FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

made the swtich, having fun

prototype_angel
I changed from windows to linux and I feel great about it. I tried vista out and got terribly annoyed with it. It'll be way too expensive and there weren't any new features. I tried six operating systems before I settled with ubuntu.

Are there any other people who've switched over?
WickedGravity
I made the switch and have switched back and forth since. Mostly because I keep screwing up and all.

May I ask what Distro you use? I have tried all the Ubuntu's since Warthog and have found them intuitive to use. I tried really hard to like Fedora Core, but it is impossible to upgrade and it is a monster to download.

I tried to install Debian but the DVD burn was bad and the files got corrupted, which seems to happen more often than not.
redice
I use linux at home, but my company use windows platform. Some tools just use under windows, so I can't switch my work computer to linux.

Linux need some more end user support.
Nyizsa
I switched almost a year ago, to Debian. It's GREAT! As well as the philosophy. Several good points:
- I used to spend hours to find specific pieces of software (compilers, etc.) for Window$, and ended up with trial versions. In Linux, everything is there - for free!
- We have a helpful community.
- The computer now at last does only what I want, and does it very well.
- No more virus, spyware, malicious software.
- And no more stupid error messages!
ocalhoun
redice wrote:

Linux need some more end user support.

And who, without being paid, is going to provide that support?
If you want support, get a commercial version of SuSE; they give you 24/7 expert phone support (if you pay for it).
webapp
Linux is an operating system of choice by many companies to run their corporate systems,

infact over 60% servers are linux based

Apache is again a very popular server over 67% of sites run on apache

You made a good choice......
mikethm
prototype_angel wrote:
I changed from windows to linux and I feel great about it. I tried vista out and got terribly annoyed with it. It'll be way too expensive and there weren't any new features. I tried six operating systems before I settled with ubuntu.

Are there any other people who've switched over?

I had tried a switch. But went back to WinXP due to technical issues. CUPS+SAMBA won't work properly on Ubuntu 6.06. I can't find some video codecs to play certain multimedia files. P2P applications are a hassle to set up( for someone used to windows security setup that is). Other than that, Ubuntu is great.

I think I will also switch over to Ubuntu when they stop updating WinXP. WinXP is still more versatile than any linux OS. Nevertheless, expecting consumers to pay USD199 for a stripped version of their new Vista means I will switch to linux when my current WinXP configurations does not cut it.
Josso
I like the look of Linux but for compatibility and things I could never realisticly switch permenantly. Unfortunatly I'm stuck.

And I'm not surprised you got put of by Vista by the way, the beta was terrible so I heard.
orno
Josso wrote:
And I'm not surprised you got put of by Vista by the way, the beta was terrible so I heard.

beta 1 maybe...after that its all been good...
budazz
its hard for me to switch my os windows to linux since all of my applications and my work are under windows... but ive already tried ubuntu its a good OS... Exclamation
SurBiff
Good for you m8.

I've switch over for about 3 years ago and at that time there whas no ubuntu, so i started up with
Windows XP / Mandrake DualBoot.
after ive learned some terminal commands i kept going with suse and fedora core.
After that (6 months) i thought i whas ready to do something really nasty so i formatted the hard drive and installed Debian, when the system whas ready to use my mind whas totaly moshed.

then there whas Ubuntu. and there i am still today.