Maybe I'll just blame it on the fact that it's Friday the 13th.
SurBiff
i have never experienced any bad luck from fri 13.
Alltough both my parents whas saying all the time that something bad allways happen's on that day, i think all of it is a big big lie just to try to scare small children or something Smile
egbert
My day is over, and still no obvious luck of any sort, really. From the answers, it evidently is a myth.

Now tomorrow I'll wake up and find that everyone who posted who was not born on Fri. 13 got evicted from their homes or something.
jveezy
I nailed my math midterm today. I was so nervous before taking it too.

Of course I didn't really know it was Friday the 13th today until I saw this topic. Then again, I tend to have very good Friday the 13ths.
izcool
Today in my Gym class they turned off the lights in the Guy's Locker Room, so we had to change in complete darkness. So I pulled out my T-Mobile MDA and started up the camera program, turned the flash light on, and used that as my flashlight to see what the hell I'm doing. A lot of kids around me did the same sort of thing with their camera phones.

- Mike.
Daniel15
I tend to have really good Friday 13th's, but bad Saturday 14th's Razz
It's Saturday now, so I'll see what happens today Wink
bartdou
it's absolutely superstitious and ridiculous that Friday 13'th is a bad luck day. I despise this view and the guys who have this view.
jooize
Sure the thing about unluck on friday 13th is just a myth/hoax, but it may be fun to talk about Smile

Anyone that has experienced bad luck yesterday? I didn't.
screamingdecay
egbert wrote:
Isn't is a silly superstition that friday 13ths are unlucky? It's been, overall, a good day for me so far (Well, I was born on a Friday 13th, so maybe I'm exempt from bad luck today).

What do you guys think?

Good Luck.
Vrythramax
If I'm not mistaken the "myth" started with The Knights Templar, The Vatican turned on them and wiped them out on a Friday 13th, and the rest is history.
RT Cunningham
Regardless of how these superstitions start, that's exactly what they are. Superstitious nonsense. I though Americans had the superstition market cornered until I moved to the Philippines. Filipinos are superstitious about EVERTHING.

Friday the 13th isn't even in their list of superstitions, that's how silly it is. Neither is walking under a ladder or having a black cat cross their paths.

Most superstitions originate with something that actually happened, and the people attribute it to some form of bad or even good luck.

Oh, I could go on and on... but I'm not inclined to do so.
GameFreak
Man, Friday 13th was really unlucky for me as I got fever 103 degrees yesterday.

Anyway, some say that you souldn't go online on the 13th when its a Friday as really dangerous viruses are unleashed on this day...
Daniel15
I was reading an interesting article (as well as the comments posted) about the recent Friday 13th on Slashdot (http://slashdot.org/articles/06/10/13/222223.shtml). Basically, it stated that all the digits in the date 13/10/2006 add up to 13 (1+3+1+0+2+0+0+6=13)

Additionally, some people went on to say:

• The date in binary notation is 1010 1101 11111010110. This has thirteen 1's in it
  • The UNIX timestamp for the date is 01000101001011110000111101000000. This contains thirteen 1's (you can see this by doing echo decbin(strtotime('13 Oct 2006')); in PHP)

Razz
ColdFire
you guys got it all wrong! Saturday the 14th is when your luck starts to run out! Twisted Evil
roadruner
the whole friday the 13th thing sucks Razz
if something bad does happen it happens because people expect it to happen
i didn't realise that yesterday was friday 13th until today and i didn't notice anything bad happening to me
so it's a bunch of silly superstition Razz
Keran
This years friday 13th was terrible for me.
All day there was a bad atmosphere in my class and after classes, everyone was sad...
I almost have broken a leg while training and got a lot of bruises.
At the end of the day i had some misunderstanding about some book that it seems i didnt pay for, even though i had.
My friends and i got into a fight.
And my brother went to the hospital...
So maybe there is something with this damn day...
Loghete
Daniel15 wrote:
I was reading an interesting article (as well as the comments posted) about the recent Friday 13th on Slashdot (http://slashdot.org/articles/06/10/13/222223.shtml). Basically, it stated that all the digits in the date 13/10/2006 add up to 13 (1+3+1+0+2+0+0+6=13)

Additionally, some people went on to say:

• The date in binary notation is 1010 1101 11111010110. This has thirteen 1's in it
  • The UNIX timestamp for the date is 01000101001011110000111101000000. This contains thirteen 1's (you can see this by doing echo decbin(strtotime('13 Oct 2006')); in PHP)

Razz

Yeah, I was gonna say that but you got before me Razz
Alienz
Nothing weirds happening to me on the Friday the 13th Smile
Aless
I'm always a big advocate of "Friday the 13th is just another day - nothing weird will happen". Except...something weird always DOES end up happening to me! This time around's was quite brilliant & stressful...basically, I lost my passport/student ID for a good 3-4 hours...was in a right panic & NOT a happy camper. Then found it had been turned into the local police - wow, lucky me!

Definitely strange.
Scoria
I jus think its filled with bullshit.
Nothing unhappilly happend to me, and has happend to anyone else I know. Bad things happen other days, its just when its friday the 13th that we actually notice or care a lot about it, thats why its come out as a unlucky day.

Johan
meet in rio
Mine was sort of good. I managed to successfully feign knowledge of a book I've never read in an hour-long tutorial, completed a very easy German test and watched a succession of weird Chinese films before having a conversation with an Irish guy through my window and eating toast.

Hooray for Friday the 13th.

(You know, in Spain, it's Tuesday the 13th that's unlucky. Fact of the day!)
Yjaxygames
I didn't have any bad lcuk yesterday. 13 is actually my lucky number.
soulman
well... I think most of the mothers will not choose that day to be the birthday of their baby... However... I think it's not really bad if the ideas of <The Da Vinci Code> make sence...
jongoldsz
There is no bad luck, its all superstition. I haven't seen any black cats cross my path and I haven't walked under a ladder and I haven't spilled salt and I haven't broke a mirror, and nothing what so ever happened to me.
erlendhg
I don't have much believe in that Friday the 13th actually is an unlucky day.
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that it has been coming much in October lately?
Soulfire
I think it's just one of those fun days - like a holiday now. Yesterday I was greeted by almost everyone I talked to by a "Happy Friday the 13th"
dreamstealer
according to peoples beliefs tuesday is unlucky day.friday and 13th it is just a movie.
now,i think that if you believe in that stuff then you challenge your good/bad luck.keep away from these guys!no use!put jusus in your heart and dont afraid anything!
ncwdavid
I know someone who stays in bed all day on Friday 13th to keep away from all possibilities of getting bad luck Confused
sibbahz
Friday the 13th was actually a better day than saturday and sunday have been. I dont really believe any of the superstition behind it.
Josso
Well, to be honest, I'm pretty open to theories such as this and coincidently I did have a very bad day that day for many different reasons... worst day in years Confused
Droop
egbert wrote:

What do you guys think?

Friday the 13th was just made up in my humble opinion. I don't believe that day is an unlucky day. Completely made up for our entertainment in films etc. . . I know that nothing that I can think of - went bad for me on that particular day..
Commando_Sondre
Well, at least nothing happend on my Friday 13. Very Happy
Vrythramax
I agree...the whole superstiousness of the whole thing is rather absurd....much as most superstions are. I have very good days and some bad days that fall on friday 13....this last one was kinda messed, but not due to the date, but because I hadn't been to work (I tele-commuted) for most of the week and had to play "catch-up". So it was not the day (I didn't even realize it was friday 13 until I read the authors post) but more my own fault.

Smile
irinaonline
i am sorry, but i don't believe in such also.
Arseniy
Friday 13 is lucky day for me! One day I've got 4 exams in Friday 13 and all was perfect! It was amazing. Still waiting for Friday 13!Smile
the1991
i dont think theyre bad luck, but the movies are SWEET!

Cool
lordfrikk
I agree with most of you Very Happy I always look forward to Friday 13th because it was always so lucky and perfect... There is one exception to it, however... when 13th was a really bad day for me... everyone around had depressions etc. Whoa, it was like hell Sad
Tumbleweed
Vrythramax wrote:
If I'm not mistaken the "myth" started with The Knights Templar, The Vatican turned on them and wiped them out on a Friday 13th, and the rest is history.

I heard this to....I dont think they were wiped out on one day but it was instigated on a friday the 13th

I was born on a friday the 13th myself, and Im sure the saying goes........ " Friday the 13th,unlucky for some" rather than just stating that friday the 13th is unlucky
SmartIcon
All these are nonsence superstitions. I do not beleive in this. Some times number 13 is proven lucky for some persons. I have also experienced such situations like this. In ICC world cup 1999 all the players with numer 13 played well. Why this Nonsence things?
Vrythramax
SmartIcon wrote:
All these are nonsence superstitions. I do not beleive in this. Some times number 13 is proven lucky for some persons. I have also experienced such situations like this. In ICC world cup 1999 all the players with numer 13 played well. Why this Nonsence things?

Most superstions bagan from facts, and then were perverted to myth. Try reading up on some....you may be surpised Smile
STYLAN
There may be underlying concepts for this friday the 13th.May be something is referred in the bible.People wont just that of all the 365 days in a year this is the only one that is unlucky.
Vrythramax
STYLAN wrote:
There may be underlying concepts for this friday the 13th.May be something is referred in the bible.People wont just that of all the 365 days in a year this is the only one that is unlucky.

Friday the 13th has historical fact....read before you post.
Vrythramax
And becuase of the stupity shown in the topic....it is

-closed-

another mod may open it....but superstions and facts do not cooincide.

Read your facts before posting.