FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Old DOS games

dule
Someone remembers old DOS games?

I think these games were much more fun than some new ones.

I played scorched earth in 10 players with friends lol that was fun...
Good old times Smile
shr3dd
does anyone remeber the dos game gorillas? or the old system called XTree Gold?
lockwolf
Is the original Doom considered a DOS game? I still play that!
Grimboy
Since it runs on dos I suppose so. Ever been to http://dosgames.com/. That is a pretty big database of them. Also that gorrilas thing is answered the faq http://dosgames.com/faq.php#4.

Other relevent links include:
http://www.classicgaming.com/ascii/
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/
lxcid
Prince of Persia. Not the new one but the old one. I remember I played that everyday. Smile I haven yet complete the game even after I found back that game a few months ago. I just doesn't have the time to play. But its sure is fun memories... Smile
shr3dd
thank you ive been wondering about that gorillas game for a while now
toyzintheattic
Lucasarts used to make AWESOME adventure games on DOS: Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Sam & Max, etc.

oh man.

Games like Duke Nukem 3D and Doom are showing their age, though... <_<

Ooooh. and Morrowind pwns it, but Elder Scrolls I: Arena is still very fun.
Grimboy
toyzintheattic wrote:
Lucasarts used to make AWESOME adventure games on DOS: Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Sam & Max, etc.

I know, Monkey Island was the first game I played on our old 486. It made funny beeping sounds through the pc speaker for music that kept everyone awake all night as you couldn't turn them off.
phonz
LoLz
DoS games were the best
Anyone here play Cross Country Canada
It's a Trucker Game based in Canada, LOLz, lots of fun Very Happy

Check this site out Very Happy
http://www.abandonia.com/index2.php

Free DoS games. Free because its AbandonWare.
snowboardalliance
The only DOS game I remember is Lemmings lol

That used to be fun
Maka
Lol Day of the Tentacle one of the first pc games I ever played back in 95/96, it's a great game. Very Happy
toyzintheattic
Actually to be honest I never have gotten the chance to play any DOS Lucasarts adventure games besides Day of the Tentacle. But to this day it's my favorite adventure game ever.

It's a shame Lucasarts is too caught up in making star wars after star wars games...I wanna see a DOTT 2 or something. Razz

BUT....I heard they were planning to make a Monkey Island 5.
phonz
Maniac Mansion = LucasArts Very Happy
g00d game
lots of fun
Very creative
Always Funny
n0obie4life
I think mine was super mario or something..
Xploder
I really liked Prince of Persia. I also the Lucas arts DOS game called Zak MacKracken and the Alien Mind Benders... the music was amazing, Laughing
ZzZ_AluCarD_ZzZ
THEME HOSPITAL!
Jonsps
Best old dos game ever.... Armor Alley. Hands down. You are a helicopter that has to protect a tranport. Its great.
ddd2pt
I played a lot to Lotus and the times I still play the game.
valo
Commander Keen 1-6. Keen 4 to 6 was the coolest...

Cosmos cosmic adventures 1 to 3.. Cool game!

Is there anyone that knows if the old manager-game 1-0 is free?
jarcelao
Best ever DOS-based game for me is X-COM. I can even say that it is indeed the best game ever made. The game really packs a ton of fun and captures the imagination of its players during its time. If only they could make a remake of it... hehehe Smile Cool
hcjgh
There is no more fun then playing old games. no good 3d but still they look good and the most important - THEY HAVE SOMETHING IN THEM NOT just the graphic!
bao
Dos game is my first game.such as Pal2 is my like.
rip8fan1
Lode Runner
Space Quest
INFOCOM TEXT adventure games
Wizardry I
Ultima I
Tie Fighter vs. X Wing (or something similar)

All these games used up lots of my time, and there were plenty of others. I still have some games on 5 1/4 floppy, and many games on 3 1/2 floppy.
leat397
I liked those advanture games..Did anyone heard them?
Full Throttle, Indiana Jones - Alantis, Alone in the Dark series...
They are somehow more innvative then nowadays game...
SunburnedCactus
Monkey Island 1 + 2: the cream of point and click adventure gaming.
klingoncowboy4
My borthers loves DOS games. I am going to revive an old comp running freeDOS 32 with win3.x. Doom, Doom II, Quake, and many others. We have played them.
Major
http://oded99aa6.50webs.com/games/maingames205.html
i am good ro i am gooooood
a site in hebrew of many dos games
just look by the picture what game is it
there are 22 pages!!!
al of your favorite games
in page 2 there are all games of keen
1-7
and the bluz brother
and my personal favorit galactic and lots lots of more:D
Lokine
Return to Zork and its text predecessors always hold a special place in my heart. Smile As will Oregon Trail, hahaha.
Dark_Jedi06
Those were some of the best games ever...Indian Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle...

Ahhh, the days when video games were hard and required you to think. Razz
thugsta
Only DOS games I remeber are;

Lemmings,
Ah so simple, yet so challenging

Wolfenstine??

Any one know where to download some of these Old games, and there compatibility on newer computers
JayBee
Duke 3d is the best DOS game for me, because a can make maps for this game and I know evry secrtet places.
I was surpriced when I found windows port of this game (jfDuke), so I can play it now too
lockwolf
Anyone know where I could pick up a dos emulator? I wanna play some of my older games without buying a system just for it.
Boles Roor
lockwolf wrote:
Anyone know where I could pick up a dos emulator? I wanna play some of my older games without buying a system just for it.

Do a google search for DOSBox. Works like a dream Smile
rip8fan1
For free DOS games check here:

http://www.dosgames.com/

Look for DOSBox under the 'Essential Utilities' link.
klingoncowboy4
I've had trouble with DOSBox but winXP cmd seems to run most games without a problem.
zoombinimatt
lemmings and commander keen both rocked. also mahjong was fun.

hehehe... i remember a chess game i had for dos... made for 286s right.
levels went like this:
easy: thinks for 2 seconds
hard: thinks for 10 seconds
and it was timed, so when i played it on my 2.6ghz... it was kinda a bit too unbeatable for my liking.
GrimReaper77
X-Wing vs Tie Fighter had me going for years. Literally. Graphics were amazing back then.

Oh yeah, Lucas Arts games were rockin in the Dos days.

Anyone remember The Dig?

Anyone remember just how much better Prince of Persia 2 was? And that's saying a lot, cause the original was a masterpiece!
bananaphone
PACMAN!!!
nntien
dule wrote:
Someone remembers old DOS games?

I think these games were much more fun than some new ones.

I played scorched earth in 10 players with friends lol that was fun...
Good old times Smile

I liked DOOM II, we could enjoin many scenes together, on purpose to kill all of devils in this game. I liked it so much!
We can find some old games to play anytime we like!
MoonMonkey
any one ever remember castles?

you had to build castles funnily enough... then defend them from celts and ogres if you did the fantasy version....

there was also one... i can't remember if it was called wizkid or wizball... but you were this big green head going through various different levels collection diffeent stuff... was quite cool...

x-com rocked too!!!
Josso
All the commander keens I played a lot on DOS. I saw quite a few people mention lemmings but I remember playing that on an old macintosh performa 400 - no DOS for me!

The zork trilogy have got to be my favorite text based adventures ever although unfortunatly they were a bit before my time so i've only got into the games recently.

But my favorite DOS game of all time: Froniter Elite II - how they fitted it on a 1 floppy disc always shocks me even now. I've attempted to get the game running again on XP but it will not work on XP apart from my upstairs computer from 1997 that must have a version of DOS that runs it somehow. I've tried a lot of DOS emulators and they never work for me for some reason. Also i've lost my old skool joystick that's a pain.
garvalf4
I played a lot Prince of Persia too. It was a fantastic game at that time.
I generally like adventure games, such as lucasart games (monkey island, indiana jones), and even textual game (interactive fiction).
Now I'm playing Beneath a steel sky, it's a good adventure game. It can be found for free on the compagny's website (because it's a bit old now, and they propose newer games too) : http://www.revolution.co.uk/
Jiltedcitizen
Star Control 2 http://sc2.sourceforge.net/
Bookface
hcjgh wrote:
There is no more fun then playing old games. no good 3d but still they look good and the most important - THEY HAVE SOMETHING IN THEM NOT just the graphic!

Yes... because now people can sell games based on graphics alone, but then there had to be more body to a game. There were a lot of clones of the same type, but a huge number of games took a different route and explored their creativity to make a new type of original game.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/ is the absolute best place to get information and downloads of old games.

thugsta, several links have been posted in this thread.
Try also searching for "abandonware" on Google.

lockwolf, many games can be run even in windows; there is some more info here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=playing+old+games+in+windows

this program aims to provide sound support for old programs through windows drivers, and has plenty of other features like joystick support and memory managment that can get a lot of old games up and running:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/

dosbox, already mentioned, is unnecessary for most games and often slows them down compared to vdmsound, but has the advantage of being cross-platform:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

you can also use a fuller emulation of a computer, like qemu or vmware (vmware isn't free, though, and windows-hosted version of qemu is in alpha stage still).
http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
mostarac
This is one of the best websites with old games
Abandonia - Home of abadonware DOS games
http://www.abandonia.com

And I can still remember Duke Nukem, Doom, Wolf, Prince of Persia, Tetris (!!!)... Embarassed Twisted Evil
Hikaru
Good mention of Wolfenstein up there. Wolfenstein 3D was like my 3rd game ever played, I was only around 5 or 6 when I first saw that game, I think I still have it somewhere, might just go bust it out and start shooting. If I'm not mistaken it was the first 3D game or the first 3D FPS game? It can't compare to games these days but without Wolfenstein and DOOM ID Software wouldn't be here today with titles like DOOM3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein Very Happy
traxion
a dos game

i think STUNTS

it was a very good game then

now the stunts 2 aka crashday is becomeing a very good game:)

i hope i will play the game one day
albusa
well i want to tell l remerbe de game dos monos and old the games are very interesting.
excel
Two words....

CROP COMMAND Wink
Omego2K@
ah, yes, prince of persia and doom, loved those games Very Happy
tanzzy
Hi all i'm new to this site..well dos based games were absolute fun!! i missed playing thoes games.. yesterday i was sitting n trying to rem them all but couldnt able to rem few can u guyzz help me...i will try to explain in the first one is where a guy try to collect all the coldrink can n if he touch the enmy shit...he dies n other one is where a boy collectes dimonds n he has a chair to fly over fire whenever he is in trouble...plzz can someone figure out these two games...i would really apperciate.Thanks!!
tanzzy
Yippie!! i got thoes two games one was dave n an other was commander keen nd few more i used to play these games alot.

Wolfenstein
Prince of Persia
Super mario
lode runner
QrafTee
I used to play Billy the Kid, Dig Dug, and Wheels of Fortune.
mattyj
I used to love playing River Raid

and on the old C64 i used to like Pit Stop and Summer Games..
guissmo
Yeah. Scorched Earth really takes up my time. Even today, when I'm THAT bored. Haha.
amperx
warcraft I, and the like, such as tiberian dawn, good ol dos games Very Happy
Starrfoxx
The original Civilization (not the Windows version), Wing Commander, and Space Quest were favorites of mine in DOS.

I have no trouble with DOSbox. I have yet to try it in Windows 7, but I'm sure it'll be fine. Now, if I can find a way to play old Windows 95 and 98 games in Windows 7, then life would be grand. Very Happy
David_Pardy
I grew up playing DOS games Smile

Here's some of my favourites:

Theme Hospital
Duke Nukem 2
Duke Nukem 3d
Commander Keen (I loved 4 - 6)
Traffic Department 2192
One Must Fall 2097
Wolfenstein 3d
Dune 2
Command and Conquer
Red Alert
Star Control 2
Scorched Earth
Worms
Day of the Tentacle
Discworld 1 & 2
Blood
Prince of Persia

I can't really think of any others off the top of my head... We had a LOT of them though.
achowles
Some of the greatest games made were DOS games. Bullfrog and Lucasarts made some truly timeless classics that haven't been rivalled to this day.

Recently, I just found I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, an adventure game with a very much more mature outlook than most and offers the player choices in how they play through the pretty damn surreal scenarios which affect the outcome. A lot of adventures are pretty linear and have some pretty illogical puzzles, so this is a breath of fresh (old) air.

But for me, games like Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper and the SCUMM adventures are what made DOS such a great era for gaming.
weableandbob
Actually, if anyone wants (I've never actually gotten the thing to work), but you can get the elderscrolls 1 and 2 off of the official site, but I remember duke nukem well Very Happy
georgeodowd
I was a big fan of Full Throttle. My friend used to come over just to watch me play it, and we'd eat ice cream and laugh at how all the characters looked like Tommy Lee Jones. Ahh, childhood memories.

Did anyone play Slordax? That was one of my all-time favs.
Xaferrow
well, i seldom play dos games lol Shocked
the only dos games that i remember is
"Prince of Persia", good ol' game
welshsteve
I use DOSBox to play a few of these games such as Sensible Soccer, Sensible Golf, Cannon Fooder
guggs
Anyone else on here ever play Melbourne House's DOS game "Hampstead" ? It was a text-only game in which you played an unemployed layabout who wanted to climb the social tree and live in Hampstead, a posh part of north London. Great fun - anyone know where I can get a "clean" version ?
babarus
I plaied : Doom, Prince of Persia, Cross Country Canada , Dyna and other else .....

I guess it was verry difficult to do a same game ....!
gameproff
jarcelao wrote:
Best ever DOS-based game for me is X-COM. I can even say that it is indeed the best game ever made. The game really packs a ton of fun and captures the imagination of its players during its time. If only they could make a remake of it... hehehe Smile Cool

From one X-COM fan to another, there are some freeware, open source versions of X-COM out there. A couple of them are kind of interesting and worth checking out. I played around with one about a year or so ago, it was not bad.

Just google it, I don't have the link on me atm. I think one of them was hosted on sourceforge (sf.net).
biljap
I don’t remember names of the games but DOS games were really addictive at that time. I wish there are all that old games here again, but created with better graphic off course.
slashnburn99
saw theme park on there, that used to crash on me all the time at the same place on the megadrive, thank god for patches these days.

Used to still play it even though i knew it was going to crash!
enkyskateboard
i liked tat game so much and the amazon trail
Liques
There is a game called Constructor that I needed to run it on the DosBox program. The game is old, sure, but I still don't understand why the new operation systems does not run it directly.
pscompanies

Games like Duke Nukem 3D and Doom are showing their age, though...
amperx
hmmm

hexen!!!

tiberian darn

RA1

ohh the good ol games

ugh

doom?
welshsteve
pscompanies wrote:

I loved "Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders". Great game that, I still play it now.
desonium
I don't have played many dos games but Pacman was so addicting, I played it every day Cool
And I played red alert a bit, but that was not my kind of game Confused
akhil26
DOS games areVery Crazy and funny Cool
David_Pardy
I will continue to disagree with people who complain about the graphics in old games...

There's nothing wrong with lower quality graphics!

Back in the 90s, games were made to be enjoyable not just with visuals, but with the gameplay and storylines.

These days game companies are just pumping out rehashes using the same 3D engines as everyone else. Sure, they may come up with a unique idea or two, but there is very little innovation anymore.

And to be perfectly honest, Duke Nukem 3D is one of the most enjoyable 3D shooters I've ever played.

Here is my challenge to all those here who dislike old graphics:

ftp://ftp.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/pc/adv_crowther_win.zip

Download that game, play it, and use your imagination!

My current addiction is the Discworld MUD... MUD stands for "Multi-User Dungeon". It's all text based, you enter commands to dictate actions, and you use your imagination to picture the world you're in. It's also great fun Razz
gandalfthegrey
I love the Eye of the Beholder series by SSI.
achowles
thugsta wrote:

Any one know where to download some of these Old games, and there compatibility on newer computers

GOG.com and DotEmu.com both sell old games that have been reworked (or packaged with DOXbox) so they work on new systems. Steam also sells old games. But some titles, like Jedi Knight, don't work at all with modern systems.
wombatrpgs
Eh, you can always emulate an older OS if it's not directly compatible.
slimviking
jarcelao wrote:

for the forums of abandonia.com this is indeed the best game ever
Utopia GFR
Best DOS game for me was DOOM in the old days.

I could put in the same package QUAKE and of course DUKE NUKEM 3D.

Spent numerous hours doing LAN games with friends gaming on our huge computers back then Very Happy

I wanna add The 7'th GUEST and CYBERIA as well, really GREAT games.
ZeytinGrafik
donkey.bas by Bill Gates. It was hilarious. I still play Realms of Arkania series and Legends of Lore on the DOSBOX.