FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SSL Ever on Frihost?

Satori
I am currently looking to add a shopping cart to my website. In order to do this, I need SSL support. No one wants to submit credit card info through an unsecured site. I know SSL is currently not enabled. Is this ever going to change? Are there any plans to support it or enable it? I really need it! Please help me out!
Animal
It's doubtful that we'll enable SSL because the SSL certificates are extremely expensive. If you use a non-frih domain, you wouldn't be able to use the certificate so it's highly unlikely.

However, you can use payment companies like PayPal to accept payments with your current site. This is probably easier and cheaper than accepting very low volumes of direct Credit Card payments.
Satori
I could use paypal if they had a shopping cart that would work for what I wanted to use it for. They have two options...buy it now and a shopping cart. If you go to this thread, you will see why paypal will not work for me. Do you have any other suggestions that don't require SSL?
Daniel15
Quote:
They have two options...buy it now and a shopping cart.

You can use PayPal as a payment gateway. As an example, you could use a shopping cart like osCommerce or CRE Loaded for your site, and then once it's done, pass all the details to PayPal, and the payment will be done like that. This is how payment on sites like http://www.domainsite.com/ works. If your shopping cart supports plugins or addon modules, there's a chance that you can use PayPal for the payment. I'm quite sure that CRE Loaded has an in-built PayPal payment module

Quote:
Do you have any other suggestions that don't require SSL?

My suggestion would be to find a cheap payment gateway. Some of your local banks may offer this kind of service. As an example, there's a company in Australia named 'eWay' (http://www.eway.com.au/) that provides such a service. Basically, this works similar to what I explained above. The person uses your shopping cart like normal. However, once you come to the checkout, all the details are passed to the payment gateway (like eWAY). After the user enters in all their details (on the eWAY site, using an SSL connection), it passes them back to your site, and tells your site that they've paid.

Most online stores use something similar. It's just too risky to process the credit cards yourself. Searching Google for 'payment gateway' should return some useful results that will help you with this Smile
hilander
I am planning to use a free ssl certificate. Will I be able to install it in my frihost site ? I have read,,that ssl is not enabled in frihost..I am kind of confused..Help,, Help ,,Help
Animal
hilander wrote:
I am planning to use a free ssl certificate. Will I be able to install it in my frihost site ? I have read,,that ssl is not enabled in frihost..I am kind of confused..Help,, Help ,,Help

No. Frihost does not and will not support SSL.
hilander
Thanks for your promt reply Mr. animal.
But, now I am facing a problem,,which I am tempted not to solve...the problem is that in frihost I wont be able to secure my customers data...but that means,,that my customers could be spamed,,right ? Having no SSL for my customers data,,wont mean,,that hackers would be able to rob from my customers credit cards, right ?...in short,, I think I could still use my site in frihost,,,,my customers wont be robbed,,but will be spammed.,,,thats all,,am I right ? I hope you understand me...thank you,,,thank you..
Animal
hilander wrote:
But, now I am facing a problem,,which I am tempted not to solve...the problem is that in frihost I wont be able to secure my customers data...but that means,,that my customers could be spamed,,right ? Having no SSL for my customers data,,wont mean,,that hackers would be able to rob from my customers credit cards, right ?...in short,, I think I could still use my site in frihost,,,,my customers wont be robbed,,but will be spammed.,,,thats all,,am I right ? I hope you understand me...thank you,,,thank you..

Well... no. You are not allowed to process card transactions on Frihost directly because there is no secure server. Any money transactions via your site must be carried out using a third party tool such as PayPal. You are correct that other customer data such as email addresses will not be encrypted during a transfer and could therefore technically be intercepted. However, this is really not a serious issue - if you think about it, almost all sites that you sign up to (eg. the Frihost Forums) require you to submit your name / email address etc through unencrypted channels.
hilander
yes,,that is what I thought. The card processing will have to be carried out of my frihost site (like paypal),,and that means,,that all that data will be done securely,,my customrers can type their payment data securely....But, when my customers are logging in,,all the data they will type to register,,wont be encrypted..but that data could be used only for spamming,,am I right ?

thank you fro your reply,,Mr animal,,I really appreciate it...
Animal
hilander wrote:
....But, when my customers are logging in,,all the data they will type to register,,wont be encrypted..but that data could be used only for spamming,,am I right ?

Potentially, but it's unlikely that a simple spammer would got to so much trouble when there are far easier ways for them to collect email addresses.
hilander
But,,then,,what would be the risks if you host your online store in frihost, which does not support ssl ???
Animal
hilander wrote:
But,,then,,what would be the risks if you host your online store in frihost, which does not support ssl ???

The only real risk to a non-SSL secured page is that data being sent back and forth could theoretically be intercepted and read. This is not a problem unless the data is particularly sensitive (eg. Credit Card numbers etc). You are not allowed to collect direct payment data using Frihost - if you run a store, you need to use an external company such as PayPal to process the transactions. Because the payment occurs on another site that is secured, there is no risk. At all.
hilander
Thanks a lot Mr. Animal, thanks, thanks, thanks a lot...I wil skip this worry and try to end once and for all my store...thanks again