FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[Community Project] FriMs (Frihost's unofficial CMS)

mathiaus
Another community project, this time a complete CMS! Very Happy
Quote:
FriMs is a powerful CMS working on a complex backbone allowing for the use of many modules to be easily added including accompanied forum, gallery, news and blog modules. FriMs' admin panel makes easy work of controlling the entire site

We need YOU, the Frihost community to help in the creation of this new and unique CMS. Simply register over at the forums and sourceforge, then let us know what you can do and we can start. Smile

FriMs Example / Development area

How to join in
*At the present moment we only require PHP/MYSQL, Javascript programmers, not graphic/layout designers (though you can still take part in the forum).
* All steps compulsory. Without registering and posting about yourself, you cannot join in.
  1. Join the Forum: This is where all of the discussions will take place.
  2. Register on SourceForge: Here we distribute tasks, manage files, track bugs etc.
  3. Post on the forum letting us know what you can/can't do, how much time you are willing to contribute to the project etc. (post you sourceforge username)

After you have been approved and added to the project at sourceforge, you will be able to access the code and given tasks to complete. The timescale for these tasks is of course more than up for discussion.

Who we need
  1. Everyone, register at the forums and make suggestions. Just let you opinions be known.
  2. Programmers - Must be knowledgeble in PHP/MySQL or Javascript and/or AJAX.
  3. Database experts - These staff will either be optimising the current databases oe porting the system to allow for the usage of other db packages such as postgresql.
  4. Layout designers - The CMS must look good. You can either create a new template and skin set or a new skin for an existing skin. Requires XHTML & CSS knowledge/experience.
  5. Graphic artists - We will need logo's buttons for linking and buttons for use within the cms, banners etc. A standard set of user avatars/sigs would be nice Wink
  6. Promoters - Your job will be to spread the word about frims. Everyone should know about it and download it.
  7. Doc Writer - Users here will create documentation both for users on how to use the CMS and for developers on how to interact and write code for the CMS.
  8. Translators - FriMs fully utilises language packs. Translators will simply translate these packs to a different language.

At the moment we only need programmers though anyone wanting to help in anyway should go back to the
How to join in section and follow the steps.

Hope to see some of you soon eager to help and make this a complete success Applause

Links
Previous thread
Forum
Sourceforge
FriMs Example / Development area

*Please only reply for a good reason. We have setup the external forum so that spam is not posted here!
Astrolopitecos
Has matt already said this is not for spam!

so for those who wants to participate,join the places told above or
simply give us some info about u in here.

things to say

- way of contact you
- what do u know
- how much time experience u got
- how much time u got to spent on this project

stay well
vinx_18
hey matt..i want to join this community. I am a PHP programmer and I know a lot of my course. I am an Information Technology student..about to graduate this march.
coreymanshack
Hey this is pretty neat and I would like to be a part of it. I have been programming php, mysql, javascript for about 2-3 years now. The first year was a learning year though, and I still believe there are many techniques and things for me to learn out there, I would be willing to learn them too. For example I've never used header's very much besides for redirection, or the construct function. I have plenty of time for this, I'm on my computer on the weekends 24/7 and during the week I'm usually on after 4pm. I should be able to support this project to its fullest.

EDIT

I have signed up and posted at the forums and am requesting a sourceforge id, hope to be with you guys soon!
mathiaus
Hey guys Very Happy It's great to see new people interested in this project and willing to help out. I'm currently dormant on this project due to college where I need to catch up on last years work. I'll be working on it again after the new year (or sooner with luck). Untill then though, please contact Astrolopitecos. Smile
coreymanshack
mathiaus wrote:
Hey guys Very Happy It's great to see new people interested in this project and willing to help out. I'm currently dormant on this project due to college where I need to catch up on last years work. I'll be working on it again after the new year (or sooner with luck). Untill then though, please contact Astrolopitecos. Smile

K, I can wait, Especiall benz i'll be busy until after the new years probably too.
Astrolopitecos
just to say i'm still here Razz i've been "upgrading" my stuff to php5 i hope soon i can get back with matt to this Smile

see you soon i hope Smile
Gundamxxg
hello, I have signed up for the friMS forums and the sourceforge website.

I have a lot of experience with php and sql and i currently have a lot of the items needed for the cms that you guys are making. I would love to join in and help out with whatever I can.

Im happy to join the team. see you guys on the forums.
mathiaus
Added everyone to the project on sourceforge Smile

Finally managed to setup the CVS over at sourceforge so we can finally share code in an effective manner. I'll try to make a tutorial explaining how to use it soon.
Untill then, discuss on the other forum what you'll like to do, who you'd like to work with etc. Just start a new thread Smile
MrBlueSky
I think this is an interesting project, and I would sure like to be part of it. So I registered at http://www.projectoportal.co.nr/ and downloaded the source from the CVS.

(The current version is missing the line

Code:

global $connector;

in the function function showshouts() (shoutbox.php). But that as a sidenote. Smile )

But... I can't log in at http://www.projectoportal.co.nr/. I could when I clicked the activitation link.

I get no error messages about an incorrect username or password or anything.

-- EDIT --

Nevermind. I can login with Seamonkey. I recently changed some IE-settings Embarassed
mathiaus
Thanks for joining Smile
I added you to the project over at sourceforge.

Yeah, I was working on the core for a while and haven't updated the shoutbox to work with it yet Embarassed

Anything you particularly fancy doing?
MrBlueSky
mathiaus wrote:
Thanks for joining Smile
I added you to the project over at sourceforge.

Yeah, I was working on the core for a while and haven't updated the shoutbox to work with it yet Embarassed

Anything you particularly fancy doing?

Any programming, doesn't matter what. I will introduce myself in the 'Presentation' forum soon.
pyapplico
Looks pretty cool for a demo in development.
BlueVD
Hey guys...
You can count me in for the following things: Design, debugging and such. I'd like to help with the programming to but most likely you already have guys that are better than me.
As to my designing experience (I believe since I'm applying I must state something):

• in 2004 I attended a special course of Design & arts called: "The psychology of colors. In the mind of the viewer"
  • in 2005 me and my team (I was the team leader) won the 5th place on the national selection contest of WebDesign for WIF
  • I've participated in skin development with StarDock
And others may apply... I'll join the places you've pointed out...
fiendskull9
it appears the project is dying

any idea?
theem
Yeah I LIKE the idea of Frims
I will give it a try..

will be back on this topic with the reviews of frims... Arrow
mathiaus
fiendskull9 wrote:
it appears the project is dying

any idea?

Its never been 'busy' as such and for the last few months, everyones been busy with ending school/college. This last few weeks, everyones been even busier, trying to finish in time (for me at least Razz).
It will continue though, I'll see to it!
fiendskull9
haha
perhaps with such little activity right now my coding skills COULD be of use

*continues on reading his php book*
Astrolopitecos
isn't dying me and mat are still here for it Smile
I've been finishing some work i got in hands to
give some time to the frims project Smile
coreymanshack
Gah i'm really sorry I got dedicated within this. I just really can't get used to the style of coding and what is being used here to create this. I really wish I would've gotten into this at the beginning. Because it's really to comprehensive to just jump into. Besides I just don't have the patience. Sorry mathius!
GSIS
Errm -

Nice idea, and looking good.

Except for the example entries in the text area on the demo page http://frims.org.uk/news.php?news_id=1

Almost every word in there will come out as ******** if I copied an example into this forum Embarassed Shocked Laughing
roeenoy228
That's looking good.

Good luck,
roee
asim
Hi mathiaus,

i am a newbie and would like to contribute if i can i the project..... is it so that i need complete knowledge and then only i can enter the project. do revert back. im waiting for your reply.
mahirharoon
the cookies work if we go to http://ar.frihost.net/smf/index.php not projectportal.co.nr
i joined
Ni9htRider
Code:
http://frims.org.uk/news.php?news_id=3

The top and right menus don't show. It is just the background gradient/color without the text.
alalex
trying to join to help and all, but it seems like the registration captcha image is not displaying...

Also I would like to register in SourceForge in your project. My username in SF is the same (alalex)
pollux1er
Hi everybody, is it late to register to the project?
coreymanshack
Mathius are you still around? I would like to try and help once more. Give me a task.
mathiaus
BOO! Did I scare you?

Hi everybody,

Great to see so many people eager to get involved Very Happy
I'm extremely busy at the moment but starting next week I will be starting on this project again.

Firstly I will creating a new HQ where everyone can communicate with each other properly. A team needs to be formed, roles assigned and a big discussion on how we are going to continue with project, practices to follow, etc.
Then the fun will begin and we will slowly (not too slowly I hope!) build up the code into something that turns out looking like a proper CMS Razz

Everyone that has expressed interest here, expect to hear from me soon Smile
coreymanshack
mathiaus wrote:
BOO! Did I scare you?

Hi everybody,

I'm extremely busy at the moment but starting next week I will be starting on this project again.

Firstly I will creating a new HQ where everyone can communicate with each other properly. A team needs to be formed, roles assigned and a big discussion on how we are going to continue with project, practices to follow, etc.
Then the fun will begin and we will slowly (not too slowly I hope!) build up the code into something that turns out looking like a proper CMS Razz

Can we perhaps colaborate over ventrilo?
elyo-luk
I can translate to spanish
rvec
coreymanshack wrote:
mathiaus wrote:
BOO! Did I scare you?

Hi everybody,

Can we perhaps colaborate over ventrilo?

IRC!!!
Razz
On ventrilo nobody would understand me Cool
mathiaus
Any and all methods that make it easier to collaborate Very Happy

No harm in boosting the IRC numbers either though Smile
Gushe
Can I still sign up for this? Smile

I can do PHP (no mySQL though, not interested in Databases), but I like to work on larger projects. I am interested in learning new things and teamwork. Smile

if necessary, learning JavaScript would be no problem I guess. Wink

Cheers,
GuShe
coreymanshack
Gushe wrote:
Can I still sign up for this? Smile

I can do PHP (no mySQL though, not interested in Databases), but I like to work on larger projects. I am interested in learning new things and teamwork. Smile

if necessary, learning JavaScript would be no problem I guess. Wink

Cheers,
GuShe

You may not be interested in databases, but MySql is better than saving state in a text file. You may actually want to give it some intrest, it isn't that hard. It's more simple than the fopen() and other file related functions to me.
Hogwarts

*glares at Mathiaus for not being as active anymore* Sad
mathiaus
Hogwarts wrote:

Read my post somewhere where I state one of my new years resolutions as being more active on Frihost and another as reviving Frims and having it working in an Alpha state!

You can't get rid of me that easily Hogwarts Razz
Gushe
mathiaus wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:

Read my post somewhere where I state one of my new years resolutions as being more active on Frihost and another as reviving Frims and having it working in an Alpha state!

You can't get rid of me that easily Hogwarts Razz

Go Mathiaus! Very Happy
Manofgames
Hmm, this looks interesting...
I'm a little bit busy at the moment but I'll be watching to see how it goes Smile
pollux1er
What is new for this new year so?! Where is the project from now? What is to do?
rockacola
Also sign me up if this project is still running..

I'm also working on a customized CMS as a tool for my projects. Rolling Eyes
Gushe
How is this idea going along? Smile
CyberDwak
Well this looks very nice and i really hope that it turns out that way. even though i just joined im already starting to like this community allot more then i did before i joined...

Well here it goes... :

- way of contact you
- what do u know
- how much time experience u got
- how much time u got to spent on this project

- Email me at pwnsteam@gmail.com or just PM me here.

- i know alot of html, CSS and some Javascript. I also know VB.Net and am busy learning C++ at a website my friend gave to me but that will not do anything for you unless you want me to make a progam for you.

- Well iv been doing Html, CSS and VB.Net for 4 Years now.. but i just started in Javascript and C++.

- I dont have alot of time because a friend asked me to make him some programs for his website and im busy coding his main page. i also did his Forums skin. so i would say i have about 12 hours a week...

so if you want my help just say so.
joostvane
Somebody please quickly brief me how this project is coming along. I just checked the forum, and some topics on the first page are from 2007. Is this still active?
jstei
This is dead, I guess. I would help but...