FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is this really art?

RadiumActinide
Well, I am not so much of a cartoon fellow, but I sought glimps of a television cartoon that was...In fact...So hilarious, I crapped myself. Sorry for the vague misuse of the word crap, but I must speak literally when it comes to this show. It is of course...Aqua Tenn Hunger Force...A show so pointless...God himself looked upon it and shook his head. He must be really proud of us.

So I was in a signature competion, and it was one of those trendy competitions where I pit myself against some emo' punk who enjoys rain and sitting in the dark. And of course I speak of the general stereotype. =/ But anyway, I entered this:

And he entered some grunge peice, and everyone loved his, and I lossed...Grunge, as if it could be any easier. =/

Anywho...This was my first attempt at an actual animation other than small tweens in Image Ready...It is a tad shotty, but it depicts my favorite scene in Aqua Teen Hunger Force where 2D figures come from the moon and sport themselves all 2D'ish with weapons that move awefully slow. If you've seen the show, you'd certainly know what I'm talking about.

But after looking at this...You really have to ask yourself...Is this really art?
lockwolf
Well the definition I got when I typed in google is:

the products of human creativity; works of art collectively; "an art exhibition"; "a fine collection of art"

the creation of beautiful or significant things; "art does not need to be innovative to be good"; "I was never any good at art"; "he said that architecture is the art of wasting space beautifully"

a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation; "the art of conversation"; "it's quite an art"

artwork: photographs or other visual representations in a printed publication; "the publisher was responsible for all the artwork in the book"

I think it falls under the last one.
[wAh]Killer
RadiumActinide wrote:
Well, I am not so much of a cartoon fellow, but I sought glimps of a television cartoon that was...In fact...So hilarious, I crapped myself. Sorry for the vague misuse of the word crap, but I must speak literally when it comes to this show. It is of course...Aqua Tenn Hunger Force...A show so pointless...God himself looked upon it and shook his head. He must be really proud of us.

So I was in a signature competion, and it was one of those trendy competitions where I pit myself against some emo' punk who enjoys rain and sitting in the dark. And of course I speak of the general stereotype. =/ But anyway, I entered this:

And he entered some grunge peice, and everyone loved his, and I lossed...Grunge, as if it could be any easier. =/

Anywho...This was my first attempt at an actual animation other than small tweens in Image Ready...It is a tad shotty, but it depicts my favorite scene in Aqua Teen Hunger Force where 2D figures come from the moon and sport themselves all 2D'ish with weapons that move awefully slow. If you've seen the show, you'd certainly know what I'm talking about.

But after looking at this...You really have to ask yourself...Is this really art?

ONE KINDA ART

but ur Siggy Looks funny lol

moving creatures Wink
nice
joshumu
I would say art is creative expression. So in that case. Anything you do or make is art in my opinion.
Sipe
It is art, your art. Looks nice! Keep working with it, maybe you win something at someday Wink
Gagnar The Unruly
Art contests are stupid -- but maybe necessary. That said, I think I understand why the judges probably didn't 'get' your submission. Defining artistic merit is a pretty subjective process that means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

To me, good art creates a process of interaction between the artist and the audience. It may sound silly, but that makes it sort of like sex. There should be some manner of connection in order for the art to be worthwhile. In order for that to be the case, the artist should have some emotional or physical investment in the work. They could be expressing some thought, feeling, or sense of composition, or perhaps some extreme technical skill. The audience should be able to pick up on some of that, and there should probably be room for them to take something additional away from the piece, that is personalized to them. In that way, good art can be taken personally by many different people, and it can truly have an impact.

If you are wondering whether your flash animation is truly art, think about what you've invested in it or what you've expressed by it. Think about what you want to say or express, and what you want the audience to get from that (it's perfectly reasonable to not care, by the way). Also, think about whether your submission conveys any sense of skill or mastery of your medium. If you were just messing around, that's valid, but you have to expect your audience to pick up on the feeling that you were just messing around. If it is based on some inside joke that is hidden from the audience, you are showing either a lack of trust or a lack of respect that will disconnect them from your piece.