FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I Want To Gain 40lbs

lyndonray
how the hell should i go about it! Even when I eat a lot i only gain like 2 pounds. and I don't want to hear the whole a-keg-a-week crap. what type of foods should i concentrate on as well as excersices. I don't want overdose on junk food so please try to stick with food that won't clog all my arteries. I am also skeptical of these protein shakes because i have bought them twice and they didn't work.
gh0stface
In order to gain more weight, is to increase your caloric intake. So if you're consuming say around 2500, which is what the average male eats, you need to up it to say 4000 calories.

Protein helps too. However you have to make sure you lift weights. As muscle is denser then fat. Although you have to remember, you build muscle when you rest. Lifting just tears the muscle fibers so that it can lift heavier weights next time you go lift.

For protein shakes, you can either consume them 4 times a day or just twice a day. For 4 times a day, once when you wake up, once before you go lift, once after you lift, and once before bed time. During off days, just drink a shake when you wake up, during a mid morning break, a mid afternoon break, and once before you goto bed.

Or for twice a day, once before you go lift and once after you lift.
em0o
what a lucky guy. I just want to lose weight.
damj
Why?
LostOverThere
em0o wrote:

Lol, I have a friend, shes 550lbs...she doesnt even care how much she weighs. Laughing
lyndonray
damj wrote:
Why?

ummm, because I want to annoy the world? No man, I weigh like 140 lbs. That's nothing. I understand there are more people out there who want to lose than gain. I guess my situation is slightly better.

Thanks for the advice gh0stface - any other tips are more than welcome!
Citizen Kane
This COULD be a problem with your thyroid. A thyroid which works too fast causes a lot of problems, one of them is underweight.

perhaps you could see a docter about this? they can test you for a thyroid which works too fast.
bambholebaba
If u really want to gain weight, eat and sleep, again eat and again sleep dont do anything dont bother for the gain or loss and see the difference !! If anything is to be done between eating and sleeping, just LAUGH !!!!
mwellsy
I need to put weight on too, I'v been packing down hamburgers, and eating pure rubbish.

It has not helped at all...

What it has done is make me generally unhealthy and now i get constant mouth ulcers because i have a reduced immune response, and i keep getting colds and flues.

I have gone back to eating a balanced diet. and have found out that putting on weight the wrong way can be just as dangerous to your health losing it the wrong way.

Go to a Gymnasium and talk to a fitness trainer, It's their job to get you to your best weight, and will be able to tell you how to do it safely.

I will be starting this soon as i would like a few more Kilos in muscle rather than fat.
lyndonray
yea a seeing a trainer is a good idea. will see one and hope he/she doesn't charge me a skinny arm or leg!!! as for sleeping and eating - I would try that except i have a feeling it would interfere with my job - which I can't allow to happen. will see.
filet
im also underweight..what i do i eat lots of rice+with chicken/fish+vege-5 times a day,i heard that cabbage can slow down metabolism..not sure about that..
im also drink weight gain(brand-appeton)-i gained 4-5 kilogrammes
Im also exercise a lot and drink lots of milk.
chasbeen
Eat about 2 hours before bedtime.
Hi fat dairy products work best. Food is converted best to body fat from non exertion. Have a good nights sleep...
h3x-RS-
Lift weights & ride a bike in a high gear...I gained alot of weight in muscle by doing those two things...Eat lots aswell of course but make sure it's all healthy Wink
paulbarter
I think that as long as you are exercising, sleeping well and eating healthy food, you should be fine. People always have some sort of hang up about their appearance, sometimes thats just how we are. Try to see things differently. Some people dont have arms and legs! We all have something to be greatfull for.
cbf-cma
Does caffeine make it harder to gain weight? Anybody know because I've increased my calories, but coffee and energy drinks are probably effecting my metabolism
indianinworld
bambholebaba wrote:
If u really want to gain weight, eat and sleep, again eat and again sleep dont do anything dont bother for the gain or loss and see the difference !! If anything is to be done between eating and sleeping, just LAUGH !!!!

This is an Perfect IDEA to gain Weight. And if you want to Lose ur Weight - Do the opposite of this... Razz
indianinworld
I Was lean and atheletic till before an Year. But now it has quiet opposite.
When i myself did a comparison on certain facts before an year and after an year, i came to the following conclusion -

1. Never worry about any happenings. Always try to be Cool to handle the Situation.
2. Even if you take Less food or the If you dont like that food - Eat it happily, Specifically - Don't Complain.
3. I was away from my Home (Home Food) - And i was taking OUTSIDE FOOD Very Happy . I dont know how much this has helped in gaining weight. But for sure - this did something.
4. No INTAKE of Alcoholic Drinks AND No Smoking.
5. Regular INTAKE of Protein / Calorie rich food such as Chicken, Fish, Badam, Cashew Nuts.

Try these to gain weight. Sure it will. For more Help - Take advice from a QUALIFIED - Consultant, Dietician.

Keep Smiling Smile
sbel
indianinworld wrote:

4. No INTAKE of Alcoholic Drinks AND No Smoking.
5. Regular INTAKE of Protein / Calorie rich food such as Chicken, Fish, Badam, Cashew Nuts.

that's right. try eating 5 times a day. and eat full meals, no junk food
kcthomas44
You took protien shakes twice??? are you crazy. Gaining weight is a monthly process. Itll take you at the least 2 to 3 months to gain that kind of weight and to do it in that little time you'd have to be on some kind of steroid or Prohormone. I personaly have tried prohormones and they work great. They don't have any of the bad side effects that steriods are rumored to have. I took it for about a month, worked out HARD everyday and drank a protien shake within 30min of every work out and I ate good homecooked meals including lots of greens and meat and rice and stuff like that. That's how i'd gain the weight if
I were you but thats that
The-Master
To gain weight you need to build up muscle not fat. Muscle weighs three times more than fat. To do this, simply go the the gym after a protein drink. Also every night before bed or whatever time suits simply do 50 press ups (thats what I started on) maby if you are not so fit try 10 or 20. Do that each day for a month where you then the next month increse the number you were doing by 10. Once you reach 100 press ups I would stop as you start to loose count after 100 with the rush of blood to the head you get. So simply do 100 press ups and star at 50 or whatever pull ups.

It works. I am now 170lbs.
driftingfe3s
The-Master wrote:
To gain weight you need to build up muscle not fat. Muscle weighs three times more than fat. To do this, simply go the the gym after a protein drink. Also every night before bed or whatever time suits simply do 50 press ups (thats what I started on) maby if you are not so fit try 10 or 20. Do that each day for a month where you then the next month increse the number you were doing by 10. Once you reach 100 press ups I would stop as you start to loose count after 100 with the rush of blood to the head you get. So simply do 100 press ups and star at 50 or whatever pull ups.

I agree with this guy. I have a high metabolism and eating lots of food alone never helped me gain wieght. After working out regularly I've been able to gain weight from muslce. Building muscle instead of fat is the more healty way to gain weight also.
bambholebaba
indianinworld wrote:
bambholebaba wrote:

This is an Perfect IDEA to gain Weight. And if you want to Lose ur Weight - Do the opposite of this... Razz

Question CRY? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
bambholebaba
The-Master wrote:
To gain weight you need to build up muscle not fat. Muscle weighs three times more than fat. I am now 170lbs.

At the same time, Fat has no limits, and muscles? !! But then , U have to decide whether to become fatty, or muscular !!!
( M=muscular= male; F=fatty=female) Laughing Laughing Laughing
Kerosan
LostOverThere wrote:
em0o wrote:

Lol, I have a friend, shes 550lbs...she doesnt even care how much she weighs. Laughing

Well that's good in a way. She doesn't care how other people think so she has a lot of self confidence. Yeah, like others said, I just want to lose weight. Smile
marcmgeronimo
There are lots of weight gain program in the gyms today. Plus you should also eat the right kinds of food. When I started to go to the gym few years ago, I have the same goal, to gain 20 pounds of weight. I gained 25lbs which is still healthy, by doing the right workout and eating right food. I had high protein diets which consists of eggs, milk, chicken, tuna etc. I also took some whey supplements. This kind of diet gives you the extra pounds by adding muscles on your body and not fat. So i guess if you really want to gain that extra 40lbs and still be healthy, go to a gym now. =)
sbel
driftingfe3s wrote:
The-Master wrote:

I agree with this guy. I have a high metabolism and eating lots of food alone never helped me gain wieght. After working out regularly I've been able to gain weight from muslce. Building muscle instead of fat is the more healty way to gain weight also.

i never knew muscle weighed 3 times more than fat. man, that's interesting. thanks
wumingsden
In my opinion you should just try to stop gaining wait.
I had been trying to gain wait for the last year without success, I was actually losing weight rather than gaining it.

I constantly drank suppliment drinks (two types) that were provided by my dietician and followed everything my fitness instructor said, and still no success. I then decided I had had enough. I stopped caring completely about whether people though I was too skinny. I stopped trying to put on weight: stopped drinking my suppliments (my dietician and reflux nurse wasn't too please but I couldn't care), i stopped going to the gym, and most importantly I ate what I wanted to eat (which happens to be fruit, veg, fish and pasta's). In one month I gained 3kg, the biggest amount I gained in 4 years, and the only positive amount I gained in the past year.

I am now drinking only 2 suppliments a day [it used to be about 8], eat what I wish, and have restarted a gym. I'm now nearly 62kg (and nearly 6ft tall), so I have a long way to go. To say I was losing between 1-5 kg each month though, i am doing remarkably well.

My opinion is you should stop listening to other people, quit the gym, and began to eat what you wish. When you feel comfortable enough get prescribed suppliments (which are much better than protein one's) from your dietician. If you don't have one then speak to your doctor about one. After a few months you should see a relatively clear weight difference and this is when you should start the gym.

this method worked for me and it may work for you too
ratfungus
What you have to do, is resistance training. What this mean is training with weights. Free weights (i.e. not using a machine) are best because they make you have to keep your balance. This also strengthens the muscles and connective tissues not being specifically worked. Stick to low or at least lower carb eating. This is also what you should do. More protein and more fat. Look for the BBC website and the horizon TV program. Look for the archive on Atkins, although not all low carb diets are Atkins. He just happened to be the highest profile exponent of it. This type of diet DOES NOT increase colesterol. In fact it decreases it. Train for about 45 minutes to an hour 3 times a week. NO MORE. Let your body recover, rebuild and grow. Search the net for creatine. A supplement for muscle growth. Not a steroid, not illegal and not harmful. At least that's what most research shows. Gaining 40lbs will take time, but should be achievable - maybe take 6 months to 1 year. Depends how intense you train. Look up intensity. It doesn't mean training longer or more than 3 times a week. Just training as hard is you can in the alloted time, 3 times a week. Good luck.
deStructuralized
Lift weights. Up your calorie intake...low intake is for losing weight, high intake is for gaining weight. Eat right. Get enough sleep. Be patient.

Don't give up on protein supplements, but do note a couple of key facts:
1. Whey protein is a fast absorbing protein...basically what this means is, consuming whey WITHOUT working out or without consuming carbohydrates right beforehand results in NO gains in mass. The nutrients are used for general physiological functions rather than muscle repair, which is what you want if you're a vegetarian, but NOT what you want if you're bulking up. The best time to eat supplements is right after your workout.

2. The key word is supplement...no amount of supplements will ever replace the nutritional value of proteins from actual meats. Also, your body can only absorb a limited amount of protein at a time, meaning doubling up on shakes is a bad idea. Flooding your bloodstream with extra whey is a waste of time, money (that stuff's expensive), and protein (consuming an overly excess amount of protein generally results in it being excreted.)

3. Protein is just one part of the equation for muscle building. You HAVE to make sure you're getting all the other nutrients you need...glutamine...amino acids...and so forth. These chemicals are absolutely necessary for converting protein into useful muscle mass.

Another thing to remember is, if you're going to be taking supplements...you'd better damned well be pushing your strength (not endurane) to your limits in the gym. If you can work out more than three times a week, or you can hit 4 reps of 12 lifts in an exercise, you're either using too low a weight or you're not focusing your muscle groups properly. Tear it up.

In my personal opinion, the potential negative effects of creatine haven't been tested nearly enough for me to consider taking it on a regular basis. I'd wait at least a few more years before starting in on it. It isn't technically a steroid, and people have gotten results with it, but unless you're severely underweight or you're thinking of becoming a pro athlete, just be patient. The goal is health, don't gamble with it.
ratfungus
I agree with deStructuralized. I was pointing out options with creatine. Read up on it on the net. If you're not convinced - leave it. In the final analysis, gaining what you want to gain will take several things. The right nutrition (from food and supplements), hard work (there are no easy ways round this one) and time (there are no easy ways round this one either). At least no safe ways. And as deStructuralized says - you must be safe and healthy. So no steroids and no anything else that YOU are not convinced about. If you're injured - stop training until you're fit again. Read up on positive mental imaging (it's not voodoo - it just gets you in the right mind set) and goal setting. Achieving small goals (like gaining a couple of pounds and losing a little fat at the same time) will spur you on to more longer term goals (like gaining 40lbs). But do it (relatively) slowly and you should gain the most benefit from it (mentally as well as physically). When endorphines are released during hard training, it's easy to become addicted to the feeling and to overtrain. Don't. Stick to 3 times a week of hard training and you will see results. Don't burn off too many calories doing specifically cardiovascular exercise. If you do your reps quickly (that is slow reps but with short gaps in between reps - no hanging about, just enough time to catch your breath so to speak (20 to 30 seconds)) this should also give you adequate cardiovascular training.
deStructuralized
Very good summation, ratfungus

Good add about positive mental imaging; when you're motivated and focused you're generally able to workout with greater intensity.

Another thing I have to add, is that even though a lot of people in here have said don't do cardio...a moderate to intense cardio workout before strength training is, at least for me, very important.

I usually do about 20 minutes of cardio before I lift. 5 of it is regular activity, then I start doing HIITs at 1 minute intervals. Today I did 8 regular cardio and I couldn't lift as much as I usually can.

You want your blood to be circulating very well through your muscles as you workout, remember that.