FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


VPN or soemthing?





jarred89
Hello,

I have a business where there are 2 computers but they arnt in the same place one is at my house and another is at my sisters house. I was wondering if there is away we can access files and stuff from the main compuer (this one) at her house is this what VPN does??

Thanks
Jarred
Animal
VPN is a Virtual Private Network. It would allow you to do this, but it is probably over-complicated and too expensive to set up for only 2 computers. You should perhaps look into VNC software like RealVNC which allows you to control your work PC from your home PC by remote control. As long as you have a decent web connection (broadband) this should work fine, and it allows you to transfer and/or edit files on the remote PC.

HTH Very Happy
jarred89
I dont want a remote thing like that i want it to the files can just be used on the other computer and be the same
redice
Use windows file share, MSN file transfer, ftp server/client, www server(IIS)...
Vpn is ok, but it is the most difficult way.
billgertz
you can use remote access instead of installing VPN. i believe Windows XP has that feature. you can also try teamviewer http://teamviewer.com or logmein http://logmein.com . these programs features file transfer, chat and remote access. thanks.
Animal
billgertz wrote:
you can use remote access instead of installing VPN. i believe Windows XP has that feature. you can also try teamviewer http://teamviewer.com or logmein http://logmein.com . these programs features file transfer, chat and remote access. thanks.


jarred89 wrote:
I dont want a remote thing like that i want it to the files can just be used on the other computer and be the same


Please actually read a thread before you reply in it! Rolling Eyes
ben.lastname
If you want a quick and dirty VPN tool you might try using Hamachi. It's a free VPN client that allows you to easily and FREELY make VPNs even if you don't have an external IP address. All you do is tell one PC to create a "network" and then join the netowrk with the second (and perhaps third and fourth) computer.
orcaz
ben.lastname wrote:
If you want a quick and dirty VPN tool you might try using Hamachi. It's a free VPN client that allows you to easily and FREELY make VPNs even if you don't have an external IP address. All you do is tell one PC to create a "network" and then join the netowrk with the second (and perhaps third and fourth) computer.

yea, using hamachi to vlan is easy... juz install it on both computer, cr8 a network and get comps u want to join the network. simple as that. i use it mainly for vlan gaming with my friends, so i disabled file sharing.
Prabhu Raj
Animal wrote:
VPN is a Virtual Private Network. It would allow you to do this, but it is probably over-complicated and too expensive to set up for only 2 computers. You should perhaps look into VNC software like RealVNC which allows you to control your work PC from your home PC by remote control. As long as you have a decent web connection (broadband) this should work fine, and it allows you to transfer and/or edit files on the remote PC.

HTH Very Happy



Animal is absolutely right. But if you do not have a public IP then real VNC will not work in your case.

It all depends on How much you can afford and the distance between your house and your sister's house. If it is close by (less than 100 meters) then you can go for wireless LAN or CAT5/6 Lan Cable.

If it is greater then you should go for Wireless routers or switches.

You can also go for leased line access.

If everything else fails then go for removable media. Razz
MunkyBunky
Of course depending on how maby you could just email them.
blueray
Hmm... did you require secure connection. What type of styles you needed

Can you post details about that ?

Thanks.
Related topics
What's Your site About
VPN Connection between Ubuntu (server) and windows XP
vpn and dial up
Third party VPN software?
VPN via Linux
How to access websites blocked by proxy?
RRAS and IAS (RADIUS) Authentication Plugin...
VPN Services?
Team viewer VPN
VPN Setup
VPN Program
Update Regarding ebolG Status on VPN
Redes Privadas Virtuales ( VPN ) y anonimato en Internet
Free fresh proxy and vpn list
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.