FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cant install Red Hat Fedora 4

ibay
I tried to install Fedora 4. After giving all the options it starts installation, but halfway through (after using just 1 CD out of 4) it says installation is complete and reboots the system. After the reboot, there is no Linux option and Windows start.
Jaan
press delete and startup and configure your BIOS to boot from linux partition.
if u didnt make a prtition for linux ur screwed go and make one now quickly with norton ghost then instlal again then press del @ startup then configure bios to boot form your linux partition and also debian owns fedora get debian it completely is the best linux evah.
ibay
Hi, I have a Linux partition on which I was installing it. If u mean Boot partition, then I don't have that one for Linux. I have NTFS on C: Drive with WIN XP. Is it the cause of the problem? and how to make a boot partition for linux without Norton? (I don't have it). I have partition magic.
moskito
you have to install a bootloader, when you installed Fedora have you confirmed to install grub (the bootloader that came w/ Fedora CD)?

You need it 'cause the bootloader that came w/ Windows doesnt see linux partition
ibay
moskito wrote:
you have to install a bootloader, when you installed Fedora have you confirmed to install grub (the bootloader that came w/ Fedora CD)?

You need it 'cause the bootloader that came w/ Windows doesnt see linux partition

Thanks, but this is a basic thing to consider. I used the Grub option but the problem is when it is halfway through installation, the installation process is terminated and system restarts, without specifying any error.
moskito
You need just the first CD to install the basic system. Look those steps from a tutorial that i found. I think that you have done something wrong here.

http://www.stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html

* Select "automatically partition" on the "Disk Partitioning Setup" page. Click "Next". If you elect to manually edit your partition with Disk Druid, double click on the partition, select the "swap" file type, and configure your swap space size to equal about twice your computer's physical memory size. Double click on the remainder of the partition to configure it as a Linux ext3 file system. At minimum you must designate this remaining space (probably /dev/hda2 or /dev/sda2) as the root "/" partition mount point.

* If you are going to dual boot Windows and Fedora and you already have Windows installed on another partition select "keep all partitions and use existing free space" on the "Automatic Partitioning" page. Otherwise select "Remove all partitions on this system" to use all of your hard disk for Fedora or choose "Remove all Linux partitions on this system" for a fresh install over any existing Linux partitions. Click "Next".
jabol
ibay, I have to know some more things before I can tell something.
is there any information about errors or just reboot without any visible errors?
are you using "Recommended" or "Full" install of Fedora? if yes try to use "Minimal" or something similar.

if it comes to partitioning, I generally use only two partitions for Linux, one swap and one for "/" filesystem (sometimes you can use another partition for "/home" but I prefer to do it on some other HD. then I install bootloader Lilo in MBR (master boot record) and it works for me.
ibay
jabol wrote:
ibay, I have to know some more things before I can tell something.
is there any information about errors or just reboot without any visible errors?
are you using "Recommended" or "Full" install of Fedora? if yes try to use "Minimal" or something similar.

The error screen comes and disappears quickly, but it says something about Terminating Something. I think there is a hardware compatibility issue.

and I used both FULL and MINIMAL options. with minimal option, the installation goes a little farther.
jabol
ibay wrote:

The error screen comes and disappears quickly, but it says something about Terminating Something. I think there is a hardware compatibility issue.

system probably is going down to reboot and terminates all of its processes, this is happening every time you reboot or shutdown Linux. if system shuts down during install it may be some hardware problem, most of really fresh hardware may cause problems like rebooting, "kernel panic", or if you are lucky some of devices just don`t work.
ibay wrote:

and I used both FULL and MINIMAL options. with minimal option, the installation goes a little farther.

if the installation is still problem even with "minimal" option you can some of the newest live-CD to check if at least this kind of linux will work for your hardware. for instance KNOPPIX 5.0.1, it's actually live-DVD but it has a lot of fresh software and quite fresh kernel. if you want some small live-CD you can use SLAX v 5.1.8, the best to use is SLAX Standard Edition.
it some of live-CD will be fully-operating for your hardware you can try to install some other Linux instead of Fedora. for beginners Ubuntu is good, it`s said to be "Linux for human beings" Smile
ibay
jabol wrote:

if the installation is still problem even with "minimal" option you can some of the newest live-CD to check if at least this kind of linux will work for your hardware. for instance KNOPPIX 5.0.1, it's actually live-DVD but it has a lot of fresh software and quite fresh kernel. if you want some small live-CD you can use SLAX v 5.1.8, the best to use is SLAX Standard Edition.
it some of live-CD will be fully-operating for your hardware you can try to install some other Linux instead of Fedora. for beginners Ubuntu is good, it`s said to be "Linux for human beings" Smile

Thanks, thats a lot for me, I'll definately try one of these versions.
Apart from this, the URL for Fedora Help which you provided is really helpfull and I could not find it before.