FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Bleeping dialog





HoboPelican
This has been on my mind for awhile now. When watching TV or listening to the radio in the US, you are likely to hear curse words "bleeped" out of conversations. I understand this, although it seems pretty silly to me. However, I'm really curious about how we bleep out "God" from the phrase "God Damn". So instead of "God damn you", you hear "__ damn you".
It doesn't make sense to me, since "damn" is the swear word, not "God".

Can anyone explain why this is done? It is driving me nuts!



BTW- I posted this in General Chat since it seems to cross the lines of Religion, Movies and TV.
RT Cunningham
Some of the folks that do not believe in God find it offensive to hear to word spoken. An individual in California, for example, tried to the have the Pledge of Allegiance banned or changed because it contained "one nation, under God" which offended him.

I agree, bleeping out swear words is really silly in our present day and age. I believe only the publicly broadcasted channels do that (as opposed to paid for premium channels). Heck, look what happened with the nipple slip from Janet Jackson during the Super Bowl halftime show. You'd think that no one had ever seen a breast before with all that fallout.

Speaking of breasts, I get to see way too much of them here in the Philippines every time someone decides to breast feed. But that's a another topic in itself.
meet in rio
Swear words themselves are a bit silly. I mean, what we deem to be offensive is societal; we ourselves make these words taboo.

Sorry, that was frighteningly obvious, wasn't it? Eh. Back in my box.
mschnell
RT Cunningham wrote:
Some of the folks that do not believe in God find it offensive to hear to word spoken. An individual in California, for example, tried to the have the Pledge of Allegiance banned or changed because it contained "one nation, under God" which offended him.


Just a thought, but I don't think this has anything to do with saying a curse using the word God. They're offended because our nation's supposed to have no national religion but that phrase has Christian implications. In my mind, as soon as you say the word "damn" you've implied religion in a way because you're bringing up hell. I don't know why they bleep the word God out.
Shake
I think they need to just bleep out the whole phrase "God damn you" with a longer bleep rather than just the "God" part of it. So, instead of "___ damn you." you get "____________." Problem solved. I'm not going to say that we should not have censorship, becasue that would upset a lot of people.
vw_bugg
Blasphemy offends a great number of people. A large part of the population is praticing a christian based religon.
Lady_Star
Many religions that use and believe in the 10 commandments feel that it is a sin or wrong to use god's name in vain. Depending on the version of the Ten Commandments it is commandment #2 or #3. Saying "god damn you" is considered using god's name in vain or wrongfully so they have to bleep the "god" out of it. The FCC does not prohibit the use of the word "damn" so it is allowed... This is at least my understanding of how it works anyhow... hope it is of some help.
GOD13
meet in rio wrote:
Swear words themselves are a bit silly. I mean, what we deem to be offensive is societal; we ourselves make these words taboo.

Sorry, that was frighteningly obvious, wasn't it? Eh. Back in my box.


Exactly. They are silly words in general.
HoboPelican
Lady_Star wrote:
Many religions that use and believe in the 10 commandments feel that it is a sin or wrong to use god's name in vain. Depending on the version of the Ten Commandments it is commandment #2 or #3. Saying "god damn you" is considered using god's name in vain or wrongfully so they have to bleep the "god" out of it. The FCC does not prohibit the use of the word "damn" so it is allowed... This is at least my understanding of how it works anyhow... hope it is of some help.


Hmm, that might explain it. I was pretty sure I've heard the word "god" used alone, as an expletive, but I'm not positive. I'll have to pay more attention.
Droop
HoboPelican wrote:
This has been on my mind for awhile now. When watching TV or listening to the radio in the US, you are likely to hear curse words "bleeped" out of conversations. I understand this, although it seems pretty silly to me. However, I'm really curious about how we bleep out "God" from the phrase "God Damn". So instead of "God damn you", you hear "__ damn you".
It doesn't make sense to me, since "damn" is the swear word, not "God".

Can anyone explain why this is done? It is driving me nuts!



BTW- I posted this in General Chat since it seems to cross the lines of Religion, Movies and TV.


Well it's all crap, they shoun't bleep anything, i mean come on now, we all know the curse words and of course so do the little ones, just like T & A on tv hah well with some exception there shoul'nt be xxx on tv, but what wrong with a little nipple and or thongs - they'll show a babys rump on tv but not a grown females behind sad if u tell me, what happend to freedom of speech - that's the directors way of expressing himself i donno, i just wanna move back to germany lol way better tv and movies on tv make more sence without all the bleeping!!
Blaster
Good point hobo. They also bleep out words like Cocain but will keep damn in the same song. Someone needs to get tidruG in here. He's an enienum ( i butchered that) fan. This seems to happen a lot in his songs. I've always wanted to know this myself.
snowboardalliance
It's the christians not liking how it is used, and others not liking the fact that it is saying god on TV.

I personally hate censorship anyway.
schudder
Censorship is a load of crap.

Which reminds me, it's funny how they can say "crap" on tv, but not "shit", even though they're synonyms.

Anyway, the US is probably one of the only Western countries that uses such an insane amount of censorship in its media. Here in Belgium, it's uncommon to see swearwords on the front page of large newspapers (not that it happens every day, but I read an article today that featured the word "******" 6 times in the first paragraph (it referenced a title containing said word). It's not uncommon to see/hear some (mild) nudity or swearing during newsreports or whatever.

The FCC is just a rediculous institution only being held alive by puritan idiots who are the only reason why people WANT to censor those words. After all, it is the people who create taboos, they don't create themselves.

I mean, ABC (I think) got a HUGE multi-million dollar fine from the FCC cause it forgot to censor out one single "******" out of the Live8 broadcast (in the song "who are you" from The Who).

Crazy I tell you.

edit:
And I can't believe Bondings, also Belgian, set up such grotesk censorship on his own forums. Btw, that first |censored| is sh*t. Just again goes to show how synonyms are treated differently just cause of some silly taboo and whatnot.
Blaster
schudder wrote:

edit:
And I can't believe Bondings, also Belgian, set up such grotesk censorship on his own forums. Btw, that first |censored| is sh*t. Just again goes to show how synonyms are treated differently just cause of some silly taboo and whatnot.

Theres a lot of kids on this forum and it just looks better. I know some people that are like 10. Most here are under the age of 20 so thats why i think he does that.
Related topics
How to make a Tabbed Dialog ?
open with.. dialog box shown in clicking drive ( C: and D: )
Unwanted Dialog Box: Type your Name and Password
Can I open Dialog Boxes from a Browser
avoid super cookies
Great php editor
Windows Tips&tricks!
[java scripts] Text effect , img ....
DJ turntable out of an old mouse
Warcraft 3 wont run
Why use IE?
751 Useful Windows XP Files
Linux & Windows
GTA: San Andreas PC (OFFICIAL THREAD)
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.