FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wait for Windows Vista to buy PC?

Cibes
I'm planing to buy a laptop the next 6 months.
But now that everybody is talking about the great features - and even more about the many problems - with Vista Betas I am wondering if I should wait till the new computers come with windows vista or rather get the old OS system? How long will I be able to run the latest programms and games on XP? And what about compatability of "old" applications on the new Windows? I read that Windows locks out some (security) programms from other companies Confused
Animal
Apparently, if you buy a new PC over the coming months, Microsoft will give you a free upgrade to Vista in certain circumstances.
SurBiff
either way you decides to buy now or whait,

the prices on hardware (thats powefull enough for vista) will drop, so if i were you i should whait.
pll
Yup, I agree.
Many of computer seller's will sell the computer with Windows Vista already installed on the PC.
Cibes
Cool, I had not heard about the free upgrades yet, so that won't be influencing when I buy it. Anyway I'll probably wait at least for xmas offers.
Thanks
cdesegovia
Well I installed Windows Vista RC1, did Windows update and guess what:

a new driver was installed and I got a blue screen of death. So I'm back to Win XP.

Cibes wrote:
I'm planing to buy a laptop the next 6 months.
But now that everybody is talking about the great features - and even more about the many problems - with Vista Betas I am wondering if I should wait till the new computers come with windows vista or rather get the old OS system? How long will I be able to run the latest programms and games on XP? And what about compatability of "old" applications on the new Windows? I read that Windows locks out some (security) programms from other companies Confused
servant2work4god
I agree on waiting for Christmas for sales if you want to buy now and upgrade later. Just make sure whatever you buy will be able to be upgraded to vista, hardware wise, later.
jipmerite
Laptop hardware is not that easy to upgrade. Especially the Graphics card. And Vista needs a 128MB card to run properly. So better decide on the appropriate hardware when buying a laptop.
corey
All answers about when to buy are definitely right. This is not a good time to buy in countries where Christmas is a big commercial deal, as the prices are higher than they should be at the moment. As the holiday approaches, you'll see better deals. Often, around late January and early February, the manufacturers announce new chips and video hardware, causing a drop in prices for current hardware, too. Something to watch for.
medievalman26
I would say don't waste money on a new computer just wait for until yoiu can buy the OS and well buy it and install it after backin up your files and what not. I still will stay with XP for a while. At least until my current computer breaks down.
KHO
I saw the word "Laptop" in a "Vista" thread Neutral. lol.

Windows Vista is too graphics and CPU intensive to run properly on any laptop without risking some meltdowns. Neutral

I have BETA tested Vista and found that while it may be visually stunning, it is too intensive, I think it is a waste to plan on using it as for any graphics related projects you would likely need multiple graphics cards and a Dual Core CPU or two Neutral. Thats more money than I am willing to invest on anything microsoft oriented Neutral.
SurBiff
Quote:
Thats more money than I am willing to invest on anything microsoft oriented Neutral.

I agree to that, completely!
I think more people should think of what they want to spend their moneyon, sush as software as Microsoft Windows,
I'm not gonna spend any money on Windows any more, and thats because i've explored Linux and find out that Linux is just as god as Windows and even better in some ways.
I'm not saying you all should change to Linux, im just saying that its too bad their still people that dont realise the fact that Windows is sucking money out of everyone they can.
Animal
This has become a bit of a Vista-bashing thread. Please post all your opinions in the Official Topic.

Cibes wrote:
Cool, I had not heard about the free upgrades yet, so that won't be influencing when I buy it. Anyway I'll probably wait at least for xmas offers.
Thanks

It seems that the original query has been answered anyway.

-close-