FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Forum order

I think that:
the featured discussions should be made smaller or removed
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
the webmaster and internet forum be moved to the second position
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
both the above options should be done.
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
nothing should be changed.
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

scotty
  • I think that the 'Webmasters and Internet' category should be moved up to second position on the list of forums.
  • Also the featured discussions pane should be removed because it makes the forums less accessible and requires more scrolling.
The one thing everybody here has in common is that we all come from free hosting (and the wonderful chit chat in the forums Razz ). For this reason I find it strange that "Webmaster and Internet" category is more than halfway down the massive page.

Also, the featured discussions forum while it may be useful for announcements is too big. I see all the relevant announcements through the Announcements forum anyway. I think it should be made smaller if not removed.
LukeakaDanish
Hm...I actually approve of this idea VERY MUCH, however I have one adition to it:

I think that there should be links, at the top of the page, to every forum category. This would make the forums easier to find, and prevent users from having to use the scrollbar TOO much - which I personally find very tedious, and which I know has been deemed bad webdesign by many webdesign "gurus"
mathiaus
Luke, read this topic, in particular this post.
Bondings wrote:
I will eventually be implementing an optional sidebar with all forums (or the ones you choose) for registered members. However this will take quite a while as there are tons of other things waiting to be done before this.

In the mean time: http://siriusblacks.co.uk/frih/ Very Happy
scotty
mathiaus wrote:
Luke, read this topic, in particular this post.
Bondings wrote:
I will eventually be implementing an optional sidebar with all forums (or the ones you choose) for registered members. However this will take quite a while as there are tons of other things waiting to be done before this.

I like the navigator but not a permanent fix. I read bondings post and I wait eagerly for the sidebar.

However, the logical order of the forums would have the Webmaster and Internet category number two. As for the featured discussion thing, I've only ever clicked on one of those links once yet I'm forced to scroll past it multiple times every day even with a huge resolution, it's the devil. Twisted Evil
LukeakaDanish
Thanks for the link and tool mathiaus!

I hope bondings write's a sidebar a at some point soon - that could really improve my frihost experience Smile

Also - I think scotty is absolutely right - the featured discussion panel is not really used by many people (appart from spammers), and is VERY big - either make it smaller or remove it is my conclusion, aswel.
mOrpheuS
scotty wrote:
the featured discussions pane should be removed because it makes the forums less accessible and requires more scrolling.

I'd rather the featured discussion pane be made collapsible instead of being removed altogether.

And if possible, the categories be made collapsible as well.
garionw
mOrpheuS wrote:
scotty wrote:
the featured discussions pane should be removed because it makes the forums less accessible and requires more scrolling.

I'd rather the featured discussion pane be made collapsible instead of being removed altogether.

And if possible, the categories be made collapsible as well.

Yeah, thats in Vb isn't it. I know its possible with a simple javascript and DIV:

Code:

<!-- TWO STEPS TO INSTALL PAGE ORGANIZER:

1.  Copy the coding into the HEAD of your HTML document

2.  Add the last code into the BODY of your HTML document  -->

<!-- STEP ONE: Paste this code into the HEAD of your HTML document  -->

<HEAD>

<style type="text/css">

<!--

.para {font-family: "Verdana","Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt;}

a.headings:link {color: #000000;text-decoration:underline;width:100%;}

a.headings:visited {color: #aa6611; width:100%}

a.headings:hover {color: #ff9933; text-decoration:none; width:100%}

a.headings:active {color: #0000ff;width:100%}

a.headings {background-repeat:no-repeat; font-family:"Verdana","arial","sans-serif";font-size:10px;}

-->

</style>

<script type="text/javascript">

<!-- This script and many more are available free online at -->

<!-- The JavaScript Source!! http://javascript.internet.com -->

<!-- Created by: http://london-net.net -->

<!-- Begin

var subs_array = new Array("sub1","sub2","sub3");// Put the id's of your hidden divs in this array

function displaySubs(the_sub){

if (document.getElementById(the_sub).style.display==""){

document.getElementById(the_sub).style.display = "none";return

}

for (i=0;i<subs_array.length;i++){

var my_sub = document.getElementById(subs_array[i]);

my_sub.style.display = "none";

}

document.getElementById(the_sub).style.display = "";

}

//  End -->

</script>

</HEAD>

<!-- STEP TWO: Copy this code into the BODY of your HTML document  -->

<BODY>

<p><a href="javascript:void(0)" class="headings" onClick="displaySubs('sub1')" onFocus="if(this.blur)this.blur()";>

<strong>Click here for information ...</strong> </a> </p>

<div class="para"  id="sub1" style="display:none">

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol. Olypian quarrels et gorilla congolium sic ad nauseum. Souvlaki ignitus carborundum e pluribus unum. Defacto lingo est igpay atinlay. Marquee selectus.

</div>

<p><a href="javascript:void(0)" class="headings" onClick="displaySubs('sub2')" onFocus="if(this.blur)this.blur()";>

<strong>Click here for more information ...</strong> </a> </p>

<div class="para" id="sub2" style="display:none">

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci.

</div>

<p><a href="javascript:void(0)" class="headings" onClick="displaySubs('sub3')" onFocus="if(this.blur)this.blur()";>

<strong>Click here for still more information ...</strong> </a> </p>

<div class="para"  id="sub3" style="display:none">

Ma quande lingues coalesce, li grammatica del resultant lingue es plu simplic e regulari quam ti del coalescent lingues. Li nov lingua franca va esser plu simplic e regulari quam.

</div>

<p><center>

<font face="arial, helvetica" size"-2">Free JavaScripts provided<br>

by <a href="http://javascriptsource.com">The JavaScript Source</a></font>

</center><p>

<!-- Script Size:  3.02 KB -->

scotty
Collapsible is better but it's a compromise. The featured discussions pane is totally useless for me and others as well (I'm guessing).
garionw
scotty wrote:
Collapsible is better but it's a compromise. The featured discussions pane is totally useless for me and others as well (I'm guessing).

Not only that, but it hasn't been updated in over a Month
xorcist
mathiaus wrote:

I like that. For the Featured Discussions there should be a updated more I like it but needs more updates.
Bondings
I'll try to update the featured discussions (much) more often. I was pretty busy lately and had no time for announcements, news, contests and similar.

The "Webmaster and Internet" category isn't on top because it isn't popular enough, apart from the "Advertise your website" forum, which really doesn't deserve to be that high.
Marston
This is a pretty pedantic suggestion...
scotty
Bondings wrote:
I'll try to update the featured discussions (much) more often. I was pretty busy lately and had no time for announcements, news, contests and similar.

The "Webmaster and Internet" category isn't on top because it isn't popular enough, apart from the "Advertise your website" forum, which really doesn't deserve to be that high.

Can the featured discussions be limited to maybe three or so? I really hate it! Evil or Very Mad

Also the "Webmaster and Internet" category would be more popular if it was higher up as people would see it without having to scroll down so far. This community is built on the Internet and computers so I feel that it should have a higher placing.

Is there any way users can change the order of the categories? A mod / hack or something? I know there are one's that can completely hide unread forums. Does anybody know how to write a hack where users can choose what order the categories are displayed in?
Bockman
For this post, you may forget that i'm admin here.. personal comment plain and simple...

About the featured discussions.. there are some people who like it and it shouldn't be removed because one or two members dislike it. I, for one, use it!

As for the placing of "Internet and Computers" category upper in the order... I don't think it's a good idea. If you were to suggest that the "Support and Web Hosting" category should be on top, I'd agree with you, but that would be MY oppinion. we all have different preferences and that's why we have all those categories (and we can't have them all on first spot..).

I'm working on something for Firefox lovers and when it's ready i'll announce it on the boards. I believe it will make it a lot easier to go through our forum afterwards.

Be Well Cool
Bondings
scotty wrote:
Is there any way users can change the order of the categories? A mod / hack or something? I know there are one's that can completely hide unread forums. Does anybody know how to write a hack where users can choose what order the categories are displayed in?

Eventually (but most likely not in the soon future) you'll have the possibility to customize the forum index page yourself, have special options like to display the latest threads/posts of forums x,y,z and an optional customizable sidebar with the forums and other links.
scotty
I look forward to the new interface. In the mean time pleaseeeee make featured discussions smaller/collapsible Smile