FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Has Anyone Heard of This?

Dean_The_Great
I've recently met someone who has emotional allergic reactions to things. Exposures to certain kinds of shampoos, detergents, fragrances, etc. can trigger an emotional response such as anger, depression, etc.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Or suffer from it themselves? I'd like to know if you do/have.
HoboPelican
Dean_The_Great wrote:
I've recently met someone who has emotional allergic reactions to things. Exposures to certain kinds of shampoos, detergents, fragrances, etc. can trigger an emotional response such as anger, depression, etc.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Or suffer from it themselves? I'd like to know if you do/have.

Thats a new one to me. Googled it and found this...
Quote:
A MEDICAL CONTROVERSY
Brain allergy or ecological mental illness is a general term used to describe any abnormal reaction to a food or other substance that creates psychological, emotional, or neurological symptoms. The existence of brain allergy is widely disputed by many mainstream allergists, even though numerous other researchers and doctors have been convinced since the early 1900s that some individuals can be mentally impaired by exposure to certain foods or chemicals.

Indeed, the abnormal reactions involved in brain allergy have been documented in medical literature for over a century. Since the 1950s, an appreciation of the intimate connection between mental and physical health has been gradually gaining momentum and with that has come an increase in clinical studies in the area. As the convincing clinical evidence begins to make the case clearer and clearer, awareness and acceptance of brain allergies among orthodox physicians and psychiatrists has continued to grow, albeit very slowly.

http://www.wholeapproach.com/newsletter/pop200304.html

From that I looked into "brain allergy" and found a lot more. It sounds sort of iffy to me, but I am not a big believer in alternative medical thought. Not saying it is BS, just that I prefer to see more scientific studies.[/url]
toughtrio
Well, that seems to be pretty annoying, and at the same time too cool. Like you could feel happy at your will, and remain happy for the rest of your life. But then accidents are borne to happen, if someone ACCIDENTALLY uses a shampoo or any other ALLERGIC-TO-YOU item in front of you by MISTAKE, then you are out of your mind.

This could also be used for wrong purposes, like someone delibrately trying to make a person angry due to some evil intentions.

Thank God we are not like this, and hope that we always remain NORMAL Wink .

Warm Regards,
Abdul Basit
RhysAndrews
I used to be emotionally allergic to Bananas. Funny, huh? Yeah, but I used to either get hyper (like once, I ate a banana, then got a bucket of water and dumped it on my dads head), or very depressed. I'm good now, but I used to be emotionally allergic.

-Rhys
craigpayne1985
i once had a reaction to some pink soap, brough me in a rash all over...only happened the once, but now i gotta fear of soap *sniffs pits*
fromegame
Never heard of that before.. Emotional Allergic Reactions..

I do know pills against authism, which if you take an overdose, you'll get depressed by it.
egbert
I'm definetely emotionally allergic to homework.
Smile.

Look, things affect people's moods.

If someone gives me a cheeseburger, I'm going to be happy.
If someone gives me an empty bottle to throw away, I'm going to be mad.

This isn't really a disorder, unless it's extreme. In which case, it's something similar to bipolar or whatever.

And even if it is some weird disorder, it is definitely not a disorder of the immune system, but rather the mind. It shouldn't be called an "allergic reaction".
izimngcubes15
No...I never heard of that before.... O.o
Dean_The_Great
toughtrio wrote:
But then accidents are borne to happen, if someone ACCIDENTALLY uses a shampoo or any other ALLERGIC-TO-YOU item in front of you by MISTAKE, then you are out of your mind.

In fact this DID happen, and it was terrible. I switched shampoos and it made my friend depressed whenever they were with me for a few hours. It sucked really really bad, and it took a month before we connected the shampoo to the depression.
Aless
Well, the food thing is legit, as they've actually proven that certain chemicals in things like chocolate & fatty foods cause us to released endorphins, making us happy. This is why we feel good & positive after eating a slice of chocolate cake, but not a plate full of spinach (though personally, I love spinach and eating it makes me feel good, hehe).
jongoldsz
Food can change emotions, give a girl a box of choclates... Anyway, smells could trigger it, depending on the persons life. EX: If one's Ex, had the same perfume as someone, that person knows, and the person hates their Ex, the perfume could trigger hatered.
hofodomo01
is it really the chocolate, or just the fact that you're getting a gift?

because we all love free stuff...
leat397
It seems not too susprise to me. Of course not I suffering from any of these allegries. However I did heard fpor long that smell could arouse people intention to eat, to sleep, to sex Embarassed ...and so and so..

For sure, allegric comes with more influential consequences and sometimes is fatal. If somebody here suspects himself who having these kind of effects...I encourage you should have a thorough medical checking Confused

ps. Today is Black Friday...don't go for it today..haha
rightclickscott
That kind of thing happens to my friend, (who shall remain unnamed because she'll be mad at me if I post it), because whenever she hears a certain song, it reminds her of her ex boyfriend. That's the only real link to it I have, though.
darvit
Wow, this is very interesting!

My only doubt about this concept is that, for some people, it could be entirely fake or self-induced. Maybe the person is unconsciously doing it to him/herself. There are many factors that cause us to feel certain emotions, but yeah, this phenomenon is a good new possibility.
Dezrok
Hmmm, when I eat too much chocolate the glands at the side of my eyes go weird and I seem to start to "cry". I wonder if this relates somehow...
Dragonfly
What is that? This is my response to the Subject or call it the name of the thread. I wish you could include the term there itself.

After clicking the thread I came to know what you are asking. I haven't heard about this term. Its somewhat strange how a person can react to the smell of something and get annoyed whatsoever..
erlendhg
Really..?
Has never heard of it
Didn't know about anything like that.
Must be rare...
genchan
No. This is the first time I have heard of such things.

I wonder if the emotional impact from detergents and stuff has anything to do with the smell as smell can affect a person's emotion.

Just a thought..
sodredge
genchan wrote:

I wonder if the emotional impact from detergents and stuff has anything to do with the smell as smell can affect a person's emotion.

Just a thought..

That makes sense, I recall the old lineage of grandparents and fresh baked pies. How the smell brings back happy images and puts us in a direct mood relating to the substance which we just smelled. Alas the same works for foul smells to.

Wish everything was just pie then. Very Happy
Droop
Dean_The_Great wrote:

Only in movies for me Neutral sorry no help here
mceejaydee
Wow O.o That's pretty interesting.
DecayClan
Wow, new to me.. Interesting... I wouldn't like to be that person, or near that person though...especially, if he/she is in the army and has a gun... Razz
Imagine thm having a gun at a very delicate situation, and then the exterior allergic factor comes in, and he/she starts killing people like crazy... Razz

P.S:I HATE ALLERGIES< I HATE ALLERGIES!!! i have many mysellf, not food, or so, but mainly, flowers,dust,cats.... I HATE IT
soulman
Never heard this before, but I can get the meaning after google it... but I thaught it is not a big deal really...
Josso
New news to me, sounds interesting... would be seriously annoying for the person that had it though.
xyweb
Never heard of that before...really?
2m4a
This is the first time I have heard of this things
silverandgreeneyes
Well, it seems to be something that is purely in someones head. But yeah, certain smells, colours, sounds, and tastes can trigger emotional reactions due to past experiences. Makes sense to me.