FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

.NET or JAVA

akshar
As a final year graduate I am soon going to join the Indian Software industry.

I am fairly good in JAVA (J2SE and J2EE) technologies at the same time I am also interested in .net and I believe I can learn them very easily.

So what should I do in order to get a better future and demand?

I have been told by many people that JAVA except J2ME has no future ...
Is that true?

Please offer you valuable advise
James007
Moved to scripting >> others...
HoboBarticus
I would highly recommend investing time in .NET

I think it extends much farther then Java does in todays world and in the future. But it really depends.

I am a college student right now, and I'm study C/C++ and Java. I personally hate Java so I might be quite a bit biased.
kv
If you are already familiar with j2ee, invest time in it. .net is a lot easier than j2ee. Once you have expertise in j2ee, switching to .net is not a problem. Go with j2ee and keep experimenting with .net a little. This way you will have dual advantage.
akshar
kv wrote:
If you are already familiar with j2ee, invest time in it. .net is a lot easier than j2ee. Once you have expertise in j2ee, switching to .net is not a problem. Go with j2ee and keep experimenting with .net a little. This way you will have dual advantage.

Your advise was very helpful but I find J2EE very similar to ASP.NET but there is lot more to .Net than just ASP.NET

Do you think such a switchover will be easier for me and if I have to switch why do I got to J2EE in the first place?
kv
akshar wrote:

Do you think such a switchover will be easier for me and if I have to switch why do I got to J2EE in the first place?

You should go with j2ee since you are already familiar with it and hence will not be starting from scratch.
Switchover is definitely easy for anybody who can understand j2ee concepts. .net (I am not talking about asp.net but .net overall) is built on similar concepts, only there are some enhancements which are not there in j2ee. .net is much more simpler than j2ee. Also, with help of .net studio, it will be very easy to start building apps on .net.

Why don't you give .net a try and see it for yourself? You could build a decent application in just a day (assuming some familiarity in one of the .net language)
sergio_san_san
well, you can check what the job offers now a days ask for. And java is playing a secundary place. I think it is always better to learn something, so you should a least get the basic in .NET
But this is only my modest opinion.
deepak
I would rather say you should dive in either of them its just irrelevent, both JAVA and .NET keeps on booming especially in IT. Personally, JAVA developer has just increased so .NET would be a good idea.
akshar
learning will never end for me and I will learn both.
eznet
It is a scary prospect.... work in CS and IT... What's hot? What has some dude at some company been told is cool or cutting edge and so he therefore expects you to know? Seems like most all the same things can be done in both if given over the the right coder...

I also am interested in what is best though (though I doubt that there is a real answer). The thing I seem to get when I ask is BOTH. ALL. Learn everything and anything you can before you stop (which in IT and CS is NEVER). I think that I will be learning most all I can about as many languages and platforms as I can stomach. But I am only a CS junior and have no real basis, support, or dedication to this premise Laughing I am sure I will change my tune a year down the road when the job market is a bigger and more impending reality and I have to focus on just one to be able to be marketable.
__zPu__
I would choose JAVA, I think it is more flexible, portable, and has better support.

And now it is GPL.

.net is windows oriented even with mono and I dont like windows programming.
deepak
__zPu__ wrote:

.net is windows oriented even with mono and I dont like windows programming.

Its not true, .NET is a platform independent framework and programming with Mono is just like .NET Fx
eznet
It is really crazy, there are so many viable options out there right now. Scary and exciting all at once. You have .net and Java but then there are all kinds of other languages, most notably Ruby. Many Java programmers love Ruby and many other programmers find it in credibly easy to pick up. For actual applications it is very powerful in a ruby environment (almost easier than Java environment to install) and it nearly seamless in its integration with web deployment, way better than applets in my worthless opinion.

Seems like to me, at least currently, OO is all the rave. Have taken two C++ classes (I know that isn't crap) and now two Java, the OO concepts are fully transferable between the two. At firsts I really did not like this but it has grown on me. I know it forces solid concept development for solid applications and reusable code. But I still have a LOT to learn.
roguehider
as a Linux and free software user, I myself don't really like microsoft.

The question "which is better" has just a simple answer: They are the same.

I've both used .net and java. I can fairly say .net is an advanced copy of java. But nothing more in programming achivement.

Java is a whole bunch of standards in software development. In java what you can do varies on your imagination. where .net forces you to work in ms platforms. In open source ground we have mono for .net but it's not a big success yet.

And also I should mention that, java has just newly became a GPL'ed software. Thanks to sun for this Smile
loosu
I am a guy who loves efficiency .
So no time to java for me .

So , if u need portability out of the box , go for java .

else c/c++ is the best of the bet , you can get ,
-Jordan-
The question of whether to use Java or .Net is asked by many and really just depends on personal preference (and sometimes compatibility issues).

Java is a great language, but your applications can easily be decompiled, thus leaving you with insecurity's. .Net however doesn't have any decompilers, and so your source is safe; but you must remember that .Net is windows only and requires the .net framework. Whereas Java works on all(most) platforms and just requires the JRE which almost everyone has.

I'd advise you to keep learning both at a steady rate, and then you will be able to use both languages, so it won't really matter.
wilan
AFAIK .NET also have decompilers not just Java, but simply decompiling your program doesn't leave you with insecurities unless you have major programming flaws that you want to cover up by not revealing the source. Even so, applications can be penetrated without the full source through binary source analysis (good examples would be the vast C/C++ applications out there). .NET *isn't* Windows only, it is a standard and Microsoft wrote an implementation of that standard which is their VS and their .NET framework for Windows.

My take would be to learn one thing and learn it well before moving on, that is not saying you should only focus on J2EE but you should focus on strengthening what technologies you already know whilst exploring other technologies but not necessarily "learning" them (you should be able to transfer skills rather quickly so you don't need to know the inner details of everything to get started).