FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

theres a MICROCHIP on my WHEELIE BIN!!!

ommusic
just seen now after reading a bastard article in THE SUN.
look under the rim..where the lid closes.

TRANSPONDER DEVICE !!! in white letters.
coolclay
What the heck is a wheelie bin, and why is there a transponder in it?
kazikame
Our local council recently gave us all wheelie bins. They quietly said there were microchips in them so they can see where they're from if any are found. They probably are going to charge us for it soon though.
Manofgames
a wheelie bin is what people in the UK call a trash can or garbage can, or a bin.

It's basicly a big bin on wheels with a handle
[img]http://www.coventry.gov.uk/ccm/cms-service/stream/image/?image_id=12914037[/img]

here's a picture!

am i the only one here who doent't know what a transponder is???

hang on.. ill google it.

P.s. ur not allowed to swear Very Happy
mathiaus
The microchip is for monitoring how waste you produce (and put into the bin). It's been in the news quitre a bit recently, surprised you haven't seen it.
perfect example
I think its generally a good idea though there are many complications but this topic doesn't seem like the right to discuss it. Maybe world news?
CharKargis Olort
Is the problem of wheelie bin theft that great in the UK? I mean, if the things get stolen that much, perhaps another solution should be enacted.

I still don't see a that many trash cans getting away

Edit:i just read the link provided in the above post. Are you guys kidding me? a trash tax. Never mind that you paid taxes on the money to buy the stuff that went in the trash can, paid taxes on the products that eventually went in the trash can, and now they want you to pay a tax on the stuff in the trash can. That's not right.
Andrew426
CharKargis Olort wrote:

Edit:i just read the link provided in the above post. Are you guys kidding me? a trash tax. Never mind that you paid taxes on the money to buy the stuff that went in the trash can, paid taxes on the products that eventually went in the trash can, and now they want you to pay a tax on the stuff in the trash can. That's not right.
You do know it costs money to collect and dispose of waste, dont you?

So charging people based on how much they produce isnt a bad idea.
That way people/households who produce very little waste dont end up paying as much as a person/household that produces large amounts of waste.
Manofgames
where exactly on the whellie bin is this chip, because if it weighs the bin i assume its on the bottom, but i looked on my bin this morning, and didn't see any microchips.

at lwast not near the rim of the lid.
GProject
OK, well it was my impression that these chips are to monitor how often you put the bin out - because technically that's all they can do. They're not for bin theift purposes, because I don't think it's that big of a problem to warrant such a drastic response.

It's just a simple coded transmitter in the bin lid, then the rubbish collection van has a reciever on it which logs which bins have been emptied into it that day. There's no way a chip in the lid could accurately measure exactly how much is in the bin.

If they do start charging, my suggestion is not to put the bin out for emptying until it is full. That way you won't be logged for emptying every time.
saeleyjnr
In the UK, They're pondering charging people for the amount of waste they produce.

So the more you throw things out, the more you pay.

This may possibly be linked to the transponder you've found in you bin
neji
saeleyjnr wrote:
In the UK, They're pondering charging people for the amount of waste they produce.

So the more you throw things out, the more you pay.

This may possibly be linked to the transponder you've found in you bin

Here in Ghent (belgium) it's just the same, the microchip tells the adress etc. When the bin is getting emptyed the weight is messured and at the end of the month you have to pay the ammount of kg's of waste...

Hmm, i really need to work on my english Confused
jongoldsz
kazikame wrote:
Our local council recently gave us all wheelie bins. They quietly said there were microchips in them so they can see where they're from if any are found. They probably are going to charge us for it soon though.

Thats actually a good idea. Tough, I doubt someone would normally steal a wheelie bin, but since there is a microchip in it, its more likely that someone will.
saeleyjnr
jongoldsz wrote:
kazikame wrote:

Thats actually a good idea. Tough, I doubt someone would normally steal a wheelie bin, but since there is a microchip in it, its more likely that someone will.

Its a stupid idea. The cost of a micro chip in every wheelie bin (re-calling the current ones and distributing the new ones) would over shadow the cost of a new bin everytime yours gets stollen.

and who's going to monitor all the bins?

hiring staff (the greatest expense in the world) to monitor bins and keeping a database of bins.. well, its comical.

There's got to be something more to the bins than just finding lost/stollen bins
Jack_Hammer
saeleyjnr wrote:
jongoldsz wrote:
kazikame wrote:

Its a stupid idea. The cost of a micro chip in every wheelie bin (re-calling the current ones and distributing the new ones) would over shadow the cost of a new bin everytime yours gets stollen.

and who's going to monitor all the bins?

hiring staff (the greatest expense in the world) to monitor bins and keeping a database of bins.. well, its comical.

There's got to be something more to the bins than just finding lost/stollen bins

In some areas apparently there are being lots of destroyed vandalised and stolen wheelie bins (Don't ask me why) and the coucil in some areas think that rather than replacing half the bins every other week, if they would monitor them (Plus they have to fish out wheelie bins from rivers as one perticular story went... etc.)
truespeed
i found a chip in our bin,and we havent even had chippy,must of been the neighbours.
tomardern
We dont have one,

there was a protest at our concil because of them though :/
ItsWesley
Hah unlucky, here we don't have bins we just put the bin bags out on a monday.
David_Pardy
Simple steps to make the monitor chips obsolete:

1. Wake up at 3:30am
2. Tie bin bag up, quietly exit the house.
3. Sneak into neighbour's yard
4. Put rubbish quietly into neighbour's bin
5. Tiptoe back to front door, and enter house quietly.
6. Go back to bed.

Monitoring garbage is a STUPID idea and is going to screw over a lot of people if councils start charging money.
Davidgr1200
Councils already charge money - you pay via tax (poll tax or rates or whatever they're caleld these days). If you do not create much rubbish you still have to pay the same amount as someone who produces a lot. Icidentally, why is there so much rubbish? Newspapers/cardboard can be recycled, most other rubbish is given (sorry SOLD) to you by shops and then they leave you with the problem of disposing of it.
saeleyjnr
In certain parts of scandinavia, the compnaies that sell you the excess rubbish are responsible for it.

Eg. if you buy a bew computer, get it home, unwrap it, you then take all the crap back to the shop and they then have to dispose of the rubbish.

this cuts down on unnecessary packaging and waste.

But in the long run the cost of disposing the rubbish is passed onto consumers by higher prices..

so dunno who the winner is
craigpayne1985
thats well random soon they'll be putting transponders on us eek!
David_Pardy
craigpayne1985 wrote:
thats well random soon they'll be putting transponders on us eek!

People don't protest against the actions of their local councils enough or these things wouldn't happen.
Yazz
This just sounds silly. Absolutely silly.

Why would this even be a priority? Is their garbage disposal system so terrible that they need to squeeze every penny they can manage from people to make it semi-decent? You don't hear any other countries going, "Monitoring trash? SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA!"

Absolutely silly. Why don't they try to figure out how to monitor the nukes in North Korea. Or better yet, just throw their measured trash at them.

Blargh-rant.
Pikokola
hah??? chip in the bin??? I prefer put them to my panties, so if it's lost i can find it soon Razz
woundedhealer
People don't recycle enough in the UK and there's apparently only enough landfill sites left for the next 15 years at the rate they're being filled at the moment.

These micro chips have nothing to do with bin theft. They are purely for weighing our waste. The idea is that we shall be able to put a certain amount of waste in these bins, but if we put over a certain weight, we will be charged for it. It's a way of persuading people to recycle more.

I like the wheelie bins, they are so much more hygenic than black bags, which can rip and be torn open by animals. What I don't like is the black bins they give for recycled waste. They are far too small and only get collected once a fortnight, so I have to put some of it out in plastic bags.

Someone I know who lives in Somerset has to recycle practically everything, even food waste. It seems different councils have different ideas.
kazikame
jongoldsz wrote:
kazikame wrote:

My area is full of morons who like being destructive. Cool
nathanuk
Stupid goverment and stupid councils, I can now officialy say my country has problems hehe. The transponder taxes how much waste you through away, another way the goverment spies on people. I think it is a totaly stupid idea because a large familiy of lets say 5 people will genarate alot more trash then a single personn living on there own.

A family of 5 may struggle to pay yet another tax as they need the money for food or for cloths or other nesecasties(sorry for spelling) therefore they may need any extra cash they can save. Recyling your trash isnt as easy as just putting it in the bin. A single person living on there own would not genarate as much rubbish as a big family so he would not get taxed as much, and becuase they live on there own they might not need as much extra cash as a large family.

I think this is a really stupid idea thought up by goverments and councils, and when i say a single person living on there own i dont mean it as in there not in a realation ship i mean it as there is only 1 person in the household.
woundedhealer
Quote:
Recyling your trash isnt as easy as just putting it in the bin.

Why not? Most councils provide a recycle bin. Most supermarkets have recycle bins in their car parks and there are recycle centres you can take your waste to.

The British recycle less waste than most other European countries. Councils have to come up with better ways for us to recycle, and the public must get used to recycling. I recycle as much as I can. I use string bags when I go shopping so I never get any plastic carrier bags.

I don't agree with taxing people extra for their waste - what's to stop someone else putting their rubish in your bin? Also if this tax goes ahead, it will increase fly tipping, which the councils are going to have to clean up, andding even more money onto our annual tax bills.
Bockman
Well, I don't know how you pay for your garbage disposal units in your countries, but here in Portugal you are charged a tax for it when you pay for your water bill.

It's actually simple: they bill you a (small) percentage of what you pay your water use to subside your waist disposal. Although it may seem unfair, it has been prooved that people who use more watter also produce more waste (this depends on family size usually).
It may not be the perfect system, but it's a system.

Monitoring how much waste you produce and then charge for it has some problems (the using-your-neighbor's-bin being one of them Wink )

Be Well Cool
screamingdecay
I disagree with the fact paying for the weight is cheaper. Here in america, if you live in a neighborhood asscionason you pay a small fee with your home owners fees and such for the YEAR. In my Neighborhood, this covers Snow removal, Trash, All the graden crap they do in the area, repavment of sidewalks/roads each summer and so on. Even tho I hate the fact they go nuts over one slight thing thats wrong with your house (paint fadded on sutters BIG BEEPING DEAL! dumb old snobs) its still cheaper because I think my mother paid only 90 bucks? Not sure, my sister who does not have this, only pays 20 bucks a month for trash pick up and dispose.

How is a simple low flat few from a company cheaper then government ran trash pickup. UK should think about allowing self owned companys pick up trash and such like this.
roadruner
lol
what will they think of next? Smile
maybe a microchip in a dildo to see how much people use it Wink