FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Folder Freeze

sathiyasri
Hello all!

I have a problem with a folder that keeps on freezing up. Whenever I'm just clicking on that folder or just highlighting it, the whole folder freezes up. I have to wait for like a minute for the freeze to be over, from there then I can access the folder. It doesnt happen if I use other programs (such as winamp) to open up the folder or acess the folder by activating the "folder button" in the explorer and use that, but if I click on the folder directly it freezes up. Other programs don't freeze up, just the folder. Also, when I view the task manager while the folder freezes, it shows two folders (the one that freezes up) not responding, when I just opened up once.

Any help? Thanx
Shin
This is strange. How big is the folder. I mean is there a lot of stuff in it?
gr3gg3r
Have you tried taking all the files out of that folder and putting them in a new folder? (HAVE BACKUP COPIES FIRST IF YOU TRY THIS)

There might be a problem with the hard drive trying to seek for this certain folder. Overtime, as you move, copy, and delete files and folders the hard drive becomes cluttered and quite unorganized with data written in many different sections.

I would suggest that you try defragmenting as well. That helps organize the hard drive better, and is helpful for faster seek times usually.

I hope this helps, and remember to always keep backups of EVERYTHING! =)
exarkun
Are you opening a folder that is in a your thumbdrive? Things like folder freeze might occur if the connection between your computer and thumbdrive is not fast enough.