FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

converting a self made movie

sunjay
Hi,

I'm doing a filming project for my arts class. My school Supplied me with this camcorder that uses a DVD disc.

After the editing and processing, I'm ready to 'render' the short film.

The thing is, I want the clip to be easily distributed. For example, a 30 min clip be able to fit in say a 512mb usb pen.

So my question is, how would I go about converting this Huge mpeg file into an .avi file but at the same time retain as much quality as possible? What codec would you recommand? The film is in this wide screen ratio 16:9. Speed is not a problem but quality is top priority.

James
alienjones
This is a task for VirtualDub using the DivX-codec which offers great quality. It comes with a bitrate-calculator to specify the target filesize.

By the way: Retaining as much quality as possible from a mpeg-file is quite easy cause mpeg itself is responsible for the most loss on quality. This is why I'd never use DVD-camcorders as they store data already encoded to the DVD. Best solution for recording high-quality footage are DV-camcorders.
gh0stface
I'm not sure any 30 minute codec will be able to be used to fit on a 512 USB pen. Especially if you want the image to be high qulity after be converted from DVD.

My suggestion would probably wmv. I have an old Counter-Strike video which I downloaded a while back which is almost 200 megs while the movie is almost 20 minutes long. The quality is fairly superb.
sunjay
hey,

What about this codec I found called h.264? can it have more quality than divx for the same size?

Thanks

James
p.s sry for the double post.