FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

NVU Vs Frontpage

PANOSP
Hey gyus, i have a question here. Which software is best, NVu or frontpage???

It is my first time creating a web site, and i do not know which of these 2 i should use

Thanks Very Happy
Aless
I personally like NVU better, but it's probably because I've always found FrontPage confusing & a bit simplistic.

Since they're both free, why don't you just download them, try them, and then make your own decision.

Actually, FrontPage might not be free. So then definitely NVU, because I hate paying for software!
jongoldsz
I really don't like either, but from what I've been hearing, Dreamweaver is pretty good for beginners. Although, the price of Dreamweaver makes most people agitated. If anything, you should try frontpage, since it is very simple, and learn how to code HTML over time.
snowboardalliance
Or, instead of using a WYSIWYG editor, make it easier for yourself later and learn HTML with just a text-editor. That way you really understand it and as you get better, you have more control over the code.

It's not very hard.

But if you just want to make a website quickly, these are fine. I just personally think learning without a WYSIWYG editor I now know a lot more about HTML and CSS.
Commando_Sondre
Well, I don't use any of these, but I would use NVU! It's much, much better then FrontPage.
manumiglani
Well NVU is surely a good tool to use. I have always used nvu on linux. But, I have to say that its really buggy.

Frontpage seems better for newbies. It has lot of build in templates too. I will certainly recommend you to start with Frontpage.
Indyan
I prefer Nvu
Ranfaroth
Between NVU and FrontPage, no need to hesitate : drop immedialty the awfull FrontPage.

NVU is currently the best WYSIWYG editor. But you should have a look to KompoZer which is a bug-fix release of NVU.
tomardern
I prefer Dreamweaver Very Happy
Stubru Freak
NVU!

Frontpage is the worst software I've ever seen.

And NVU is the best.
jwellsy
If you spend several hundred dollars now on Frontpage, dreamweaver or whatever, in another year when you upgrade to a new computer to run vista how inclined do you think you will be to spend another few hundred dollars for another copy of FP. Then you get a new laptop and you'll want another copy of FP on it.

Don't throw your money away on that viscous cycle.
Just go with Nvu, it's free.
Put it on 3 or 4 machines it's still free, and you've saved a grand.
Squirreler
A really good basic web page creator/html/thing i use is "Alleycode HTML"when i tryed dreamweaver Alleycode seemed to have all the same features although i only tried it for a few minutes(dreamweaver)
It's free but i forgot the url so google it! Smile
Windows only!
+Make sure you get the new version from the download section or it doesnt have the relli great half half screan feature thing (the one were the HTML on one side the preview on the other) Laughing
umeshtangnu
FrontPages is the worst ,its scrambles the html code ,never worked with NVU
thought but i think "visual webdeveloper express edition"is the best for windows also its free
saurabh.sauron
frontpage makes pages for 'IE-LIKE' rendering. as i love open source software and also opera, i use NVU. it makes web pages designed for firefox and to some extent opera. DreamWeaver is also a gud ideda.
Haiderim
Dont use any of these softwares just use the notepad its the best way to learn and to become a pro Smile
S3nd K3ys
Aless wrote:
...I've always found FrontPage confusing & a bit simplistic.

Umm, simplisticly confusing? Isn't that an oxymoron?

I don't think FP is free. I like NVU. Not sure if it can use the "FP Extensions" though.
SurBiff
I think that you should learn coding raw HTML code before you go and starting with a program like NVU or Frontpage.

It's easy to push a button, but when you pushed it many many times then you still dont know what is what and that can make things much harder sometimes when you whant to change a little bit of code on youre page.
but thats only my opinion. Smile

by the way, I had not used either NVU or Frontpage. i tried to build a webpage with NVU one time, but i didnt liked it.

one editor i really liked whas Bluefish
but that one is only for Linux, to bad.
lukeropro
Dreamweaver or NVU. FrontPage is a nono
{name here}
There IS no competition between the two. Frontpage is utter crap. However, either way you need to know HTML and CSS to properly use a WYSIWYG editor.
terabyte
Well, mostly microsoft recomends you to use FrontPage because it has more advance features + its easier and recommended for advanced and professional users.

Well, i can't think of other than any program, because i personally use FrontPage and will changing to other asap after my things done.
Stubru Freak
terabyte wrote:
Well, mostly microsoft recomends you to use FrontPage because it has more advance features + its easier and recommended for advanced and professional users.

Well, i can't think of other than any program, because i personally use FrontPage and will changing to other asap after my things done.

NVU is so much more advanced compared to FrontPage.
Billy Hill
they're both good. NVU is free, FP is not. if money isn't an object, why not use FP?

as for you guys saying to code manually, both FP and NVU have code editors which you can completely make your pages in. you don't have to use the WYSIWYG interface.
Handyman
Quote:
one editor i really liked whas Bluefish
but that one is only for Linux, to bad.

You can also use Bluefish on OSX through the Free x11 project and install it with fink

I use Nvu and I like it .

But it really helps to learn some html and css when you are doing any of this. I would recomend at least reading through the tutorials at the www.w3.org
GameFreak
I'd say that Frontpage is better, much better.
But, if you're looking for freeware, you'd rather use Nvu.
SurBiff
Quote:
You can also use Bluefish on OSX through the Free x11 project and install it with fink

Cool, i didnt now that Smile now i do.
what is it with NVU that is so great?
saurabh.sauron
it cannot be explained so well. the best part is that it is as pwerful as frontpage. PHP editing is also possible. the interface is as gud as it can get. it occupies almost no resources and works exceedingly well on Gnome desktop environment (that is what i m using right now). it supports extensions. also, it implements it's features in the best way possible. u might like to check out their website for more information.
Ranfaroth
Billy Hill wrote:
if money isn't an object, why not use FP?
Because FrontPage is a really bad software, which produce ugly and dirty outputs. What else do you want us to say ?
Bones
I have to agree with the masses and say the Frontpage is utter crap!
I use Dreamweaver and Flash and love it! err them..

BUT you really should pick up a good book on HTML. By far the best way to learn web design is to start with raw HTML before you start with a WYSIWYG editor. The reason being is that a lot of the time even after your layout is finished, you'll want or need to tweak some parts by hand.

Besides, HTML is really easy to learn. Then after HTML, you can start learning CSS and PHP.

You can probably find a bazillion free HTML tutorials on the web. Google is your friend!
redice
Dreamweaver MX is the best but expensive. It will make good and clear page.

NVU is good but opensource and free. It make best page but not as good as Dreamweaver.

Frontpage is worse, I don't use it. It make fat page.
VidE
But does NVU allow you tow work with .flv files and the like... I'll google to check it out but as a video guy its hard to compete with the new flash video converter/compressor
cheeta
NVU is free tool... so good for begaining... but for Front Page comes with many more feature... and its better than NVU... !!

but Front page comes with a good healthy price tag :p
Stubru Freak
cheeta wrote:
NVU is free tool... so good for begaining... but for Front Page comes with many more feature... and its better than NVU... !!

but Front page comes with a good healthy price tag :p

Not true, NVU has a lot more options then Frontpage
hostingguy
NVU great software Very Happy
TheCyrus
I like NVU, personally, much better than Frontpage.

But if you've got the money, Dreamweaver's the way to go.
budazz
snowboardalliance wrote:
Or, instead of using a WYSIWYG editor, make it easier for yourself later and learn HTML with just a text-editor. That way you really understand it and as you get better, you have more control over the code.

It's not very hard.

But if you just want to make a website quickly, these are fine. I just personally think learning without a WYSIWYG editor I now know a lot more about HTML and CSS.

at least if you use wysiwyg editor you will learn both html editing by hand coding and using that "software"

personally i recommend NVU than frontpage nvu has features almost the same with dreaweaver... but dreamweaver is the best
AdvanceHQ
I tried before Frontpage, Dreamweaver and NVU. Frontpage 2003 is good but still lack of something though microsoft is now introducing 2007. Frontpage render html code for his partner IE and at the same time trying to transform the website to make it more like IE kind.
Dreamweaver is a good one that has a good taskpane and lots more i liked it but it is expensive i used it when i in school using Education Edition specially build for our school. Waste money.
NVU is really good one and it is free. I could not believe it. I am speechless now.
lukeropro
In other words, NVU and Dreamweaver are both better than frontpage.