FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hard Rock and Metal... The Genre With the Most Endurance...

Sifor
I am a huge Metal fan. I have only been into this particular genre for a little over a year, but I have looked into the history of it, and realized how this genre has gotten through some amazing times. Of course, none of the bands were top 40 chart types of people. They had their own little niche of dedicated fans. That was what made metal what it is today. It was never alone, but was seperated fromthe rest. What do you guys think about the achievements these artist have made admsit all the bad things around them that was going on? I think in the end it made the metal heads stronger. Do you guys like hard rock and metal? If so, what are your favorite band or bands?
pll
I like Hard Rock and Metal Smile
My Favs bands are:
Godsmack
Lordi
Nightwish
rob zombie

But I think metal is sometimes too violent, it's why I'm not listening to bands like Cannibal Corpse or Gorgoroth. Also because I don't really like this heavy style...
Anyone saw to the movie : METAL, A HEADBANGERS JOURNEY?

( http://www.metalhistory.com/ )
I saw this documentary and I found it really cool.
Erridan the enchanter
Metal also has the best instramental endurance. The drummer has to keep up a double-bass beat sometimes for songs on end as well as have exilent timing. Guitarist keep up that trembelo picking or hard rythem and the lead guitarist has to hit all those notes with accuaracy. The vocalist can go through enormus strain. And everyone has to be able to switch as soon as a new tempo comes along.

In metal my fav bands are:
Windir
Wintersun
Ensiferum
Borknagar
Nightwish
all-australian-reject
I like a few metal and hard rock bands...But i am realy not into the 'death metal' kind of music. I like these bands:
System of a Down
Superheist
Grinspoon
Nickleback

I read the motley crue auto biography recently, your right about their life. They go through some tough times and all. Sex, Drugs and rock and roll really is what goes on. But i guess that is the same with many other different genres. Although some genre's are put on, like the rap scene. They sort of pretend they are all gangstars and coming from the hard part of the hood, but mostly they are fake. I think more metalers are true to their image.
Sifor
I really don't think that nickelback is Hard Rock or Metal.
all-australian-reject
umm fair enough, i guess i just consider them hard rock because they are alot harder then the usual bands that i listen to e.g. All american rejects, Blink 182.

I guess they would just be rock then Exclamation
achene
I love metal and hard rock. I prefer Power metal and Progressive metal. Im not completely sure which ones are my favorites but i think it might be something like:

Stratovarius
Judas Priest
Symphony X
Edguy
Hammerfall

Not really sure about anything else that stratovarius and Judas Priest. Anyways, this is a guess.

Achene
deleteditems
Lmfao! Nightwish!! Laughing
Vrythramax
I am the frontman for a metal group, and I like this topic....please do not let it degrade into a spam topic with posts resembling the one above this one.
legion
i like only metal ... and if it's brutal than better Wink

examples : Legion Of The Damned, Immortal, Slayer, Dissection, Thanatos, Cattle Decapitation, Occult

and so on ... Twisted Evil
Rosanova
Vrythramax wrote:
I am the frontman for a metal group, and I like this topic....please do not let it degrade into a spam topic with posts resembling the one above this one.

Hi there,

I agree 100%. I've allready tried to start a couple of forums to figure out what Metal is and what Metal is about. But it seems like that it has been tracked out, even that I tried to keep it serious.

Metal history is a big and huge topic that deserve to be treated with respect and handle with care, and I would do my best to keep it on that way. Smile

I know that many has made their version about where and how Metal was born. My oppinion is that Jimi Hendrix made the noice and Black Sabbath made the rythmn, then after a decade we got Metal.

Keep on do good topics!

Cheers!
gnllr
I too like metal for it's timing changes, rhythm, and fast paced beats. It's cool to see how some types of music are similar. Metal has similar timing to some Irish music--like Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance or Riverdance (stepdance). Some things with music must be rooted in our souls.

Metal bands I like:

Pillar
Skillet
Linkin Park
Metallica
Seventh Angel (no longer avail, hard to find)
Six Feet Deep

I have my own band. I play all the instruments and record the music on my PC. I haven't been able to do it lately (family requirements) but it's tons of fun. So far, I have 3 recorded songs and lots of pieces of songs.

Maybe soon I can return to writing music.
Vrythramax
Rosanova wrote:
Hi there,

I agree 100%. I've allready tried to start a couple of forums to figure out what Metal is and what Metal is about. But it seems like that it has been tracked out, even that I tried to keep it serious.

Metal history is a big and huge topic that deserve to be treated with respect and handle with care, and I would do my best to keep it on that way. Smile

I know that many has made their version about where and how Metal was born. My oppinion is that Jimi Hendrix made the noice and Black Sabbath made the rythmn, then after a decade we got Metal.

Keep on do good topics!

Cheers!

Now Ozzy was something in early years! I still listen to thier first album. Smile

Keep on posting people!!
Ducksteina
I love Metal. I'd say 75 % of the music I listen to is Metal. My favourite genres are:

- Death Metal (like Vader or Hypocrisy)
- Melodic Death Metal (Arch Enemy and Scar Symmetry both rock... but Children of Bodom is just godlike!)
- Melodic Thrash Metal (Mercenary is maybe my all-time favourite band)
- Viking Metal (Amon Amarth rocks!)
- Industrial (Metal) (Strapping Young Lad's my favourite)
- Nu Metal (I like Slipknot and Mudvayne)
Jakob [JaWGames]
Aah, metal is the musicgenre I likes most. I am not a fan of the heaviest metal music but more melodic metal like powermetal and progressive metal is very, very good. My favorite bands are the following four:

-Sonata Arctica
-Nightwish
-Vanishing Point
-Dragonland
Vrythramax
Anyone heard of the band Flotsam and Jetsom? I was the singer/song writer on the album "drift"

Beat that Very Happy
Nutteloos
I'm a big fan of basically any progressive or melodic metal, just as long as it doesn't include satanic lyrics and/or excessive grunting.

My favorites:
Dream Theater
Liquid Tension Experiment
Ayreon
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Porcupine Tree
Transatlantic
Rhapsody of Fire (formerly Rhapsody)
Riverside
Muse

... I'm sure there's more
mceejaydee
I love metal. I listen to metal as much as I listen to rap. Especially nu-metal like KoRn and Mudvayne. I understand that some people here hate nu-metal but don't start an arguement here please Very Happy
tizziano
music is the best art , and in music metal is the best genre of it , i love this genre , becouse it makes me feel like i'm gonna be the soiothfastes in the world , or i'm so Dumb , anyway it's wonderfull,

my bands :

Tool
Death
Opeth
Symphony X
Iced Earth
Vrythramax
mceejaydee wrote:
I love metal. I listen to metal as much as I listen to rap. Especially nu-metal like KoRn and Mudvayne. I understand that some people here hate nu-metal but don't start an arguement here please Very Happy

You will get no arguements from me....I love new metal as much as the classics. Matter of fact, I'm listening to Korn - See you on the other side right now....I like it. Smile

Arguements about music will be thumped....quickly. Play nice people. Smile
gnllr
Anyone do any home recording of orginial music on your PC? I have been doing some off and on for 5 years. You can get a bunch of free software like a drum program, a multi-track recorder, and a wave editor. Once I get my website up and running, I'll post a link so you can check out my music. I'm looking for a better free drum program. I'm currently using Hammerhead which is okay but it was originally designed for house music. I need more drum pieces that sound good for metal.
gtherockgod
My favorite metal bands include Sabbath, Opeth, Cob, Clutch, Gwar, Mastodon, Pantera, Behemoth...good stuff Very Happy
Mosquito.Tyler
gtherockgod wrote:
My favorite metal bands include Sabbath, Opeth, Cob, Clutch, Gwar, Mastodon, Pantera, Behemoth...good stuff Very Happy

Ah, another Scumdog, groovy.

Anyway, I used to be a big fan of metal, now I'm the kind of guy who will listen to whatever the mood calls for. Except country (*shudder*).
I am a big fan of Metallica, simply because throughout their years they have stayed one of the more well known groups. Even when David Mustaine left metallica, and formed Megadeth, metallica remained a big band. Megadeth came to be another great band as well (even if Mustaine is a druggie Razz).

So lets review, Metallica has remained a popular metal band for a very long time, and have spawned another great band (megadeth).

Stuff for the record books methinks.
Vrythramax
Laughing "scumdog".....I don't know if that's a compliment or insult. Wink

But I must wear the title as well....according to the wishes of others.
Rosanova
Vrythramax wrote:
Anyone heard of the band Flotsam and Jetsom? I was the singer/song writer on the album "drift"

Beat that Very Happy

Hi there,

I can only conclude that it's a big shame that you didn't got much more response for this add. Flotsam and Jetsam, was one of the greatest bands in the 80'es. But if you told that it was here Jason Newsted had his roots maybe it could make more awakeness. Sad that he left for Metallica, as it seemed that they did forgot how great Bassplayer he is.

A big hail to you, I'm proud to add this reply. Smile

Cheers!
Rosanova
Hi there,

2006 was really a great release year.

Borknagar - Origin
Celtic Frost - Monotheist (One of the greatest news)
Deicide - The Stench of Redemption
Dio - Holy Diver Live
Doro - Warrior Soul
Kampfar - Kvass
Manowar - Sons Of Odin
My Dying Bride - A Line Of Deathless Kings
Joe Satriani - Super Colossal
Sepultura - Dante XXI

... I've even heard that Type'o'Negative are working on new material.

I can only be better..... Smile

Cheers!
Vrythramax
Rosanova wrote:
Hi there,

I can only conclude that it's a big shame that you didn't got much more response for this add. Flotsam and Jetsam, was one of the greatest bands in the 80'es. But if you told that it was here Jason Newsted had his roots maybe it could make more awakeness. Sad that he left for Metallica, as it seemed that they did forgot how great Bassplayer he is.

A big hail to you, I'm proud to add this reply. Smile

Cheers!

I hope you liked it, the album that is Smile

....and Thank You.
Rosanova
Vrythramax wrote:

....and Thank You.

Hi,

I think that it's an another great album, and I did also went into your home site, found that you're a great writer. Could you have been inspired by Mr. OO mental Smile (Tried to make something 007 of Ozzy Osbourne, but failed)

Any way would I just wish all who had been active here in this topic, a Happy new year. It seems like to be another great metal year, as many new releases is upcoming, I'm specially looking foreward to the new King Diamond album, but Metallica has also something going on and I really hope that the would made up their last mistake.

Cheers!
achowles
Off the top of my head:

Fear Factory
Turmion Kätilöt
Biomechanical
Mercenary
Nevermore
Strapping Young Lad
Amorphis
Oceansize
Pelican
Control Denied
Disarmonia Mundi
Evergrey
Opeth
Meshuggah
Mors Principium Est
Ram-Zet
Interlok

...and many more are all loved by me.
ohiohxc
A list of my favorite hardcore and metal bands....

- The Classic Struggle
- The Acacia Strain
- Emmure
- Evergreen Terrace
- A Perfect Circle
- Chimaira
- Unveil Nevaeh
- The Masrs Volta
- Caliban
- A Life Once Lost
- Team Sleep
- Unearth
- All Shall Perish
- The Chariot
- Tony Danza
- Poison The Well
- From A Second Story Window
- It Dies Today
- Bury Your Dead
- Decapitated
- August Burns Red
- God Forbid
- Remembering Never
- Meshuggah
- Lamb of God
- Misery Signals
- Ion Dissonance
- Norma Jean
- As I Lay Dying
- Sepultura
- Killswitch Engage
- Hatebreed
- Through The Eyes Of The Dead
- Everytime I Die
- Blood Has Been Shed
- Dead To Fall
Vrythramax
Rosanova wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

....and Thank You.

Hi,

I think that it's an another great album, and I did also went into your home site, found that you're a great writer. Could you have been inspired by Mr. OO mental Smile (Tried to make something 007 of Ozzy Osbourne, but failed)

Any way would I just wish all who had been active here in this topic, a Happy new year. It seems like to be another great metal year, as many new releases is upcoming, I'm specially looking foreward to the new King Diamond album, but Metallica has also something going on and I really hope that the would made up their last mistake.

Cheers!

my lyrics came from life. but I am definatly happy you liked them... they/are a work of passion. I would consider it an honor to write for you.
Vrythramax
Rosanova wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

....and Thank You.

Hi,

Cheers!

my lyrics came from life...maybe I could write you one day Smile
7Pound7
It's all pop music.

I like metal pop music and lots of other stuff. the great thing about metal is the high level of energy in it. It can really boost your own energy levels
emjawa
Iron Maiden is my portion of metal for the day. I'd like to get into more metal but I odn't really know where to start! I quite like Judas Priest too, and RATM, Rammstein and SOAD but I'm not sure how metal they are? I'm not very good at this whole genre business.
Darius
Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Manowar, AC-DC, Black Sabbath and many more...I went from RAP to heavy club music and ended up with Rock, Metal. Why i finaly chose to take this path is because of this kind of music has incredible lyrics. Let's take Black Sabbath as an example. You won't find lyrics that would be identical (apart from POP music). How meany of you read song texts? The loudnes and hardnes, that is critisized by many, and said to have no point, clearly shows how some people are short minded (it's only my opinion), since they "boo" it because it's "not the music that everyone listens to". The energy that "Manowars" word give, the electrifying screaming of "Rob Halford", deep thought of King Crimson...You won't fing anything like that.
Blu_Spykz
Iron Maiden / Judas Priest is as metal-ly I go. I *LIKE* loud music, but listen to Alt. Rock more than any form of metal
Darius
Blu_Spykz wrote:
Iron Maiden / Judas Priest is as metal-ly I go. I *LIKE* loud music, but listen to Alt. Rock more than any form of metal

...is a metal-ly I go...what does that mean anyway?
Vrythramax
Darius wrote:
Blu_Spykz wrote:

Metal-like possibly? I wouldn't want to further a guess anymore than that, but I would like to add that the mentioned bands are most certainly metal bands and not just metal-like.
lolDave
My fav metal Bands:

Dream Theatre
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Dokken
Y&T
Rough Cut
Dio
RAMMSTEIN!!!!
Nitro

Progressive

Tony MacAlpine
Steve Vai
Michael Angelo
Darius
...is a metal-ly I go...what does that mean anyway?[/quote]

Metal-like possibly? I wouldn't want to further a guess anymore than that, but I would like to add that the mentioned bands are most certainly metal bands and not just metal-like.[/quote]

They are sertainly not metal-like bands. And by saying that you only showed that you don't know much about metal music.
Vrythramax
Darius wrote:

Quote:
Metal-like possibly? I wouldn't want to further a guess anymore than that, but I would like to add that the mentioned bands are most certainly metal bands and not just metal-like.
Quote:

They are sertainly not metal-like bands. And by saying that you only showed that you don't know much about metal music.

Taken from someone who can't spell "certainly", and who most certainly doesn't know me nor my history.....I won't argue any futher.

Know who you are talking too before you speak.

And please use the proper quotation tags. That is an official request.
Darius
I didn't mean you, Vrythramax.
missdixy
I'm not a huge metal fan, fun some of the metal bands I do like are:

System of a down
Skillet
As I lay Dying
Pillar
Rammstein <33
Vrythramax
Darius wrote:
I didn't mean you, Vrythramax.

It's all good Smile

I am a singer btw....mostly metal...but I do some blues also. A former member of the church choir. Smile
Cephalic_Carnage
I love metal, the only music I really listen to anymore. When I first started, I listened to stuff like Korn and Metallica. Now I've explored a bunch of sub-genres(which there is a rediculous amount of) And found that my favorites are Death Metal, Deathgrind, Brutal Death Metal, Technical Death Metal, Thrash Metal, Deaththrash, Grindcore, Deathcore, Black Metal, and Blackened Death Metal. A lot of bands I like are

Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, Impaled(my favorite), Cephalic Carnage, Beneath The Massacre, Belphegor, Necrophobic, Necrophagist, Burzum, Mayhem, Destroyer 666, Demiricous, All Shall Perish, Amputated, Deicide, Malevolent Creation, Leviathan, Disgorge, Exhumed, Devourment, Nile, Emperor, Dissection, Dying Fetus, Napalm Death, Carcass, Cryptopsy, Kataklysm, Vader, Origin, Severe Torture, Slayer, The Berzerker, and many others.
Darius
That some hevy bands...by the way, i'm really against Rammstein...music is not bad but lyrics are the weakest point. Theyr saying the same text over and over in most cases.
Vrythramax
Darius wrote:
That some hevy bands...by the way, i'm really against Rammstein...music is not bad but lyrics are the weakest point. Theyr saying the same text over and over in most cases.

Itis spelled "heavy metal bands' and that's the proper spelling, it is theye're heavy and/or metal bands....try to read the poper posts already in the official posts about proper spelling and syntax...or at least try to comply.

Sheesh.
Darius
oh common. I know i'm ain't that good at grammar, but that doesn't mean you have to correct each and every of my errors Smile
Vrythramax
Darius wrote:
oh common. I know i'm ain't that good at grammar, but that doesn't mean you have to correct each and every of my errors Smile

Very true.....I'll back off and try to play nice....I apologize.
Rosanova
Vrythramax wrote:
Darius wrote:

Itis spelled "heavy metal bands' and that's the proper spelling, it is theye're heavy and/or metal bands....try to read the poper posts already in the official posts about proper spelling and syntax...or at least try to comply.

Sheesh.

Hi There!

There is a Firefox plug-in called "FoxLingo" Try it! Smile (It can only do translating, not gramma, Sorry!), but there is dictionary plug-in for firefox, and even html tidy. I love firefox Smile

Cheers!
Rosanova
Vrythramax wrote:
Rosanova wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:

....and Thank You.

Hi,

Cheers!

my lyrics came from life...maybe I could write you one day Smile

Hi there,

If you went into rosanova.frih.net and check out the blog, you might find some inspiration to making lyrics of from the "real" life. It's written in Swedish, and it only part one out of as far 3 but more is coming. Good lock with the translation, but I think that you can find out what it's about.

Cheers!
Rosanova
Vrythramax wrote:

Beat that Very Happy

Hi again,

I forgot to say that I really love Jason's Bass work in Metalshock, and I still don't understand what he was doing in Metallica, as what I allready have mentioned that his extremly brilliant musically qualities went forgotten in Metallica. May Metallica rest in pain for that...! (And they did...!)

Btw. was your artist name Eric "A.K." Knutson?

Cheers
Vrythramax
I stand corrcted for my spelling errors.....not meaning to make excuses here....but I type too fast.

I apologize for any and all errors....and I am sure more will happen in the future Sad

*note* the lyrics for "drift" can be found on my website Wink
Vrythramax
Darius wrote:
Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Manowar, AC-DC, Black Sabbath and many more...I went from RAP to heavy club music and ended up with Rock, Metal. Why i finaly chose to take this path is because of this kind of music has incredible lyrics. Let's take Black Sabbath as an example. You won't find lyrics that would be identical (apart from POP music). How meany of you read song texts? The loudnes and hardnes, that is critisized by many, and said to have no point, clearly shows how some people are short minded (it's only my opinion), since they "boo" it because it's "not the music that everyone listens to". The energy that "Manowars" word give, the electrifying screaming of "Rob Halford", deep thought of King Crimson...You won't fing anything like that.

Gee....I wish you would include Flotsam & Jetsomes first album in there how about "cowboys from hell" or Motorhead...Lemme rocks!King Diamond, Arash of Stabbings....your missing out brother.

BTW....I know longer sing....I lost my best friend a few months ago, well it started a few months ago....right around Thanksgiving.....she just said "goodbye" in the last few days.

I miss her horribly. Crying or Very sad
Rosanova
Vrythramax wrote:
I stand corrcted for my spelling errors.....not meaning to make excuses here....but I type too fast.

I apologize for any and all errors....and I am sure more will happen in the future Sad

*note* the lyrics for "drift" can be found on my website Wink

Hi there,

I don't think that spelling errors is as big problems as it has been made to. The most important things is the meaning, and if you understand the meaning, can spelling errors be the same.

Cheers!
Rosanova
Vrythramax wrote:

Gee....I wish you would include Flotsam & Jetsomes first album in there how about "cowboys from hell" or Motorhead...Lemme rocks!King Diamond, Arash of Stabbings....your missing out brother.

I agree!
Vrythramax wrote:

BTW....I know longer sing....I lost my best friend a few months ago, well it started a few months ago....right around Thanksgiving.....she just said "goodbye" in the last few days.

I miss her horribly. Crying or Very sad

Max I'm sure that you would return, but take the time you need.

Big condolence from here.

Cheers!