FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Movie Making

snowboardalliance
OK, are there any programs that let you basically make a HUD (heads up display) type thing to add to a video? Like so you could make a live first person shooter video, but make it have a video game feel? I use movie maker, so the only way would be to make every "frame" of the HUD and use some chroma key filters to overlay it - very messy. Just curious because that would be cool.
Kd527
Well, if you wanna get advanced, you could use a combination of Photoshop, Final Cut Studio, and Shake on a Mac... Wink But that's probably overkill.

Would you be able to just make the image you want to use for a HUD as a PNG with transparancy and then drop it into another video track? I don't know if Movie Maker lets you do any kind of compositing or not...
Squirreler
I agree with KD, i dont think you willget any great results (if you get any at all) with windows movie maker!
Search around you might find some good freeware or some cheap shareware! Wink
eLto
here's a list of a lot of video editing/compositing softwares http://www.computervideo.net/software.html, and they should all have free trials.

The way I would go about making a hud, is using a combination of Photoshop and After effects (adobe). Make a psd with several layers, so that your HP can decrease after will. I'd composite on top of the video as a psd, since that's really easy to move around idividually.
jwellsy
Check out the free Bryce 5.0 package from DAZ 3D.
http://www.daz3d.com/newsletter/2006/weekly/newsletter8_22_06_44.html?trid=363237204

It has lots of premade 3D environments and a free object library.
alienjones
eLto wrote:

The way I would go about making a hud, is using a combination of Photoshop and After effects (adobe).

He could afford a real HUD from any jetfighter for the money he'd spend on this two applications Wink But there's a freeware app similar to After Effects -> Jahshaka (http://www.jahshaka.org)
monzoncf
maybe you can try the VIDEO EDIT MAGIC by DeskShare. It also uses a chroma keying and it is good. I'v actually using it in my Multimedia Project. It also give you a speed in rendering your video even if it is a 1 hour video. Give it a try bro. You can download the free version of it... Good Luck.
snowboardalliance
eLto wrote:
here's a list of a lot of video editing/compositing softwares http://www.computervideo.net/software.html, and they should all have free trials.

The way I would go about making a hud, is using a combination of Photoshop and After effects (adobe). Make a psd with several layers, so that your HP can decrease after will. I'd composite on top of the video as a psd, since that's really easy to move around idividually.

Since I found out I could get these programs (older versions) Wink I'll try this when I have time. After Effects is REALLY confusing though.
alienjones
snowboardalliance wrote:
After Effects is REALLY confusing though.

It's a pro-tool... what do you expect?
There are some very good video-tutorials on AE out there.
Perhaps you can also find an "older version" of these Wink
budazz
After effects is my choice plus primiere... both adobe products at first they are very confusing softwares ... but when you het used to it... you will the the "POWER"... ha
eLto
also, www.pixel2life.com and www.good-tutorials.com feature tutorials on how to do various stuff in both after effects and photoshop. After you do 50 different tutorials, you'll start to know your way around stuff.
whoamifooling
I use Adobe Premiere... I use everything Adobe, basically. PhotoShop, Page Maker, Premiere, Audition, etc.

Adobe is easy to use... But it's not cheap everything is likely to be $50 to $500.