FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Training Cats(Atleast get them to come to u first!)

saratdear
I love cats, and dogs too, but cats seem a little more ... gentle. Anyway, that's not the point. How do you get a cat to come near you? I gave it some cookies, he just ate them. Hang on, i even dont know whether it is a 'he' or 'she' Do kitties drink water. Forgive if what i did was nonsense, i thought it would be thirsty after eating, so poured some water on the floor, he just sniffed and went back. I gave it another biscuit, and it again just sniffed and went out of the house!

But i guess this is an improvement. Before the cookies, if i went near it would run away. Does anyone know how to get a cat to agree with u? Very Happy Atleast not run away? Any info on kitty care will be appreciated. Wink

Thanks!

Lady_Star

It is a stray. But i still like it!
Lady_Star
Is this kitty yours or just a stray that you are trying to get to become your cat?
ThornsOfSorrow
Two of my cats were strays that I adopted. All I did to get my first cat to trust me was leave food and warm milk on my front porch and go inside. The cat ate the food, drank the milk, then left. But after that I always made sure that there was food on the porch and gradually he got friendlier and friendler, and eventually he wouldn't leave. My second cat just walked up to my dad and started rubbing against his legs, and then wouldn't leave, so that was a bit easier.

"Your" stray is probably just scared, since it most likely isn't used to human contact. Keep feeding it, and you'll probably be able to get him/her to stay with you eventually. And yes, cats like water.
HoboPelican
saratdear wrote:
But i guess this is an improvement. Before the cookies, if i went near it would run away. Does anyone know how to get a cat to agree with u? Very Happy Atleast not run away? Any info on kitty care will be appreciated. Wink

Thanks!

Lady_Star

It is a stray. But i still like it!

Cats are as different as we are...What works for one doesn't always work for others. That said.....

Sit as far away as possible. Slowly hold out your finger to him. Let him sniff and then pull it away and sit still. Move slow and let the cat make a move. If it comes closer, let it sniff you awhile and then slowly move to scratch its chin or head. Slow movement, letting it see everything you are doing and soft talk will help.

If it is used to people, you can be a little more forward, but if it is wild, take your time. I've rescued a LOT of wild cats and I think the key is to put yourself in the cat's mind set...hungry, afraid of humans, maybe beaten. Sit with it, act like a cat around it. Look around, ignore it, sometimes stare at it... Imitate it sort of...

Good luck!

BTW - If it IS a feral cat, be ready to bleed. If you really want to be friends with it, be ready to get scratched and accept it. And dont forget to treat the wound with antiseptic.
osbits
Perhaps you can google the answear you want.It is always there.
thealpha
I had a cat long time ago, actually I was quite small at that time, I think you may give them a feel of "warm" first.
ato784
ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
Two of my cats were strays that I adopted. All I did to get my first cat to trust me was leave food and warm milk on my front porch and go inside. The cat ate the food, drank the milk, then left. But after that I always made sure that there was food on the porch and gradually he got friendlier and friendler, and eventually he wouldn't leave. My second cat just walked up to my dad and started rubbing against his legs, and then wouldn't leave, so that was a bit easier.

"Your" stray is probably just scared, since it most likely isn't used to human contact. Keep feeding it, and you'll probably be able to get him/her to stay with you eventually. And yes, cats like water.

this is usually how people get stray cats to like them, and it seems to work since one of my friends has 6 cats at home Cool
bukaida
I had a male cat which survived thirteen years. All of my family members were fond of it, specially my sister. At the last stage of his life, he lost almost all of his teeth and was on liquid diet ( mainly milk). He used to share bed with us. There was no rat, cockroach or lizard in our house during those days. He was a very good hunter.Even after six years of his death ,we still miss him a lot.
jwellsy
Don't pour water on the floor for it. Many cats are very finicky about their water sources. Use a small bowl for the water and a second small bowl for food. Keep them in the same spot and fill the food bowl at the same time each day.

You also need a shallow pan to put kitty litter or sand in for it use as a toilet. Clean the litter box daily.

If you don't provide basic food, water and litter it will never be your cat.
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
Anyway, that's not the point. How do you get a cat to come near you? I gave it some cookies, he just ate them. Hang on, i even dont know whether it is a 'he' or 'she' Do kitties drink water. Forgive if what i did was nonsense, i thought it would be thirsty after eating, so poured some water on the floor, he just sniffed and went back. I gave it another biscuit, and it again just sniffed and went out of the house!

Socially I won't go after it, I'll let it come to me. Some of the cats I've owned prefer to be their own cat and make their own way to me. Then I agree with jwellsy. The cat needs to have its basic needs met. Water, food and a litter box. Not all cats are the same with what food they like. I don't think I would feed it biscuits however. Probably mostly tinned cat food and one quickly learns what the cat's preferences are as they can be pretty pedantic with their likes and dislikes. Dogs seem to be much more easy going.
Very Happy
iyepes
Food is the first way to communication. About water, they only drink if it is fresh and when they want. (i hardly see when mines drink, but they realky do).

Don't try to touch it, let it approach to you first. If it accept feeding from your hand, you could touch it below his mouth with the figers of the same hand, never above like a dog, they don't allow it if they don't thrust you.

Be carefull if it's a feral cat, a bite or an scratch could be dangerous.