FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Self-Moderation

ocalhoun
I'm thinking it would be nice for every user to have moderator powers on their own posts: deleting and moving expecialy, perhaps even closing, if they started the thread.
That would make accidentialy putting a thread in the wrong forum and realizing the mistake later not fall onto the moderators' shoulders, as the user could fix it themselves.
It would also get rid of most 'plz close this topic' or 'plz delete this post' messages, once people got used to it.
It seems to me that the only problem with this idea is implementation; I don't know if there is a mod for it, but I suspect there isn't, and making one from scratch would be difficult.
Bondings
The idea is pretty good and I already thought about that, but the problem is that some people who are angry might use it to deface/harm the forums a bit by moving the(ir) topics arround and/or removing them.

Maybe with a time limit would be better.
James007
Nah, then people would be able to stop the discussion when they want it to. Like:

TS = topicstarter
OP = other person

TS: Yes
OP: No?
TS: Yes
OP: No!
TS: I say yes, -close-

** This example is simplified and not to be taken litterally **
Blaster
yea i agree with james. its simpler to just ask a mod to close it. Maybe if you can do it for like the contest forum and the marketplace it may be a good idea.
James007
And reporting will become easier when we get our fabulous reporting system! Coming soon!
Blaster
James007 wrote:
And reporting will become easier when we get our fabulous reporting system! Coming soon!

Oh this will be much nicer... So i really dont' see a reason to do this now that you can just do this...
babumuchhala
James007 wrote:
Aaah....
I have been hearing abt this since maybe the start of the year. Just hope all this development time was worth it.

And self moderation is a bad idea. I even say we remove the edit option for users after say 3 days (like in Opera Forums) so that one can't say "I never Said that"

Also one does have the option to delete his/her own post, if its the last post in the thread. Especially usefull when u mistakingly hit that submit twice and gets accepted
S3nd K3ys
babumuchhala wrote:
James007 wrote:
Aaah....
I have been hearing abt this since maybe the start of the year. Just hope all this development time was worth it.

And self moderation is a bad idea. I even say we remove the edit option for users after say 3 days (like in Opera Forums) so that one can't say "I never Said that"

Also one does have the option to delete his/her own post, if its the last post in the thread. Especially usefull when u mistakingly hit that submit twice and gets accepted

Quoted for posterity. Wink

I agree. Stopping edits after a day (or 3) is a good idea. That will help stop folks like me from starting a topic about how you wear your hair, then changing it to how your wife/girlfriend sees you in the privates area after everyone posted about how short thier hair is. Laughing

The report post button is a great idea too. We use it at CNCzone (we have almost 40,000 members, with Currently Active Users: 1276 (273 members and 1003 guests))
tidruG
Self-moderation is most likely not going to be a reality... I think the current amount of control that phpBB gives by default is enough... members can edit (and delete) their posts upto a specified time limit.

As for the Report button/mod... in a very short time, we're going to launch the new warnings control system for the staff which will streamline the warning system. I'm expecting a user-side to report posts very soon, now that the staff system is almost done.

And there definitely will be a report button... should make reporting much faster/easier Smile
Blaster
@ S3nd K3ys stop giving me bad ideas. Rolling Eyes

I have to ask this but is like soon for frihost in like two years?
tidruG
Blaster wrote:
@ S3nd K3ys stop giving me bad ideas. Rolling Eyes

I have to ask this but is like soon for frihost in like two years?

Are you kidding?
2 years is like next week.
By soon, we mean soon after you grow up... that may be around 10 years... Wink
Blaster
That would mean i would be 24.... When are you going to grow up....

But yea lets see is this plasible... confirmed or closed?

Nah really self moderation would lead to problems.
Manofgames
I think that self - moderation would be good, but would probably be annoying for the admins. As it would root out trouble makers and what not Smile .

I don't think however, that removing the edit button after three days would be good.

sometimes u might say something REALLY embarressing, and on reflection want to change it, but u can't get on the net till a couple of days later, by which time you 'allotted edit time' has run out.
Bondings
Manofgames wrote:
sometimes u might say something REALLY embarressing, and on reflection want to change it, but u can't get on the net till a couple of days later, by which time you 'allotted edit time' has run out.

You can always contact me if you want some specific (personal) information on this website to be removed. If it is really that important than I will understand it.
Blaster
Bondings wrote:
Manofgames wrote:

You can always contact me if you want some specific (personal) information on this website to be removed. If it is really that important than I will understand it.

Thats a good thing to know... i had that happen on another site that the admins put where i was from on my locations and they wouldn't remove it.

And yes it would probley be chaous
WickedGravity
Self-moderation is like giving a three year old a loaded shotgun and telling them to protect the house while you are away. I have tried this on a few boards I have been an administrator on and it was always a chaotic failure.

Now, the timed edit option is an interesting idea to be sure. Three days is far too long though, if people are going to retard their post to ribbons, it will be within a day at most.
simplyw00x
Quote:
Self-moderation is like giving a three year old a loaded shotgun and telling them to protect the house while you are away.

...only if you run a forum where standards are generally lax and people know they can get away with being retards, because admins don't check logs.
Blaster
WickedGravity wrote:
Self-moderation is like giving a three year old a loaded shotgun and telling them to protect the house while you are away. I have tried this on a few boards I have been an administrator on and it was always a chaotic failure.

Now, the timed edit option is an interesting idea to be sure. Three days is far too long though, if people are going to retard their post to ribbons, it will be within a day at most.

Spam note...

Holly shit its wickedGravity are you like staying here for a little bit or anything?

Non spam now
Yea self moderation doesn't usally work. SMF has this on there and it can be abused a lot. If you have a smaller community then it might be different but for such a big community like frihost it wouldn't work that well. I think it was james that was talking about the report system. That would work a whole lot better. Really it isn't that hard for the moderators to close a thread for you. Just PM them and they will close a thread if they need to. I've done this many of times with my threads and they closed them pretty fast.
James007
Well, I think we have reached a conclusion on this subject.
Self-moderation is not the way to go. Wink

Stay with Frihost Moderation, Swiftly and with Style. Cool

[ I think I'll put that in my signature... ]