FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How you can crash your own windows

barryforever
Hello guys want to show off infront of your friends that you can hack..
Here is a small trick that I have found ..Check it out..
You can crash your Windows Xp

jc-denton submits "Windows XP has a "feature" (???) with which it is possible to manually crash a system by simply holding the right CTRL key and pressing the "Scroll Lock" key twice." So you can have fun playing pranks on people by enabling this feature, I figure its for developers to test how things work when the system crashes, now you can crash it on the fly by enabling the feature described in the link.

Quote:1. Start regedit. (If you are unfamiliar with regedit, please refer to this FAQ)
2. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters
3. Create a new DWORD value and name it CrashOnCtrlScroll
4. Right-click on this newly created value and click on Modify
5. Enter 1 in the Value data field and click on OK.
6. Close regedit and reboot your system.
7. Now you can blue screen (crash) your system by holding the right CTRL key and pressing "Scroll Lock" twice.

Note:

Your system may reboot or show a blue screen whenever this crash is initiated. If your system reboots after initiating the crash, and you want to see the blue screen, follow these steps:

1. Go to Control Panel > System
2. Click on the Advanced tab
3. Under Startup and Recovery, click the Settings button.
4. Under System failure, uncheck the option Automatically restart.
desertwind
Actually you dont need to do all these. Just wait for a few minutes, windows will crash by itself for no reason
Nitrus
DO NOT EDIT YOUR REGISTRY!

Thats the worst thing to do to windows. It will eventually mess itself up and there will be an exploit for spyware.

And dont you think your a little too old to be crashing peoples comps for fun?
Bones
Nitrus wrote:

Thats the worst thing to do to windows. It will eventually mess itself up and there will be an exploit for spyware.

Editing your registry is completely safe as long as you know what you are doing.

If you don't know what you are doing, then yes stay away from it.
{name here}
desertwind wrote:
Actually you dont need to do all these. Just wait for a few minutes, windows will crash by itself for no reason

That's if you're running 9x. I've never had a crash in my NT kernel experience. Then again I have nothing running like a scanner or firewall on my XP machine so I don't have to wish for program draino to clear up that crap running in the background.
SurBiff
desertwind wrote:

that whas a really great comment, i could not have said it better my self Cool

sorry all of you windows fans, its not personal.
lukeropro
By the blue screen does he mean the Blue Screen of Death?
Daniel15
Wikipedia has more information on this "feature":
Quote:
Windows includes a feature that can be used to cause a blue screen manually. To enable it, the user must add a value to the Windows registry. After that, a BSoD will appear when the user presses the SCROLL LOCK key twice while holding the right CTRL key.[4] This feature is primarily useful for obtaining a memory dump of the computer while it is in a given state. As such, it is generally used to aid in troubleshooting system hangs.

And there's a Knowledgebase entry on it: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;244139

lukeropro wrote:
By the blue screen does he mean the Blue Screen of Death?

Yes, 'Blue Screen' usually refers to the Blue Screen Of Death.
raymonbunt
you can stop your whole PC from running maybe you cannot reinstall XP or any other windows installations
Firebolt
If you want to play a prank on someone the press CTRL + Alt + arrow down and the screen will turn upside down and if no one saw what you did its a good laugh.

But if you really want to screw someone up just press the power button.
Bones
desertwind wrote:

If you are running an NT kernel and your Windows is crashing by itself, then I'd have to say either you have hardware problems or you just don't know how to maintain your pc properly.

I love to laugh at the people that go on about how Windows crashes because it just shows how little they really know about computers.
corey
it is possible to cause a temporary crash if you get the calculator to continue to multiply larger and larger results by themselves. Depending on how powerful your processor is, this could be done quickly or a bit longer.
KHO
Nitrus wrote:

Actually, editing the registry can allow you to manipulate windows into becoming somewhat "secure" Neutral. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it if you know what you are doing, now I say this knowing full well that someone will go through and add random values and delete important ones thinking they will better their system, but they clearly don't know what they are doing and deserve their fate Neutral.

Nitrus wrote:

No, quite honestly, the only reason I still use windows is to crash it, in every way I can imagine, for I am a tech, I study the faliure of the OS and find a way to fix it/ prevent it. Neutral And this is actually a good bit of knowledge, you should pay attention, for what if this same "feature" were implemented to the return key on your keyboard? Wouldn't you like to know where to start looking for a solution to this mind boggoling delima of your computer crashing every time you hit return?
Bones
Setting up someone's pc to crash when they press enter? Now that's just plain evil Twisted Evil
Traveller
barryforever wrote:

Sorry. Crashing Windows requires absolutely no talent at all. If you really want to show off your computer abilites, make it so Windows DOESN'T crash (and by some means other than installing Linux over top of it).
KHO
Traveller wrote:
barryforever wrote:

Sorry. Crashing Windows requires absolutely no talent at all. If you really want to show off your computer abilites, make it so Windows DOESN'T crash (and by some means other than installing Linux over top of it).
BLASPHEMY!! Neutral
It's easy, replace the auto-run of explorer.exe w/ totalcommander Neutral
JayBee
My bluescreen combination
Windows XP home
(the horible version that is preinstalled on acer laptops
- if you say "there couldn't be diference between "classic" Home editon and Home edition of acer laptops" jou realy don't have truth.)
+
Mozilla Firefox
+
Quicktime Player inside of Firefox trying to play some mp3 - don't start playing, just show bluescreen.

Reinstalation of drivers, Quicktime and firefox didn't solve the problem for me.

(But its all the past, I have MPlayer plugin inside of my firefox and it plays everything and works well - of course a little diference, I have a Linux)
{name here}
Just install norton and spysweeper and then run MSN explorer on a computer with multiple accounts. It's guarunteed to crash my VAIO.
carlospro7
SurBiff wrote:
desertwind wrote:

that whas a really great comment, i could not have said it better my self

word... Cool
Daniel15
I got bluescreens like crazy on Windows 98... I actually needed to reinstall it after installing a few drivers, as it always showed a blue screen of death at startup (even in Safe Mode!)

I've even got the Windows installer to show a Blue Screen of Death... Now that was funny (a blue screen, even before setup is complete Razz)
lukeropro
I've never gotten the blue screen even though I've used my copy of windows for a few years. Maybe I'll see it soon.
Xeniczone
I would have to agree with comments above. Showing of your skill doesn't mean making windows crash because it does that by itself anyway. You need to do it so it doesn't crash.

I heard this scroll lock thing is added by Microsoft to test if their system crashes correctly. WTF is up with that?
amanatali.goher
Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE. In Case of Windows 9x, End Task Explorer.exe and if you are using member of NT Faimly, End Task all SvcHost Services.
Windows will comlpete Crash!
ssthanapati
Crashin my own PC??? Why the heck wud i wanna do that. It already does that 2 often (usually when doin sme imp wrk).Evil or Very Mad

How 2 make it stop crashin wud b a nice thing 2 post!!!
orcaz
Are you all out of ur mind? if u really want to damage ur comp to that extent, simply uninstall ur antivirus, firewalls and antispywares and use ie 6 and visit some malicious sites. guarantee ur comp will crash within minutes, or mebbe hours? but coming baq to the point, it is realli ez to crash windows, which is poorly designed when it comes to stability... however, imo, windows xp seems to be much more stable than windows 98. i have experienced onli one or two crashes within this yr with my xp desktop, but when i use my 98 desktop, crashes come either daily or weekly...
mikethm
JayBee wrote:
My bluescreen combination
Windows XP home
(the horible version that is preinstalled on acer laptops
- if you say "there couldn't be diference between "classic" Home editon and Home edition of acer laptops" jou realy don't have truth.)
+
Mozilla Firefox
+
Quicktime Player inside of Firefox trying to play some mp3 - don't start playing, just show bluescreen.

Reinstalation of drivers, Quicktime and firefox didn't solve the problem for me.

(But its all the past, I have MPlayer plugin inside of my firefox and it plays everything and works well - of course a little diference, I have a Linux)

Ah but that is because you are using a customised version of Windows XP home.

When a preinstalled Windows XP home came with my Compaq laptop, I had no real problem except a 2mins boot up time due to stupid start up programs and lotta of junk.

Perhap you should consider doing a clean installation which may solve your problems. Here's a guide to how to do so.

1) Check if you have a Windows installation folder on the harddisk. Usually it is called i386.

2) Extract all MS keys using a program like CDKey Reader.

3) Download BartPE.

4) Create a BartPE boot up disc.

5) Save all stuff like Acer applications to CD or DVD.

6) Boot up with BartPE.

7) Use the A64 file manager to delete everything except the i386 folder.

Cool Go to i386 folder on harddisk, click on Winnt32.exe

9) Enjoy a clean installation of Windows XP.

Things to note: the above apply to IDE harddisks only and I had not tried on SATA. You would need to find the Acer drivers 1st. You would best make recovery discs before trying the above in case of any problems.

Now my Compaq start up in 1min with all the startup programs I really want.
DecayClan
[quote=SurBiff]
that whas a really great comment, i could not have said it better my self Cool

[/quote]
I don't understand this people..why get obsesed with something..generally... why love linux, OR windows? Each of them have their strengths and weakenesses... I use both linux and windows...WHen i want to create something, and do some work, i use linux.
But when i want to play a game, i always use windows...
Sorry~all you linux lovers~ but you must agree, that at games, windows are much better...
SO, i see no point in loving one of them, and not using both of them.

P.S. Sorry for this post beeing a bit irrelevant with this thread, but i had to answer
moaz786
Nitrus wrote:

Have you been hypnotized by the Registry Cleaner scams or something?
nivinjoy
Seen the same thing here: http://tweaks.com/windows/37502/manually-crash-windowsxp/
blueapplepiedude
make a shortcut to windows shutdown.exe program. then add a timer and then hide the shortcut in like my doccuments or something, then replace the shortcut for internet explorer or something on the desktop with that one.
cybersa
When i'm using a computer,it will automatically crash sometimes.
mgeek
And why would anyone whose not a programmer do that?
darthrevan
desertwind wrote:

You stole my thought, when I seen the title of this post LOL. I agree, Windows doesn't need anymore help to crash. It will crash and burn on it's own as usual; don't hold it's hand Smile
ZeytinGrafik
search for and delete the dll files on your harddisk.
codersfriend
just keep on opening programs and games... windows will crash in a few moments
milkshake01
Will crashing your computer on purpose ruin it?
nivinjoy
Simple.. Just run a virus script..

Or else have a look here for some cool virus tricks... http://myhistoryweb.blogspot.in/2009/03/10-virus-notepad-script.html