FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Banned Books Week

WickedGravity
Every year, at the end of September the American Library Association (ALA) hosts the Banned Books Week.

My take on this is that it shows the complete and total idiocy of the American School System.

Lord Of The Flies, Tom Sawyer, The Diary of Anne Frank?

Ignorance is no excuse.

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bannedbooksweek.htm
rip8fan1
I have to disagree slightly! It shows the stupidity of SOME of the American People!

The American School System has to be extremely careful with what they 'show' to the kiddies because they get sued over the most stupid things! Just a while back, we had a news report of a TEACHER getting fired because they took a field trip to a museum and one of the KIDS saw a statue that was NUDE, and his/her parents made such a fuss over this - and they SIGNED a permission slip for the kid to go!!!!!!!!!!!!
evanc88
I'm supportive of this. It's a great campaign, I think, because some of the most risque books are those which teach us the most. Of course, books like Lord of the Flies, Huck Finn, To Kill A Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men, The Catcher in the Rye, The Giver, Ceremony, etc etc... all of these books are accepted and pretty much staples of American literature now, so the cause is kind of ... not uneccesary, but unaffective as of now. I think we live in a society where literature is viewed with an open mind by most. With the exception of poor J.K. Rowling. She's taken quite a few beatings by some groups, and her books are really great reads. In my opinion, they have only a small literary merit, but they get millions of kids to love reading so, more power to her, I say.
Biodiesel
It's a BBW celebration!

(Check out the website listed on the top post, the ALA website)