FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question: PHP scripting + cron jobs

hyhy
Hi i would like to use cronjobs to open my php script which read 4 rss feeds. And here's my question: If i enter in cron jobs that task and i put it on every 2 minutes is it ok? I mean won't it take too much of hosting CPU or so? If then, then is 5 mins ok? or 10?
Teddy1
As there is a rule against posting a topic with the same subject i'll post my problem here too.

I'm having trouble with the cronjob executing a php script, i can get it to execute at the given times but the php script does not successfully execute, i get this error from the log that is emailed to me via the cronjob.
i have looked for a `newline' on line 1 but i can't find it or nor do i have any clue what to do Confused please help.

error returned in email :
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: `/home/teddy1/public_html/Bnt/scheduler.php?password=<swordfish>'

Thanks in advance
Teddy1
Manofgames
what are cron jobs???
hyhy
Manofgames wrote:
what are cron jobs???

There's a search option up there in the links.

But i will be nice ang give you straight link:

!! SEARCH !!

You can also try:

!! GOOGLE !!

Or just ask in proper place on forums, not in my topic!
Teddy1
why not explain for the fella?, cron jobs execute a command at a set interval for example lets say you wanted to execute a php script every five minutes you would make one for that and then you set to "*/5" that's for this particular host it's different with each hosting server. you also have to set the path for this particular file, that pretty much sums up what a cron job does. need anymore info then google is your answer. Wink
Daniel15
Quote:
Hi i would like to use cronjobs to open my php script which read 4 rss feeds. And here's my question: If i enter in cron jobs that task and i put it on every 2 minutes is it ok? I mean won't it take too much of hosting CPU or so? If then, then is 5 mins ok? or 10?

Every 2 minutes is probably a bit excessive (would the RSS feed really be updated that often?). 10 minutes would probably be fine Wink

Teddy1 wrote:
As there is a rule against posting a topic with the same subject i'll post my problem here too.

I'm having trouble with the cronjob executing a php script, i can get it to execute at the given times but the php script does not successfully execute, i get this error from the log that is emailed to me via the cronjob.
i have looked for a `newline' on line 1 but i can't find it or nor do i have any clue what to do Confused please help.

error returned in email :
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: `/home/teddy1/public_html/Bnt/scheduler.php?password=<swordfish>'

You can't pass arguments to it like you have... The command needs to look like:
php -q /home/teddy1/public_html/Bnt/scheduler.php
If the only use for that password is to stop normal visitors running the script, do something like:
Code:

<?php
if(isset($_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"])) {
    echo "This script is meant to be run as a cron job - You can't run it manually!
}

// Rest of your script here
?>

Basically, if someone tries to visit http://[yoursite].frih.net/Bnt/scheduler.php, they'll get the error. However, if it's run by the cron job, it will work fine.

If you still need to pass GET variables, use a command like:
Code:
wget http://[yoursite].frih.net/Bnt/scheduler.php?stuff=yes > /dev/null

This will run the script as if someone visited the page in a web browser. For this to work, you can't use something like the code I posted above.
Teddy1
Thank You! Very Happy, haven't tried either but both sound like they would work. If they do i will donate Smile
Teddy1
For the first one i get this error

/bin/sh: line 1: php: command not found

i'll keep you posted about the second one. Smile
Teddy1
Tried with second one and got this. Can you verify please
Code:

--17:12:00--  http://teddy1.frih.net/Bnt/scheduler.php?swordfish=*****
           => `scheduler.php?swordfish=*****'
Resolving teddy1.frih.net... 216.32.85.170
Connecting to teddy1.frih.net|216.32.85.170|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]

0K ........                                                  3.78 KB/s

17:12:03 (3.78 KB/s) - `scheduler.php?swordfish=*****' saved [9048]
Teddy1
The update is working, I want to thank you soo much Very Happy. Donation sent Very Happy
Teddy1
Is there a possible way to get the newly created files into a specific directory so i can just delete them easier ? after the updates have happened as it takes a long time for me to delete them lol, but i much appreciate what you have done thanks Smile
Bondings
For cron jobs, please don't put them more frequently than every 10-15 minutes. And definately don't execute heavy tasks that frequently.
Daniel15
Teddy1 wrote:
Is there a possible way to get the newly created files into a specific directory so i can just delete them easier ? after the updates have happened as it takes a long time for me to delete them lol, but i much appreciate what you have done thanks Smile

Oh, I didn't think of that Razz I'm actually not sure of how to solve it.

You could try the first method I posted again, but try something like: /usr/local/bin/php -q /home/teddy1/public_html/Bnt/scheduler.php (because just 'php' didn't appear to work). If /usr/local/bin/php doesn't work, try /usr/bin/php
Teddy1
I just use FTP to delete the unwanted files, Thanks for the help Smile
Teddy1
I did try your 3rd and 4th method, but still no success. So i went back to the method that did work. Thanks for your help Smile
Daniel15
Sorry about that, I found the way to fix it... Seeing as WGET worked for you, the command should be:
Code:

wget -O - -q http://[yoursite].frih.net/Bnt/scheduler.php

Wink
Teddy1
Thanks i'll try and give you the result. Smile