FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Smithlinks - spam and funky SEO

pansophia
Hi, guys -

I got an email from smithlinks11@gmail.com. This looks like a spam email sent to a lot of webmasters to request that they post a link to a particular site. I looked around at some web sites similar to mine, and seems like some people actually posted the link.

While sometimes legit businesses hire dicey "online marketing" companies, the web site itself looks suspicious to me. It has very obvious manipulative SEO, such as dozens of unnecessary links to subpages just to make keywords a repeated link. It also has strange testimonials - all from anonymous "managers" and "directors" of unnamed institutions.

When I googled smithlinks11 I found nothing. Under just "smithlinks" I found some pretty strange stuff.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether I should report this to spamcop and warn the other people who posted the link. I won't bother if this is just incompetent SEO. However, if this is a spammer takng advantage of gullible people, I want to do what I can to stop them.

Has anyone here heard of "smithlink"? Any tips on how to research this?
pansophia
Did anyone have any thoughts on the Smithlinks spam? Has anyone ever seen this before?
SoftStag
Unsolicited mail is spam. Therefore if you want to report spam, report this.

Spam is spam, regardless of whether it is useful of not. If you didn't request it or sign up to their mailing list, then it is spam.
Lilystock
I think like SoftStag.

Actually, I don't even read them anymore, so I wouldn't even know if I've been spammed from Smithlinks or not ! Laughing