FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ubuntu installation and windows

wizzit
hello there, im having a problem in my dual boot installation. i install windows in my computer and after installation windows i follow installing ubuntu but when i install ubuntu my windows was erased i dont know what happen?

can somebody over there that is expert in dual boot installation help me? thanks for your help Smile
ezekiel_rage
wizzit wrote:
hello there, im having a problem in my dual boot installation. i install windows in my computer and after installation windows i follow installing ubuntu but when i install ubuntu my windows was erased i dont know what happen?

can somebody over there that is expert in dual boot installation help me? thanks for your help Smile

I am no expert, but I do have experience in configuring multi-OS set-ups.

I would be pretty sure that your windows installation was not erased.

The Boot loader might not have detected it or you may have not configured the boot loader to recognize Windows.

I dont really use ubuntu, but setting the boot loader is universal in linux, regardless of distro.

When installing Ubuntu, did you configured GRUB? During the last stages of installion most linux distro would let you configure the boot loader. During this step you can select which OS would appear in the boot menu.

If you have not configured GRUB, what you can do is login as root, go the root folder and find this file /etc/grub.conf.

edit the file with vi or whatever you want to use.
At teh end of the file add this:

title Windows XP
[TAB]root (hd0,0)
[TAB]makeactive
[TAB]chainloader +1

save the file and then reboot.

You should see Windows in the OS choices to boot.

Note:

Make sure that uou back-up your original grub.conf before editing it.

Hope this helps
Jaan
do you have them on separate partitions?
johanfh
I'm not sure his Windows isn't erased. If he made a mistake when partitioning the hard disk for Ubuntu the windows-partition could be erased.
JohanFH
wicke
When making partitions is very easy to erase previous OS. That's why I always have own har disk for both OS. But I don't currently use Ubuntu because I had problems with GRUB. When I turned my computer on I see only text "GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB..." and it fills my display. Someones said that problem disappear when I change something in the BIOS. But I don't know what I'm doing. It isn't simple. I can't ask from BIOS: "What I must do if I wanna boot on first hard disk without any "GRUB GRUB..." texts?"