FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wearing out mice ?

izcool
I've been an avid PC user for the past few years and I've worn out one mouse already, and I think I'm starting to wear out the one I'm using presently. The one I'm using right now is one of my favorite mice on the market when it was the "in thing" to have. Sadly, they don't sell it any longer in the retail stores. I've only found that you can buy them on eBay now.

The mouse I have right now is a Microsoft Optical Mouse by S+ARCK (the blue one, that looks like this).

So, my question is if this mouse that I have is worn out. I'm a bit shocked to think that already since the mouse is only a year old. Since this is one of my favorite, I'd hate to trash it.

The mouse has these symptoms presently :

- On the left side of the mouse, where the oval is at, I have a huge gray spot from where my thumb would sit. I'm guessing my thumb wore off the silver from it and is going into the inner plastic of it.
- I'm guessing there is a thin film of a clear substance on the mouse, probably to protect it from the silver wearing away, where I can tell that it's worn off from the areas where I would click and on the left side where I wore away the silver.
- The scroller doesn't act as good as it once did. I have to have the thing click 2 times before it starts scrolling. And when I do scroll, it seems to be uneven and doesn't have a nice feel any longer.
- The cord on the back is coming out of the mouse, with the small silver metal shavings from the cable are coming out, probably from extensive usage.

So what's your opinions on this ? Trash it ? Get something else, or one of the same kind that's new on eBay ?

- Mike.
RT Cunningham
If your mouse is starting to come apart and the buttons don't work right and the scroll wheel is acting funky, by all means trash it and get a new mouse.

I recommend a wireless optical mouse. The prices are reasonable and you don't have the wire to mess with. Both the Microsoft and Logitech brands are pretty good. I have a Logitech. The connection is a small USB stick, much better than the first wireless I had.

I've been using my mouse for about 6 months and I can't see any wear at all and I'm using it several hours a day. If you're wearing your mouse out at one year, it's either the wrong brand or your "mousing" habits are really unique.
diduknowthat
You probably won't get much from selling it on ebay, seeing the cable is coming out. You can get a pretty good laser mouse for pretty cheap today. Logitech makes great mice.
Jaan
Get a cheap $10 opticla mouse from MS. great quality mate.
tuncay
The A4 Tech X7, is a great mouse and affordable. I'd say, to keep your mouse for a long time, just be careful to clean it every now and then and don't touch it if your hands are greasy or such (eating chips or whatever)
generalgazz
I have a similar problem, I use an Logitech mx510 and they are very hard to come by now but I really like the feel of this mouse and have been using it the last 2 years.

Due to my extended use the mousewheel now sometimes fails to work fully and the pads under the mouse which help it slide across my desk easily have pretty much worn completely away and now the mouse does more of a scrape than a slide when moved.

I don't think it has much life left in it now and once it goes I doubt I'll find the same model of mouse again for a reasonable price.
Kelvin
errr... no one actually mentioned self cleaning the mouse? If you really still want to keep that mouse alive, try opening the casing and adjusting the cord to place (unless you are talking about the end of the cord: PS2/USB adapter).

THe scroller may have dirt/dush builtup, so a little cleaning can actually make it work smoother.

If your mouse button is not clicking well, you may have to add some form or padding or stuff a small piece of paper onto the trigger for proper contact.

This will extend the life of your mouse for a little longer.

As for the paint, can't do anything much unless you want to respray it. Don't think that's needed as your palm will get dirty when using it.
Prabhu Raj
All the symptoms that you mention point to only one thing.

Dust settled in your mouse moving parts.

Since what you are using is an optical mouse, i suggest you trash it. I know it is hard to trash someone's hard earned money. But if it is necessary then you should do it.
chrissmith
I reccomend logitec mice but don'y think you are off baddly I have bought three mice this year!
Droop
izcool wrote:
I've been an avid PC user for the past few years and I've worn out one mouse already, and I think I'm starting to wear out the one I'm using presently. The one I'm using right now is one of my favorite mice on the market when it was the "in thing" to have. Sadly, they don't sell it any longer in the retail stores. I've only found that you can buy them on eBay now.

The mouse I have right now is a Microsoft Optical Mouse by S+ARCK (the blue one, that looks like this).

So, my question is if this mouse that I have is worn out. I'm a bit shocked to think that already since the mouse is only a year old. Since this is one of my favorite, I'd hate to trash it.

The mouse has these symptoms presently :

- On the left side of the mouse, where the oval is at, I have a huge gray spot from where my thumb would sit. I'm guessing my thumb wore off the silver from it and is going into the inner plastic of it.
- I'm guessing there is a thin film of a clear substance on the mouse, probably to protect it from the silver wearing away, where I can tell that it's worn off from the areas where I would click and on the left side where I wore away the silver.
- The scroller doesn't act as good as it once did. I have to have the thing click 2 times before it starts scrolling. And when I do scroll, it seems to be uneven and doesn't have a nice feel any longer.
- The cord on the back is coming out of the mouse, with the small silver metal shavings from the cable are coming out, probably from extensive usage.

So what's your opinions on this ? Trash it ? Get something else, or one of the same kind that's new on eBay ?

- Mike.

Um yeah, you can try to fix it but trashing its the best idea. I have to tell you something thou, I have a Logitech wireless mouse that I got four years ago and yeah I'm an extensive gamer, and my mouse is still 100% functional. I've gone threw a few sets of rechargeable batteries but yet still have the same mouse. The paint isn't even on the left click anymore, but still works really good. I strongly suggest Logitech - they've always last a very long time for me and I game for hours each day of the year!!! Let us know what you get/do - happy posting