FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

750W PSU excessive?

technology.sponge
I'm getting a 750W psu with my new pc... Is it excessive considering I have the following components (overclocked as well)?

2x Optical Drives
4x HDD Drives
5x Case fans
1x X-Fi Platinum
1x Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 CPU
1x 7900GS/7900GT/7950GT (haven't decided which yet Very Happy )
1x Floppy

I'm taking in account for future upgrades for when i upgrade to vista/1.5 years later, whichever comes first. Assuming i put in another stick of ram, maybe a new graphos (nvidia 8xxx maybe?) and a quad core cpu.

So is 750W enough? Under-rated? Excessive?

EDIT: i shoudl have been more clear with specs, the changwed bits are bolded[/b]
ezekiel_rage
technology.sponge wrote:
I'm getting a 750W psu with my new pc... Is it excessive considering I have the following components?

2x Optical Drives
3x HDD Drives
5x Case fans
1x PCI Card
1x Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
1x 7900GS/7900GT/7950GT (haven't decided which yet Very Happy )
1x Floppy

I'm taking in account for future upgrades for when i upgrade to vista/1.5 years later, whichever comes first. Assuming i put in another stick of ram, maybe a new graphos (nvidia 8xxx maybe?) and a gruntier cpu.

So is 750W enough? Under-rated? Excessive?

For your intended purpose, I'd say that it shoul be enough. I have tried 2 Hard disk drives, 2 optical drives, 1 TV-tuner with a 350W power supply, but that was a long time ago. My systems was actually just a Pentium II 350MHZ.

I guess most peripheals and parts today have very low power requirements.

Hope this helps
diduknowthat
What are the specs of the PSU? But most likely its excessive.
Xeniczone
Depends on your graphic card. I would say if anything inside your computer the graphic card will suck the most power away.

Some High-End graphics cards will require as much as 500watts of power just to run without herting other computer components.
dbuchmann
Well, in my experience power supply units are one of the most overlooked components in a new or custom computer. Yes a 750W psu is likely overkill for the components that you have listed, however it certainly wont hurt anything. Also if you decide to upgrade later (graphics card, RAID setup, etc.) you'll likely thank yourself for getting a big psu!

Out of curiosity what brand of psu is it? I've come across some psus that were rated higher than they should have been before which is why I usually suggest going with one of the major brands for the psu (Antec, RaidMAX, Thermaltake, etc.). I have also had great experiences with Rosewill psus if you're looking to save some money.
Xeniczone
I woud agree with the person. Their are some that are rated high but when they are put under stress they only provide a fraction of what they suppost to be rated at. You need to look at the Brand.

CD-Burners that are more then one running at once they take up some good power.

I would recommend 600 but 750 wouldn't hurt the more the better.
ocalhoun
You can't have too much PSU capacity. I upgraded mine to dual PSU's: now I have a kilowatt of power. Twisted Evil
This comes in handy when trying to run three hard drives, 2 opticals, 2 floppies, and four cards.
diduknowthat
ocalhoun wrote:
You can't have too much PSU capacity. I upgraded mine to dual PSU's: now I have a kilowatt of power. Twisted Evil
This comes in handy when trying to run three hard drives, 2 opticals, 2 floppies, and four cards.

jesus christ dual PSUs? Why not just get the PCP&C kilowatt psu Very Happy But anyways, 4 cards, so you're running quad SLI?
technology.sponge
I've made a few changes to the components. Updated list is up the top

For those who cbb to read
changes are

e6700, x-fi platinum, 4 hdds, overclocking and has to be quad core ready
ocalhoun
diduknowthat wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

jesus christ dual PSUs? Why not just get the PCP&C kilowatt psu Very Happy But anyways, 4 cards, so you're running quad SLI?

No, I do have dual video cards, but they're independant. The other two are network and TV tuner.
The reason why I don't buy a kilowatt psu is because of price: the upgrade only cost me an AT PSU I had laying around.
Prabhu Raj
It doesnt matter howmuch power your PSU's deliver as long as you have less power consumption in your sustem.

Say for example your PSU is 1000 Watts and you are consuming only 200 to 300 watts, this will not damage your system.

The higher excessive power is used when more parts are added.

Just make sure there is proper heat exchange facility for your PSU or else It is your PSU that is going to get damaged coz more power means more heat.