FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving! :D

zanzou
Well, I'm about to leave to visit family for Thanksgiving. :] I've been talking to some of my shiny-new-American friends, and am totally boggled at the differences between Thanksgiving in the States and up here.

Is it true that you all get a full week off? Like in shows, do you put on stage productions about it?
HoboPelican
zanzou wrote:
Well, I'm about to leave to visit family for Thanksgiving. :] I've been talking to some of my shiny-new-American friends, and am totally boggled at the differences between Thanksgiving in the States and up here.

Is it true that you all get a full week off? Like in shows, do you put on stage productions about it?

Dont know about school anymore, but usually us workerbees get a Thursday and Firday off. and all kinds of stage shows...but the big thing is FOOD.

Turkey, Mashed Potatos, carnberry sauce, pumpkin pies, green beans, rolls, candies yams...oh, lord, it is amazing.
ocalhoun
A full week off and stage productions? Not even close to either.
Lots and lots of good old-fashioned food and a long weekend? Yes.
Thanksgiving would be more popular here, ecxept the tradition is that you visit your extended family, which can be unpleasant.
neji
Hmm, thanksgiving does not exist here in Belgium Surprised

Looks great! Surprised (and then i'm talking about the food-thing Very Happy)
KentB
Mmmm....I can't wait for this Sunday... it's going to be fantastic, and i'm going to devour more pumpkin pie than anyone Very Happy

In my family, we have a tradition that says we have to bring as much food as our family would normall eat, lol, so my family has to bring a lot Wink I'm a growing teenager, after all...
Dean_The_Great
Thank you very much!

Thanksgiving is a great holiday, and one of the few that are actually used for the same purpose they were created. Of course, the whole tradition doesn't make mention of the tense socio-political climate that ensued between races, but the giving of thanks is always something to appreciate.

Plus, it rocks to have a nice Turkey Dinner!

Happy Thanksgiving to All! And to you Americans, Happy Thanksgiving in a month a half. =P
HoboPelican
So, I'm really curious now. How is Canadian Thanksgiving different? Sounds like turkey and pumpkin pie are both staples, but what is boggling zanzou? Wink

Come on, my Canadian friends, tell me about your holiday!
zanzou
HoboPelican wrote:
So, I'm really curious now. How is Canadian Thanksgiving different? Sounds like turkey and pumpkin pie are both staples, but what is boggling zanzou? :wink:

Come on, my Canadian friends, tell me about your holiday!

Well, we don't do any reinactments of the first meeting between the pilgrims & the natives, for one.... hell, we don't do reinactments at all. The only thing I ever really remember doing for thanksgiving was arts&crafts, and one of the things we made was a turkey that we traced from our hand.

In conclusion: thanksgiving in canada (at least where I'm from) ONLY has to do with the meal, and maybe a family get together. It's not nearly as big a deal as Christmas, which I've heard is different than the states.