FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A way to stop loading Win 98

thejesh_ap
Simple, create a file called win.com in the root directory of the drive in which win 98 is installed. for eg: create a blank file "win.com" in C:\ drive. reboot ur PC & see, it will come till command prompt, executes Autoexec.bat & displays a message "Error loading exe file". Explanation is simple. The startup routine searches for a file called "win.com" (its actuall location is C:\WINDOWS) to load windows. It will look in directories specified in PATH environment variable. As we know current directory is the first directory to search, the root directory will be searched first for "win.com" & as we have created a blank file named "win.com" in root directory, it tries to load the file & finds an error in the .EXE header of that file. So, it displays a message like "Error loading exe file" & stops.

Ok, enough of fun. If u want to restore the normal execution, either change the directory to C:\WINDOWS & type "win" or delete the blank file we have created & reboot.
wicke
I think that is also possible by editing autoexec.bat and deleting line "win" there. I haven't tested because I have currently only MS-DOS 6.22 on my computer. To start Windows, use command "win" in Windows' directory and to run it automatically, add "win" back to autoexec.bat file.
badai
there is no such line. win.com will be run by system unless you edit msdos.sys not to start as GUI.

wicke wrote:
I think that is also possible by editing autoexec.bat and deleting line "win" there. I haven't tested because I have currently only MS-DOS 6.22 on my computer. To start Windows, use command "win" in Windows' directory and to run it automatically, add "win" back to autoexec.bat file.