FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Common Interfaces for Gnome and KDE Released

nigam
Please Use Quote Tags wrote:
"Today OSDL and freedesktop.org announced the release of Portland 1.0, a set of common interfaces for GNOME and KDE. From the article: 'Specifically, these tools make installing and uninstalling menus, icons, and icon-resources easier for developers. They also can obtain the system's settings on how to handle different file types, and program access to email, the root account, preferred applications, and the screensaver. There's nothing new in this kind of functionality. What is new is that developers can use these regardless of which desktop environment -- KDE or GNOME -- they're targeting.'"
WickedGravity
Sounds like an impressive goal they have there. I will check it out and see if it is anywhere close to what they say it is.

I have been disappointed by similar processes in the past and don't like to get my hopes up over such things.
vicarious
XdgUtils seems to be coming along just fine. the only question I may have is how to get developers to use it in their programming. I have always had high hopes for such a thing, but it always seems to come down to getting people to do it. I think that Linux has not only caught up with, but has surpassed Widows in the OS arena, but where are the OEMs? I will watch this one though, and might even play with it to see if I can fit it in on my own box in some way. I might try the test kit of Portland on some of my current software. Thanks.