FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RAM and Processor Cards

Dodga
i am looking to find a RAM card. and also a processor card. My pc is old so i cant just get a normal processor. if anyone knows where i could find one. please pm me.

i know these are hard to find so i dont expect many of you to know about them.
psycosquirrel
There is no such thing as a processor card unless you have a wierd Mac or one of those wierd AM2/939 AsRocks boards. Same with RAM card, unless you are talking about using the RAM like a hard drive (and they are EXPENSIVE).

You need to just get a new computer. They are cheap enough so that you should be able to afford one. Look at www.dell.com, some of their budget machines are very affordable...
corey
You'll need to be more descriptive. There are far too many computers out there for us to be able to guess what kind of hardware that you need or what you already have.

psycosquirrel, you are wrong about the processor card thing. Intel produced a whole line of socket 370 Celerons that could be used on the P-II slot 1 interface if you had the card for it. Some Sun processors are on a card, as well.

If your computer is really old, though (older than Pentium 3 or AMD Duron processor), I'd consider upgrading if you can. If you are on the internet with this computer then you'll want a reasonably modern operating system (due to the technology and resistance to exploits), and they need more powerful computers. You don't have to buy a new one if you have a good second hand shop, classified ads, or a local Freecycle group. You may even get a nice machine (or the parts) for free.
psycosquirrel
corey wrote:
psycosquirrel, you are wrong about the processor card thing. Intel produced a whole line of socket 370 Celerons that could be used on the P-II slot 1 interface if you had the card for it. Some Sun processors are on a card, as well.

I doubt he has a P2, and even still, that is not a processor card. The processor is just so old it is a slot processor from before the days of sockets...

I don't know about Sun processors though, but what is the chance that he is running on a Sun workstation?
TheGeek
Actually Dave, the PII's and PIII's both used card based processors. The PIII that is in my dorm right now is fitted on a card that fits into a slot on the motherboard. It is possible that he is still running a PIII. I am atleast Very Happy

It will be kind of hard to find these. Your best bet is to check out ebay or craigslist.com

It would also help if you described your system a little bit better Very Happy, you were a tad undescriptive in your first post.
diduknowthat
I doubt you'd even want to bother upgrading it's ram and processor, as it is so old you'll have trouble finding them.

As for ram, if it's a P2-3 slot cpu, it should run off of PC100 or PC133 SDRAM. I'm pretty sure newegg still sells SDRAM, but def not slot processors.

We'll definetly need more details regarding your computer before telling you what to get. Try running programs like everest which tells you about your computer.
technology.sponge
Dodga is probably referring to one of the mile old P1/earlier computers. I've had a play with quite a few, and opened and scavenged from quite a few of these early pc's too.

Ram card - im guessing this is the daughterboard. Before ram slots were on the motherboard, there would be a rectangle like slot with multiple pins in whihc u inserted the daughterboard, and the ram into that

Processor card - kinda lost there but is it lyk the P2's? big fat chunky pcb risign from the mobo instead of a socket?