FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

cPanel X DirectAdmin

jurisconsultando
What is the difference between cPanel and DirectAdmin? Why are there both? I choose just one do use? Or are they used for different things? I read somebody talking about fantastico, is it working?
Blaster
Cpanel has fantastico which installs scripts for you. Direct admin doesn't have this feature installed. Many dont' knwo how to use directadmin or install stuff so they like cPanel. They are both good programs but DirectAdmin is cheaper so that is why it is on server 2. Server 1 has cPanel but there is no space left on server 1 so dont' ask for that.
SpellcasterDX
Blaster wrote:
Cpanel has fantastico which installs scripts for you. Direct admin doesn't have this feature installed. Many dont' knwo how to use directadmin or install stuff so they like cPanel. They are both good programs but DirectAdmin is cheaper so that is why it is on server 2. Server 1 has cPanel but there is no space left on server 1 so dont' ask for that.

You don't get to choose which one you want, either. If you get accepted, you will be on Server 2 with DirectAdmin. Wink
Blaster
I mentioned that.... i think. But if you get DirectAdmin and dont' know how to use it you can look at this thread.
jurisconsultando
Ok, thanks! But if you want to install the scrips like mambo myself will be possible right? And will it work well with DirectAdmin?
jayandsilo
it's just a control panel it has nothing to do with your site. WIth Directadmin you have to do install joomla manually
Blaster
yea you can install that you just have to go to the site and download the thing then upload it and manualy set it up. People will do it for you if you need it for some frih.
Manofgames
hey, ill install joomla / mambo for FREE.
anyway, direct admin is better, because if you look at cpnel, there ra etonnes and tonnes of images, and it takes ages to load up.

so the fact that directadmin doesn't have fantastico, but loads quicker kinda balances it out.

Also, I find Direct admin to be much nicer, and more colourful Very Happy .

And with Cpanel, i was forever crawling through slow-loading menus, which really, REALLY annoyed me.

also Cpanel doesn't work as well with free websites apparently, heard that with another service provider. They're current;y having to format their server and install another manager because of that. And their members will all have to re-register, so i think overall, Direct Admin is far better
jurisconsultando
Ok thanks!!! I already saw a demo site with DirectAdmin and I liked it a lot, is easy, fast, simple and userfull! I don't have problems to upload the files by myself, if I need some help I will ask you Manofgames, I don't have an account yet, but I'm active in the forum everytime!
Embraces!
k3hrn
Blaster wrote:
I mentioned that.... i think. But if you get DirectAdmin and dont' know how to use it you can look at this thread.

Will directadmin allow me to have multiple domains here? Not sure once you are accepted for a website here exactly how more than one domain works.

Thanks

Thom
Bondings
k3hrn wrote:
Will directadmin allow me to have multiple domains here? Not sure once you are accepted for a website here exactly how more than one domain works.

Yes that's possible and much easier/better than in cPanel.
k3hrn
From what I've read, new accounts only have access to directadmin...is that true?

Once I get an account, will I be able to operate a mailing list?

thanks

Thom
mustaq
well if your good in installing script you dont have to bother about nay control panel every thing will go smooth ,but control panel make the work smoth and see for new bie and its cost more than free version i mena open source
k3hrn
mustaq wrote:
well if your good in installing script you dont have to bother about nay control panel every thing will go smooth ,but control panel make the work smoth and see for new bie and its cost more than free version i mena open source

Thanks....I believe directadmin comes with majordomo....noit sure if it also includes majorcool.

Wondering if there is a php mailing list that has the options and features of mailman or majordomo?

I have a community group that wants to create a mailing list.

Thanks
Blaster
I believe that you can set up mailing lists. You do have a mail you have squirle mail.

And yes you will get set up with DirectAdmin frihost doesn't offer cPanel anymore.

www.frihost.com:2222

Username: demo_user
Password: demo

Check direct admin out for yourself.
k3hrn
Blaster wrote:
I believe that you can set up mailing lists. You do have a mail you have squirle mail.

And yes you will get set up with DirectAdmin frihost doesn't offer cPanel anymore.

Thanks.....my Dell just died again...so this time they have to replace the whole thing....but it's gonna be at least a week...I hope I don't loose all my points....I will try what you suggested from the library's public access computers.

thanks
Blaster
Well you don't have your account yet so you won't have to worry about losing any points. You don't lose points untill you have an account.
k3hrn
Blaster wrote:
Well you don't have your account yet so you won't have to worry about losing any points. You don't lose points untill you have an account.

Thanks....as you can imagine....running to the library to use a computer gets real old Sad

I suppose the saving grace is that the vendor is obligated to replace the entire system since it's been such a dog.

Thanks
Blaster
Yea since you dont' have a computer right now just wait to request your account. And even if you where to you would only loose a point a day and its easy to gain them points back.
k3hrn
Blaster wrote:
Yea since you dont' have a computer right now just wait to request your account. And even if you where to you would only loose a point a day and its easy to gain them points back.

I already requested it....but I will make it a point, as I'm doing now, to participate each day.....I have a LOT of questions so I'll just build up my knowledge base.

Thanks for the information.
Blaster
Yea no problem and good luck with your account. Frihost is truley a great place. If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
shoes22
aren't they working on a new version of cpanel?