FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dell starts using AMD

william
For the first time ever, Dell starts using AMD CPUs, along with Intel. The Dimension E521 was the first one by Dell to use AMD chips, and they also have the smaller Dimension C521 system. Currently these are the only two computers that use AMD chips, by Dell.

Dimension E521:

I think its great that they finally started using AMD (it doesn't really affect me since I'll just build my computer). They're finally giving their customers a choice. AMD was, of course, thrilled when Dell decided to use AMD chips. They still use Intel in most of their systems, including their XPS series and their laptops. What do you think?
dbuchmann
Considering Dell's long standing and openly cordial relations with Intel, I think it's a testament to how far AMD is starting to come from a market share perspective.

-David-
technology.sponge
Good on them!
the 2 released models aint exactly gaming workhorses but they open up the market for cheaper non-intel pc's

Dell probably scabebd the AMD stuff off alienware when they bought them out
cdesegovia
Well I recommend AMD 64 for desktops PC's, but for laptops Intel is still the best Very Happy

dbuchmann wrote:
Considering Dell's long standing and openly cordial relations with Intel, I think it's a testament to how far AMD is starting to come from a market share perspective.

-David-
psycosquirrel
Actually, C2D Intels completely whip all AMD desktop processors.

I think this is a good development, AMD makes a VERY good option for budget builds and will probably bring down prices on Dell systems.
bigdbag
AMD has definitely come a long way. Even if it is 2 models, Dell has always been a 100% Intel company. However, AMD is picking up their market competitiveness, as they have acquired ATI, and have already a long-standing nVidia partnership. Until the new C2D's from Intel came out, AMD was dominating performance-wise over the aging p4 series. The poster above is very correct however, as the C2D's clearly beat AMD's best. AMD is still the most affordable processor you can buy on the market. An AMD 64 X2 pc costs you less than $500 in many places. Part of the reason why Dell has gone to AMD for these two models is that AMD is less expensive, and Dell is trying to cut costs with these pc's.
izcool
I've been told from my friend in the United Kingdom that Dell started to market AMD-based PC's for awhile now, and he was saying that "it was about time" for the same idea to come out in America, probably due to the lower costs.

- Mike.
Talk2Tom11
I have been using Intel chips my whole life.... And for the first time I have purchased a desktop with and AMD Athlon 64 x2. I have read alot of good reviews about about.

I am sure more companies withh follow in dells path and start using AMD chips. Also because they are cheaper. This way dell can keep it's price low when the overpriced windows vista comes out.
webapp
I have used Intel based computers all the time,,,,,,Recently i got a chance to use my friends computer which is a AMD machine and i didn't find much difference in performance...infact for few things i felt AMD performed better.........it could be becos it is 64Bit...or something...

AMD gives a big kick for ur money..Smile
dz9c
Bad move. Intel is where its at...for now at least.
The_Gamer294
its about time. AMD could really use the money. they have good processors and with more money in their pockets they can only get better faster.
neosree
This is good initaitive. Nowadays dell is giving a lot of costomisations and is becoming a compatitive choice other than assembled system. why u want to assemble when dell is giving u almost all those costomisability. Atleast newbies will come forward and choose more dell pcs instead of assembled ones.
henrynielson
The more competition Intel has the better for the consumer. If only someone could deliver a blow like this to Microsoft !
fadirocks
I still wouldn't buy a DELL
I hate their desktop and last time I checked they're badly built, hard to upgrade, & break a lot

I'm just sick of seeing and fixing DELLs at my old job as Computer Lab Consultant 4 years ago I went through over 400 DELLs & I hated them for their low quality keyboards and mice! Horrible floppy drives & we had over 30% of 1 model DELLs had their IDE tape sticking out where the zip100 drives installed! My stupid school were buying them like water just because they're so cheap
Josso
Even though I still wouldn't buy a Dell I'm glad they are doing this. Might just make them a little bit better than they are now (I don't want to spark this Intel vs. AMD argument - the never ending one, but I am pro AMD).
fadirocks
Josso wrote:
Even though I still wouldn't buy a Dell I'm glad they are doing this. Might just make them a little bit better than they are now (I don't want to spark this Intel vs. AMD argument - the never ending one, but I am pro AMD).

Give the consumer a choice is always a good move Smile
Sergiy
This is not good
Dell is for Intel elecronic and not for AMD Surprised
ezekiel_rage
I dont know why some people think that using AMD chips is a bad move.

As for my own experience, AMD processors perfrom way better than Intel Chips.
psycosquirrel
Right now though, Intel C2D and their new Quads completely dominate AMD dual cores and quad cores. As for single core, AMD is still the best (though it may be considered old technology right now). AMD is #1 for budget builds right now too. My Opteron 146 is now well under $100 on Newegg, and is by no means a wimpy chip. It, combined with my 7900GS completely smoke any game I throw at my computer.

I want to see some cheap single core Dells come out soon. Everyone knows the low-end AMDs beat out the pre-C2D Intels with ease...
brycearonium
i've never been to impressed by amd. it seems they never are quite as good as intel. espically now that there are the core 2 duos out. amd alwasy gives it a good shot,m but it seems like they never come out ahead. they need something really great, something really new. also intrisitng ot note is amd bought ati, which dell uses int heir computers. may that have contributred to the change? posibly, sice they were using intell chips and ati graphics. that means intella nd amd at the same time. so mayeb they were trying to balence it out? who knows.
ezekiel_rage
brycearonium wrote:
i've never been to impressed by amd. it seems they never are quite as good as intel. espically now that there are the core 2 duos out. amd alwasy gives it a good shot,m but it seems like they never come out ahead. they need something really great, something really new. also intrisitng ot note is amd bought ati, which dell uses int heir computers. may that have contributred to the change? posibly, sice they were using intell chips and ati graphics. that means intella nd amd at the same time. so mayeb they were trying to balence it out? who knows.

What do you mean?

It was AMD that first introduced multi-core processors to the desktop market, and it was AMD that first successfully implemented multi-core proccessors in the server platform.

As far I'm concerned the days that AMD is playing catch-up to Intel is long gone. Now it is the other way around.

Now, it is intel that is trying to catch-up to AMD.

But given that Intel is and has always been the more dominant player, being the larger company, that may change.

At least now AMD have the advantage to go head-to-head with Intel. Instead of playing second fiddle.

My opinion.
Timonator
I don`t know if this is so good of Dell to do because the new intel core 2 duo processing units have a way better price to performance then the AMD processors. So if you want more for your money intel can supply it and not AMD.
neosree
but if u want the lowest cost laptop capable of running XP without any glitches, able to support vista, there is always the option of AMD seems good. They can drag the price down, and intel try to come up with those Celeron D prosessors which aren't good enough compared to processors from AMD at the same price tag.