FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Importing mails from Outlook Express 6

ainieas
I was working on Windows 98 till I got my new HDD (which was quite a while ago) on which I installed Windows XP. Now although I can get my old hard disk to work as a slave drive, I can't get it to start as a master drive. That poses a dilemma because I need my mails that were in my old Outlook Express 6 in my old HDD and import them to XP. I had exported some mails to an external folder which I could import but the problem are the mails that I didn't export and were stored in OE6. Where are these mails stored in Windows 98? If I know the folder I can get OE 6 to import them from that folder.

Help!!!!
Kelvin
can't really remember the path of the IDENTITIES folder. if i'm not wrong it should be in C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\Microsoft\Outlook Express. There should be a folder with a long name with meaningless characters. Your mails should be in there.
webapp
I had to import my outlook settings into thunderbird......it has a menu which helps u to import all the things from Outlook express
Kelvin
There is actually no need for external programs to import mails from Outlook Express. You can easily transfer mails between computers as per the original settings (minus mail rules i guess).

Just run Outlook Express in the new computer and an IDENTITY will be setup. Shut the program after setup. Just have to go to the path as given for Win 9x, copy the contents in the folder and paste it into the path of the new IDENTITY created. Run Outlook Express again and all the mails are back online.

This works just as well for Outlook.
ainieas
I imported the mails through the import function of Outlook Express 6. I found the mails of Win 98 in this folder (H):\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{1718A3A0-B437-11D6-ABC0-AF0E3903D67F}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
orno
If you've not already managed, check out the official MS KB article here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670/en-us