FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu OS

padlock
Has anyone of you use this OS? Im using using it right now i found it not really my type of OS, I preffer mandrake
JamesBond
i use ubuntu and i find it a complete os.

what exactly is the point of this post??
babumuchhala
Hmm... Ubuntu is a complete OS and perfect for most.

JamesBond wrote:
what exactly is the point of this post??
Just to get to the 5 post mark to get hosting :p
{name here}
I don't like Ubuntu personally because it spoonfeeds you.
Jaan
Debian owns Ubuntu, completely.
djclue917
Jaan wrote:
Debian owns Ubuntu, completely.

You're like saying that Debian owns itself since Ubuntu is, in fact, a Debian derivative. Well, I'm not saying that Ubuntu is Debian nor Debian is Ubuntu. But you see, there is really no point in comparing Ubuntu to Debian since the two have different target audiences. Debian is a really great base (with a wide range of supported archs) and that is the reason, I think, why Ubuntu is based on Debian.

Debian is like the culmination of all the different thoughts and opinions of many different people while Ubuntu has a sabdfl.

However, as far as I can see, Debian is trying to change its being-hard-to-use (well, for newbies most probably) reputation with the release of Etch.

Now, going back to the topic, Ubuntu only ships with free software. One consequence is that media files using non-free codecs/formats won't play out-of-the-box in Ubuntu. I think that's one factor which makes Ubuntu, as far as difficulty VS ease is concerned, lie between being a very easy and being a very hard-to-use distro, which I think is good.

In that way, Ubuntu gives newbies something to start off with (like an already functional, full-blown desktop-oriented OS, for example) while giving newbies a taste of the shell. Wink
Animal
This thread should give you an insight into Ubuntu and other Linux distributions. I'm sorry, but I'll have to -close- this topic. Unfortunately, people aren't answering your question and telling you about Ubuntu but are saying "this distro is better" and the link I posted above is another thread of these opinions.