FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Snake

Guyon
Mid August my kids came running into the house saying that a big snake was under the steps of a neighbors house. By the time I go there a small group had already gathered and was staring at it.

Well it was big (almost 6 foot), and I was not exactly sure what kind of snake it was. Running back home I looked on the Internet and discovered that it was a Black Rat Snake. I could tell that to was not poisonous by looking at its eyes. Poisonous snakes have slit like pupils, and non-poisonous have round pupils.

Grabbing a garbage can and a stick I gently lifted it up and put it in my garbage can. And made sure the lid was tight. Then walking deep into the woods I released it. While one of my neighbors wanted to kill it, I figured any snake that big has been eating things I don't want around my house anyway.

The snake was very docile as I released it and casually slid off into the woods. Even after being shaken up as I ran down the hill into the woods. Well needles to say I talked like the Crocodile Hunter for 2 days till my wife got tired of it and told me to stop.
Guyon
OK. So it is now October and I was hauling grass clippings over the hill after cutting the lawn. As I was dumping them I saw from the corner of my eye I saw moment and it was a snake in strike position. I backed up and sure enough it was the same Black Rat Snake. I am concluding that it was the same Snake because you do not see a snake that size too ofter. After a moment of looking at each other, it started up the steep hill towards my house.

Now I have children and while I like what good snakes do for me, I do not want one that size in my yard. So trying to deter it from going up the hill was a challenge and the snake did not appreciate my attempts in stopping it. It only went faster and tuning back in strike position every now and then to warn me to leave it alone. I finally got a stick and tried to pick it up, but it was moving too fast now, and slid off my stick. I then tired to toss it back, trying to scare it back into the woods, but it kept coming back trying to go up the hill to my house. I think I finally spooked it and it started towards a tree.

This was fascinating for me to watch as the snake went directly up the tree, in nearly a straight line. No winding around it, but almost straight up. It eventually did take a few turns and kept climbing. I got my daughter to come and see it. Although we cold not find it at fist, because while I was in the house it changed trees. We watched it for a while till my son got home and it again changed to yet another tree. I t was three stories high at this point!

I hope he does not finally make it in to my yard, but if he does I will try and take him farther into the woods, so he will be safe and keep eating other things I don't want around.
mschnell
Wow, I absolutely hate snakes and would probably be just like your neighbor about it. I can't really help it. Every time I see a snake, something in me snaps and I want it dead. It's the only creature I've ever had this reaction to, but unfailingly, I have it every time.
Idoru
What an experience! Anxious
I'm more of a 'cats-person', but used to keep and care for a californian kingssnake.
They don't get more then 1-1,5 meters, and she lived in captivity. To share your
experience would be priceless! Nice of you to keep your head cool, or at least be able
to cool it quick. Applause

Don't get lots of thoose encounters here, since I live in Sweden, but it was good
sharing yours. Thx, though I understand your wife. Laughing
scotty
Good work for not killing it. If it comes near your house again I'd probably want it taken care of though.
ocalhoun
scotty wrote:
Good work for not killing it. If it comes near your house again I'd probably want it taken care of though.

What for? They eat pests like rats and squirrels, and are probably less dangerous than rats.
HoboPelican
I wouldn't kill it, if you are absolutely sure of it's id. If it shows up again, and it is that easy to catch, just take it further away. Anything that keeps the rodent population done naturally is good thing in my book.
RhysAndrews
Even though I live in the bush in Australia, I almost never see snakes. And if I'm told that there's a snake in our backyard, we just agree not to go outside for a week or so, and it's gone by then. What I am scared of are spiders, and even though I love animals, spiders must die if its' a solution to getting them away from our house.

-Rhys
allanxiao
I hold a snake once around my neck, they are not that scary actually.

Maybe~ some are.... Very Happy
scotty
ocalhoun wrote:
scotty wrote:

What for? They eat pests like rats and squirrels, and are probably less dangerous than rats.

I don't know about USA but I come from a country where 90% of snakes can kill you.

Okay I made that up but I'm sure there are plenty that can.
HoboPelican
scotty wrote:

I don't know about USA but I come from a country where 90% of snakes can kill you.

Okay I made that up but I'm sure there are plenty that can.

LOL. You're supposed to use 85% when making up stats! But it got me thinking and I did a little search for "poisonous australian snakes".

This is typical of what I found.
http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/australian_venomous_snakes.html
Quote:

The number one snake on the list - the Inland taipan - so far is responsible for exactly zero confirmed deaths in humans

Quote:

When snake bite fatalities per million inhabitants are compared, Australia's venomous snakes pale to insignificance, especially next to places like India, South America and Africa. Even the figure for the USA is clearly higher (Australia 0.13, USA nearly 1).

Quote:

Like all other Australian animals our poisonous snakes haven't had to deal with humans until more recently. As a result they are very inoffensive and shy. Snake bites are not a common occurrence in Australia at all!

Quote:

The deadliest of all Australian Animals, responsible for an average of 10 deaths per year, is the European Honey Bee.

I'm gettting the impression that australian snakes aren't as dangerous as we've always heard!
coolclay
Its good to now there are at least some moral people out there that have respect for wild animals. I am very proud of anyone who captures and releases a snake. I have seen way to many cases of wimps, who kill little tiny cute, harmless baby snakes, just because its a snake. People like this don't deserve to live themselves, in my opinion.
scotty
coolclay wrote:
Its good to now there are at least some moral people out there that have respect for wild animals. I am very proud of anyone who captures and releases a snake. I have seen way to many cases of wimps, who kill little tiny cute, harmless baby snakes, just because its a snake. People like this don't deserve to live themselves, in my opinion.

I think it's called the food chain. Razz

As for our snakes not being as dangerous as I thought, I still don't want them anywhere near me. My mother is petrified by snakes and I guess it has rubbed off on me, the idea of confronting a snake near or in my house is a bit disturbing. I've come across snakes on my farm and I have no problem with that, they just go off on their merry way.