FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Component price surges

technology.sponge
Can someone explain why pc components prices are so volatile? Several days ago, ddr2 800mhz 2gb dual channel ram cost abt 360AUD and overnite, worldwide prices spiked and ram suddenly coast about 480AUD
TheGeek
It's simply supply and demand like it is in other areas. It's just a little bit more drastic in the computer field. If a new chip comes out that uses DDR3 suddenly and the companies that make DDR3 aren't prepared for this, then there will be a shortage and the price will spike. Why this happened with DDR2 im not quite sure, but maybe it has to do with the brand or something, maybe they had a bad line get shipped out so to make up for the loss in revenue they had to up the prices to make up the difference. I know this happened when DDR2 started getting popular, the demand for DDR1 went down so the prices shot up because no one wanted it, but they still needed to be making money and so on.
psycosquirrel
and ddr2 is still too expensive (for decent stuff at least). its the only thing holding me back from selling my shuttle and getting a conroe tower...
technology.sponge
lol
spose that makes sense.
one thing i never get, is that they have a whole warehouse of stuff but they still increase the price even tho that batch cost them lessto make before the price rise. the higher price should only apply to subsequent batches!!

but companies lyk their monopolies

spose its just easier haggling with the shop salesman
Kelvin
that's how they make all the money. RAM prices are pretty similar to the stock market. You can actually make quite a lot if you buy low and sell high. It has been on the upward trend for the last few months. A 1GB Apacer DDR RAM has risen from RM312 to RM388 (current) in about 2 months. It's however somewhat stable at the moment.