FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


What software do you use?





Relic1212
I use FL Studio to produce my tracks. What do you use?
deStructuralized
ACID Pro 6 Smile
kikass
i use FLStudio too.. great piece of software..

lately i have been trying out hip hop ejay and dance ejay for some fun... so damn easy to create tracks with these.. Smile
achene
Ive tried both FL-Studio and Ableton Live. Don't really know which one i prefer but both pretty good pieces of software.
davince
I`am using fruityloops for a long while.
10 years ago, I was working with cubase, but when the virtual instruments have comed, fruityloops was my thing.
But on my 19th, all my equipment(hardware), was bought`t.
And not I have a Roland MC-505, Yamaha RM1x, effect units, etc,etc.
I`m planning to make a switch again to cubase 4, because of the complexity of my studio equipment, and fruityloops is not capable to make it work all together.
deStructuralized
You switched from Cubase to FL when VSTis came out?

How come? Steinberg created VSTi technology and implemented it in Cubase first.

I guess FL does have a bunch of cool built-in VSTs though.
davince
Correct, Steinberg was the first, but fruityloops is a much more user friendly envirement, for only use of vst instruments.
And cubase was not the cubase that it is right now. Some things where complex, when you used midi. Fruityloops has becomed a very good product. But for studio`s it is not expandible enough.
Cubase is by the way, STILL the studio STANDARD. For all the people, who did not know this.
deStructuralized
Good point

Not knocking on FruityLoops, it's a powerful program. Just wanted to know your perspective on it Smile
Magicman
I use Audacity. It's pretty basic but its free and I don't have the money to go buy any expensive software.
Subsonic Sound
Quote:
Cubase is by the way, STILL the studio STANDARD. For all the people, who did not know this.


It's really not.

It's the standard mid-range Windows based audio sequencer.

The standard mid-range Mac based audio sequencer is Logic.

The standard against which all other audio sequencers will be judged, regardless of price or platform is ProTools. ALL top level digital recording studios use ProTools. I've worked in a few, and I've yet to see one use Cubase.

The standard multiplatform MIDI sequencer is Reason.

And so on.
fashioncrimewave
I use Acid Recording Studio 6. It's not fancy but it's got what I need to make home demos. With all the free music software (VSTs) out there I can find pretty much any effect I want and the amount of free soft synths is mind-boggling.

Probably my favorite free synths are Rez and Cheezmachine.

One thing I would like is some good guitar modeling software, like Guitar Rig. Have to wait until I upgrade my computer though. At the moment I use a mic to record out of my amp.
legion
i'm using FL Studio 6; it's a good software for begginers like myself Smile
davince
Subsonic Sound wrote:
Quote:
Cubase is by the way, STILL the studio STANDARD. For all the people, who did not know this.


It's really not.

It's the standard mid-range Windows based audio sequencer.

The standard mid-range Mac based audio sequencer is Logic.

The standard against which all other audio sequencers will be judged, regardless of price or platform is ProTools. ALL top level digital recording studios use ProTools. I've worked in a few, and I've yet to see one use Cubase.

The standard multiplatform MIDI sequencer is Reason.

And so on.



All windows products are very competing, with pro-tools,
and they are loosing right now. check the stats.
The average standard is cubase, and pro tools, normally is only used by people that are already making money with music, and thats 3 % of all the users.
davince
fashioncrimewave wrote:
I use Acid Recording Studio 6. It's not fancy but it's got what I need to make home demos. With all the free music software (VSTs) out there I can find pretty much any effect I want and the amount of free soft synths is mind-boggling.

Probably my favorite free synths are Rez and Cheezmachine.

One thing I would like is some good guitar modeling software, like Guitar Rig. Have to wait until I upgrade my computer though. At the moment I use a mic to record out of my amp.


Check, www.steinberg.net and hear the demo of virtual gitarist 2.
I have this program already bought original, and its fine, very fine.
davince
legion wrote:
i'm using FL Studio 6; it's a good software for begginers like myself Smile


Haha, people that are using fruityloops, are no beginners.
You can make a real track out of it.

By the way, as information.

Beginners, don`t think never, ever and never, that when you are gonna buy a instrument, in your locally music shop, that your songs are gonna be a much better. If you are not creative with only a pc, and kick some ass with it, making good music, you are having the same problem with your new music machine. So keep most money in your pocket!
deStructuralized
To be fair, if we're talking about the industry standard for studios...then Subsonic is correct. ProTools is absolutely, without a doubt, the standard digital sequencer.

It doesn't matter if only professionals are the ones who use it...that's the definition of "industry standard." What the professionals are using.


Another thing...yes, FL Studio 6 is a powerful as hell program. And using it doesn't necessarily make you a beginner, but I'd say that it's the sequencing software most commonly used by beginners because it looks easy to use.


The key to using different types of hardware well is experimentation. Buying an MPC or a Roland 808, and any other DAW isn't going to automatically make your music better. But some people work better with knobs, faders, and buttons, than they do with keys and mice. See what suits you best.

Obviously, people shouldn't be spending their money frivolously on every new product they encounter...but there's nothing wrong with making an informed investment in a new piece of hardware or software if it'll help you take your music to the next level.

Because nothing in music is free.
davince
deStructuralized wrote:


Obviously, people shouldn't be spending their money frivolously on every new product they encounter...but there's nothing wrong with making an informed investment in a new piece of hardware or software if it'll help you take your music to the next level.

Because nothing in music is free.



People are thinking that they are more creative,when they are having more equipment. That`s my point. If you can not make a song with ONLY a pc, you can do it with, NOTHING.
deStructuralized
Right. I get your point. Equipment won't magically turn you into a musical genius. But it might help you out with your work flow by giving you a more convenient layout, or it might give you new plugins/effects/sounds to work with.

For example...you can't make digital music with "only a PC." You have to buy software to begin with.

And obviously if you're using a basic sequencer like Acid Pro, you aren't going to have solid VSTis or effects unless you buy software, or synthesizers, or racks. If you're using a computer microphone and you want clearer, stronger colored recordings with greater dynamics you'll want to buy a studio microphone and maybe an audio interface with solid preamps. If you want to actually play notes rather than clicking and dragging your mouse, you'll want to buy a MIDI controller.

New equipment can help you be more creative if you (a) have the drive and vision to make it happen, (b) you understand how to use it, and (c) having the equipment lets you do more than you'd otherwise be able to do.


Yes, the people who buy equipment without properly researching it or trying it out annoy me. But here's what annoys me even more: people who expect not to spend any money because they think the $300 cracked program they downloaded for free off of BitTorrent is all they need to be called a legitimate musician.

It's not as if these people can't afford to buy software. They're on a computer surfing the web on what's most likely a broadband connection. Even classic hip-hop producers, who are accused of stealing all the time pay their dues...they buy turntables or hardware sequencers like the MPC or Roland 808, they buy records, they buy keyboards.
pudovkin
Cubase. Smile
Subsonic Sound
Quote:
All windows products are very competing, with pro-tools,
and they are loosing right now. check the stats.
The average standard is cubase, and pro tools, normally is only used by people that are already making money with music, and thats 3 % of all the users.


Your argument appears to be that Cubase is the standard among amateurs, who never make any money.

Is that a good thing? Frankly you're making it sound like one to avoid! :p

ProTools is the industry standard, and is the standard by which other sequencers are measured. It doesn't matter which group uses it, is is indisputably the standard others are measured against.

Pick up any industry mag. I particularly recommend Sound On Sound. Any review of a sequencer, they'll be comparing it to ProTools.
7Pound7
Hi I use windows XP, WOrd, explorer, firefox, chemdraw and others!
Subsonic Sound
Quote:
People are thinking that they are more creative,when they are having more equipment. That`s my point. If you can not make a song with ONLY a pc, you can do it with, NOTHING.


Good point, poorly made.

I know a guy who can pull complex, involved and downright awesome tunes out of the air, and jot them down in his notebook in perfect musical notation - but doesn't understand the term 'double click'.

Now, you're right in that spending thousands on a top instrument does not make you a good musician. But give someone who is already a good musician a cheap knockoff brand instrument, with a terrible setup and a weak tone... then give them a top-shelf, hand built machine with perfect setup and a killer tone... see which one sounds better.

The world is full of kids with fancy instruments who don't understand why they can't make it sound good. But oddly, I don't see many top-flight professionals using 50 guitars.
Josso
Entirely hardware Razz

I use Audacity for minor editing and occasional simple multi tracking though.
nootherone
i use fruityloops for vst instrumentation,
and then use adobe audition for wav editing/mixing.
it seems to me that a combination allows for interesting possibilities
Tyler
I use Finale 2007, Sibelius 4, and Norton Expert 2007.

They're all very good for large-scale, in-depth composition, which is my main field of music. However, they are quite pricey, but I think they are worth the extra money.
DJ_Oyster
I use Fruity Loops Studio 6, eLogic Platinum 5, Reason 3.0, eJay and Cubase SX...

If I got hosting here, I'll make music forum Smile
pgh055
OK Guys ... so what (free or good shareware) software would a quiet Sunday morning radio DJ use to create a more interesting and professional program? I am looking at Audacity and Reaper at the moment, to cut my teeth on and help me start using a laptop in the studio.
wodor
I'm using steinberg Cubase as a seqencer and for recording guitar tracks and propellerhead Reason as a synthesizer (thru the re-wire interface) . I think i'm using about 10% of this what i can get from this combination, but on the other hand i'm sure i dont have to change software to input some triplets in drum track ;)
The Mitchell
hmmm god loads of em. Cubase SX3 for general recording (although it would be digital performer if i had monies and bought a mac), Reason 3.04 for sequencing pretty much everything, Reaktor for making my own synths, recycle for editing samples, ableton live 5.01 for gigging, wavelab for wave editing and logic audio every now and again...

davince wrote:
Correct, Steinberg was the first, but fruityloops is a much more user friendly envirement, for only use of vst instruments.
And cubase was not the cubase that it is right now. Some things where complex, when you used midi. Fruityloops has becomed a very good product. But for studio`s it is not expandible enough.
Cubase is by the way, STILL the studio STANDARD. For all the people, who did not know this.


... wrong! very wrong indeed. Cubase is not the industry standard but Pro Tolls is. Also subsonic sound you are wrong too on the mac front. Digital Performer is the actual industry standard although i would say currently Logic is gaining. Digital Performer and Pro Tools rae often run together in recording studios with both mac and pc if your going to the real high end.
Cubase is a very high standard of program but is by no means a trend setter. Good for starting out but i find the programs lacks in simplicity and ease of use. too many menus and too much crap lying about. I'd say the whole program needs an overhaul and should take a look at some of MOTUs products like DP for example.
uros
Audacity all the way. Nothing can match the open source mind. There is still a lot of work to do, but I think they will be the ones to watch. I was using Adobe Audition and Cool Edit Pro (adobe bought it) and I must say that audacity is the best. Its easy to use and has a very nice GUI.

bye
The Mitchell
uros wrote:
Audacity all the way. Nothing can match the open source mind. There is still a lot of work to do, but I think they will be the ones to watch. I was using Adobe Audition and Cool Edit Pro (adobe bought it) and I must say that audacity is the best. Its easy to use and has a very nice GUI.

bye

not a huge fan of audacity. Also adone audition i didnt think weas as good as cool edit. whenb adobe bought it i though. all about preference though.
Subsonic Sound
Quote:
Audacity all the way. Nothing can match the open source mind. There is still a lot of work to do, but I think they will be the ones to watch.


It's a nice thought, but really, have you tried the bigger systems?

Last year I found myself working on a very restricted project, using only what I could legitimately download free from the internet. I grabbed Audacity and Krystal Audio - which for the record does everything Audacity does and more, and is also legitimately free.

It took me a full hour to use both of them to do what I could have done better, in 5 minutes with Cubase.

Audacity is missing so many features so critical I don't even think of them as FUNCTIONS anymore. In Krystal's defence, it does have those functions. It just doesn't do them very well.

Now, I support Open Source initiatives as much as the next guy. I use OpenOffice, and I long since replaced AIM and MSN with GAIM. But in the audio sphere, the OS projects have a LONG way to go. The precision, detail, and complexity of the required algorithms are way in excess of those needed for simpler OS projects like text editors and messengers. There's a reason that audio/video editing suites are the most expensive, demanding suites out there.
shwetanshu
FL studio... good for beginners like me and sometimes Audacity
davince
www.trancion.nl

anyone, can join, our forum, on www.trancion.nl to talk only about music and computer technics.

We are still searching for people that are making music, and want a profile on our site, with your own demo`s, studio, pictures and so on.

If you are interested, contact me.

We are also do link exchange.


The forum, is in begin stadium, so we are still searching for
new moderators, to. Surprised

Check the site, www.trancion.nl
blendbet
I use for edit Adobe audition formely Cool edit pro.
That is a real cool software for edit any kind of music
Laughing
deStructuralized
Steinberg released Cubase 4 not too long ago. Supposedly it comes packed with a couple of really nifty VSTis and a much more comprehensive digital mixboard. Supposedly Cubase SX3 had a lot of problems with crashing though, and I'm not sure if this latest edition fixes that.

The Tascam US-428 I recently purchased came packaged with a lite edition of Cubase...if I like it enough when I get a chance to try it, I might upgrade to 4 and drop Acid Pro altogether.

Anyone here give it a try yet?
Afaceinthematrix
Acid Pro
warallthetm
I use Acid Pro 6 and Audacity for finishing touches before i publish. I like both programs, i tried fruityloops but i didn't like it.
Illionaire
I find FL studio to be the best that I have tried. It's a program that I found easiest to jump right in and make simple songs, yet the more you use it, the more you learn about its more complicated features. I havent even really scratched the surface yet either. I dont even know what a VST plugin is or how to use them. Im not asking for help, I could research that, I'm just saying that for beginners and experts, FL studio is a solid program.

I use it to make techno/electronic music, as well as hip-hop beats. I really would like to find an expansive library of usable hip-hop samples.
Chalchihuitlicue
I usually use Adobe Audition and Acid. I was taught to use those in my audio class, so I'm more comfortable with them than anything else. I can't get the hang of using Audacity, even though it's really similar to Audition. I also used to use Sound Forge, and I like that a lot too. I just haven't used it lately because I lost the disk for it. Mad
VidE
Anyone use Cakewalk? Its really very good and they are finally as of the last few versions they offer included VST support.

As to the comment about Pro Tools, yeah, it is an industry standard, expected in studios. It is not however, because other software apps aren't as good in either quality or creative flexibility, it's just that PT has been built to be stable, it's been integrated with good hardware and now high end video software (Avid) and is the software you are expected to know in studios. OK, that's a lot. But a lot of creative musicians are using Propellorhead, Reason, Cubase, Logic, Cakewalk, FL, Audition(which is really not sequencing software per se), etc.

Whatever feels good to you, use it.
bluefossil
I use pandora.com. it magically play all the tracks I always wanted for me
rongsen
can anyone suggest a good software for extracting clean music from a distorted one???
Sphaerenkern
Sometimes if I want to record a song, I use GarageBand. But mostly, I play with my friends without recording it. Anyway, with editing it, it can sound a lot better than without. But I prefer practicing to play better than just making it sound better with some software Wink
The Mitchell
deStructuralized wrote:
Steinberg released Cubase 4 not too long ago. Supposedly it comes packed with a couple of really nifty VSTis and a much more comprehensive digital mixboard. Supposedly Cubase SX3 had a lot of problems with crashing though, and I'm not sure if this latest edition fixes that.

The Tascam US-428 I recently purchased came packaged with a lite edition of Cubase...if I like it enough when I get a chance to try it, I might upgrade to 4 and drop Acid Pro altogether.

Anyone here give it a try yet?

Currently trying to get hold of a copy of cubase 4 on the cheap. Managed to move on to Ableton live recently and i just got a real version of 6 with the dual core support. Oh yes.
Iv heard great things about cubase 4 but sx3 was painfully irritating. Ive never liked the cubase way of laying things out in total honesty but well see how much cubase 4 has changed.
The Mitchell
rongsen wrote:
can anyone suggest a good software for extracting clean music from a distorted one???

Due to the nature of distortion its pretty impossible really to rebuild a waveform once it has been distorted. In technical terms it would be possible to help certain waves by using filters but otherwise no. You see by distorting a wave your are pretty much chopping off the top of the waveform or compressing them massively and hence forth it is called waeshaping. Always record things clean and then add effects later unless you know exactly what sound you want or you dont mind rerecording things.
pretentious
i've personally gone from using acid pro to cakewalk, dabbled in fruity loops some, not much...played with cool edit pro here and there and had a 'spare room studio' with audition.(or was it acid??) shortly after that i switched to open source everything, and there's not much to pick from. i used audacity for a bit and stopped recording for awhile. until very recently i had the chance to play with something by the makers of cakewalk? and then spent a good couple of days veggin in front of reason.

now... i've got a korg cr-4 4track.. ha.. i record and mix onto that and then dump it into audacity for editing out noise and precision volume control. spit some out this morning that very way...(hey i also used the cr-4 to record a lengthy collaboration from the ps2 version of ejay club world) ;)

compared to apps like cep and audition( i can't even keep up with who's bought who) audacity has still got a way to go.. but for open source, it's able to get the job done for us poor folk, so it's got an icon on my desktop
mialynavahy
Audacity all the way ! free, always freeware, but i heard about the quality of FL Studio 6
SimonWSTS
I use Adobe Audition (Cubase SX3 when my computer is feeling extra nice but crashes most of the time!) for multitrack recording and Sibelius 4 for arranging/composing.
kicy
I am new to making music but so far I love Reason 3, I used to use FL but I couldn't figure out how to use it.

So far I have not used any software besides Reason 3 it seems to be all the software I need, but I am new and I might find out that I need more software for something important...
markolino
cool edit 2.0

its amazing !
takashiro
I use TTplayer. It is the most popular music software in China. Its Chinese name is 千千静听. You can go to TTplayer offcial website www.ttplayer.com But now there is not an English version of it. only in chinese.
Petee
I'm currently using Acid Music Studio 6 for my recording/editing needs right now, but I'm in the middle of trying several different editing ones for Linux, such as Ardour.
jabronie25
I use Audacity for my simple music editing for my videos

I have Adobe Audition, but its really confusing for me, so i dont use it.
poly
I use audacity... free and a pretty good program...
Related topics
What FTP Software do you use?
SOFTWARE OR MANUAL
Dose Anybody Know Where to find Photoshop pro Free Software.
Software Upgrade
Q: Why are women so bad at mathematics?
Video editing software
What's the best Video Editing Software?
Interesting IE6 Software Bug...
Website Designer Software
Anyone want to try out my PHP-based support ticket software?
FlashCatcher-A useful software to get the flash from the web
Best Blogging software
Resume-writing software - Any suggestions
Split Computer Hardware and Software Forum
Microsoft set to test security software
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Music

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.