FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Design a Game (Win up to 500 Frih$!)

william
Welcome to "Design a Game!"

Introduction
In this contest, you are to design a computer game using any language. The type of game you design will be posted here.

Rules
1. To join this contest, you need to submit an entry fee. The amount of money you send is up to you, as long as it is between 10 and 100 Frih$.
2. After five people have joined, the contest will begin.
3. You are to then design a computer game using any language you want. (eg. Java). You may also use programs such as Game Maker.
4. After the game is complete, you need to post the game in the .exe file format and the source code.
5. I will then be a judge to decide which game is the best. I will also hire two other judges. The winner will be decided on originality, gameplay, graphics, music, etc.
6. The winner will then receive a prize. (See below.)

Prize
I'm experimenting with this way of giving away money. As you read above, you can choose how big your entry fee is. This is how it works. If you submitted 20 Frih$, you will then win 20% of the total amount of money in the pot. If you submit 100 Frih$, then you'll win the entire pot. This means that the prize can be as small as 5 Frih$, or as great as 500 Frih$. As you can see, I can be making an income from this. Don't worry, in the future I'll add some money to the pot to make the prize greater. (I'll add money I earn to this game and any other contest I run.)

Judges
Do you want to be a judge? If so, PM me. Judges can NOT be players of the game. If I feel like it, I might pay you.

Pay Up (It it's the wrong link, let me know.)

Game 1
Game Type: Scrolling Shooter
2D/3D: 2D
You need to design a scrolling shooter. You must be controlling something such as a car, ship, plane, etc. The vehicle you're controlling must be able to shoot. There should also be other vehicles coming at you. At least some of them should have shooting capabilities. I know these instructions are a little vague, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Players:
-mistuhgriddlez 50 Frih$
-silentdae 42.14 Frih$
-Loghete 100 Frih$

Note: LostOverThere was previously in the contest with 50 Frih$

Judges:
-einstein
-Manofgames
-reddishblue

Total Money in the Pot:
242.14 Frih$

EDIT 1: Changed Title
EDIT 2: Added more info under "prize."
EDIT 3: Added "Pay Up" link.

Design a Game Copyright 2006
Loghete
Quote:
Prize
I'm experimenting with this way of giving away money. As you read above, you can choose how big your entry fee is. This is how it works. If you submitted 20 Frih$, you will then win 20% of the total amount of money in the pot. If you submit 100 Frih$, then you'll win the entire pot. This means that the prize can be as small as 5 Frih$, or as great as 500 Frih$. As you can see, I can be making an income from this. Don't worry, in the future I'll add some money to the pot to make the prize greater.

That system has a fault.. If like 2 people enter 100 FRIH$ to the pot, they would both get 100%, but that's impossible..

And I think you're pretty greedy, considering you've got over 1000 FRIH$ and still takes a profit from this contest..

I don't know if I'm gonna join.. but maybe I'll be in the judge.
william
Oh, I didn't make this game for an income. Thing is, I'll give this money away in future competitions. (Making even bigger prizes). Also, if two people enter, each with 100 Frih$, then only the winner will receive the money. So, the winner would receive 200 Frih$, or 100% of the pot. (Sorry if that was unclear).
Loghete
william wrote:
Oh, I didn't make this game for an income. Thing is, I'll give this money away in future competitions. (Making even bigger prizes). Also, if two people enter, each with 100 Frih$, then only the winner will receive the money. So, the winner would receive 200 Frih$, or 100% of the pot. (Sorry if that was unclear).

Gah, I'm dumb. Or I was a little dizzy.
william
Loghete wrote:
william wrote:

So, would you like to join? Or would you like to be a judge?

I know you have potential.
Loghete
william wrote:
Loghete wrote:
william wrote:

So, would you like to join? Or would you like to be a judge?

I know you have potential.

I don't know yet. I'll wait for some other people to join first.
william
All right. Anyone else want to join? A scrolling shooter is a simple game, and it doesn't take that much time to make one. We're talking about a prize up to 500 Frih$! (And future competitions will offer even bigger prizes!) So what are you waiting for?
saratdear
I guess i want to join, but i want a lot of time. If i rush it goes bad, and i want to submit a good game.

So, isnt anyone else joining? And can you give me like about 2 weeks or so? If people start joining i will do it faster. There cant be a contest with just one contestant. Very Happy Wink
william
Sure, two weeks is just fine. I haven't decided how much time I'll give you guys, but it's at least 2 weeks.
Manofgames
Im interested in this judging thing you were talking about.....

Id be interested to see what people could cook up Very Happy
william
Alright, Manofgames is now a judge. I now have enough judges, though I need more entries. So far, nobody has entered. If it is because of the entry fee, just think about the PRIZE. Wink
Loghete
william wrote:
Alright, Manofgames is now a judge. I now have enough judges, though I need more entries. So far, nobody has entered. If it is because of the entry fee, just think about the PRIZE. Wink

I still don't know if I'm going to enter... And I don't know if I'm gonna make the game in Blitz or Game Maker if I do make one.
Manofgames
how about I put a bit into the kitty?? say 50FRI$ ??? Very Happy
william
@Manofgames

Are you saying that you're willing to add money to the prize? Shocked

That would be great, though are you sure you want to?
mistuh griddlez
I'll join.....great contest by the way...also great way of winning prizes!
tamilparks
now i have no idea about game so i will join later
_Jak_
shooter,

if you ever do a platformer ill prolly join with reddish, until then looking forward to seeing what people come up with
william
mistuh griddlez wrote:
I'll join.....great contest by the way...also great way of winning prizes!

Thanks for joining. Good Luck!

_Jak_ wrote:
shooter,

if you ever do a platformer ill prolly join with reddish, until then looking forward to seeing what people come up with

Actually, after this round is over, platform is planned to be next.
mistuh griddlez
I ummm.....well I finished my game:

http://www.mistuhgriddlez.frih.net/newsite/games/spacequest.zip

If the download link doesn't work let me know.
Loghete
Okay, I'll make a game. I will pay the pot when it's done.

EDIT: Just a question: Do the game really has to be 2D? I mean, can it be 3D, with top-down view?
LostOverThere
I'll enter as well, im kinda busy so if its crap, well, you get the entry money anyway.
reddishblue
Loghete wrote:

EDIT: Just a question: Do the game really has to be 2D? I mean, can it be 3D, with top-down view?

Are you really going to make a 3D game for this?
Loghete
reddishblue wrote:
Loghete wrote:

The programming is almost simpler for 3D than 2D, but I decided to make it 2D, because I don't wanna make models.

The game is about 10% done now, after just about 1.5 hours of work.
Manofgames
Ill add 50FRI$ to the kitty, sorry I've been away, Internet connection went down Sad
william
Loghete wrote:
reddishblue wrote:
Loghete wrote:

The programming is almost simpler for 3D than 2D, but I decided to make it 2D, because I don't wanna make models.

The game is about 10% done now, after just about 1.5 hours of work.

Well, it can be 3D, but it's really suppose to be an arcade game, one that isn't 3D.

LostOverThere wrote:
I'll enter as well, im kinda busy so if its crap, well, you get the entry money anyway.

Thanks for joining, and good luck!

mistuh griddlez wrote:
I ummm.....well I finished my game:

http://www.mistuhgriddlez.frih.net/newsite/games/spacequest.zip

If the download link doesn't work let me know.

Thanks for submission, though, if you want, you may modify it. (You have until the contest is over).

Quote:
Ill add 50FRI$ to the kitty

OK, if you're sure.

[/quote]
Loghete
Okay, my game is about 25% done so I think it's time to pay... done.
LostOverThere
Okey, my game is about 45% Done.
Its Going well.
Yjaxygames
Normally I would want to join this contest, but I'm not in the mood to make a quick game...
LostOverThere
Not exactly a QUICK game, is it?
william
LostOverThere wrote:
Not exactly a QUICK game, is it?

Well, one of the main reasons I chose a scrolling shooter was because it's easy and takes little time to create. (I once made one in under 2 hours, even faster if it didn't take much time to create the graphics).

Anyway, for the next round I'm thinking either platform (but that would take time), maze, or something rather simple.
LostOverThere
Okey, im almost done mine, can we say, 1 week???
william
Sure, you can actually have another two weeks. Wink

I'm also willing to add a bonus for everyone who advertises this contest in his/her signature. (Even if that person is not the winner).
Loghete
My game is about 75% done. I think the engine is completely done, I just have to make it longer (and harder) now..

It's getting so good I think I'll put it on my website when it's finished Smile
mistuh griddlez
I think mine will probably lose....since it took me a day to make, i made the graphics in ms paint, and i'm too lazy to make a better one....so ummm well.....i can't wait too see the others.
Loghete
Oh yay, the winner just gets 200 FRIH$...

BTW, check my sig.
william
Loghete wrote:

BTW, check my sig.

Actually, since there are suppose to be two more contestants, the total prize will go up.

Also, I do plan on throwing in some of my own cash, raising the prize. Plus, Logete will recieve extra since he's advertising. (Even if he doesn't win).

Anyway, I can't wait to see what you guys have made. Very Happy
Loghete
william wrote:
Loghete wrote:

BTW, check my sig.

Actually, since there are suppose to be two more contestants, the total prize will go up.

Also, I do plan on throwing in some of my own cash, raising the prize. Plus, Logete will recieve extra since he's advertising. (Even if he doesn't win).

Anyway, I can't wait to see what you guys have made. Very Happy

Yays! Very Happy
Money!

Though, it's only play money Razz
LostOverThere
Okey Dokey, Check out my sig.
Loghete
Quote:
Design a Game Competition 2006
Click Here to Enter and you could win up to 200FRIH$

Eeh.... now you're wrong... It's 500 FRIH$
william
Loghete wrote:
Quote:
Design a Game Competition 2006
Click Here to Enter and you could win up to 200FRIH$

Eeh.... now you're wrong... It's 500 FRIH$

Well, the pot has 200 Frih$, but yeah, this game is officially 500 Frih$. (Don't forget, two more people may sign up for this game.)

Anyway, LostOverThere gets a bonus, too.
reddishblue
I have decided to bump this in the interest of finding out if anybody is still doing this.
Loghete
I'm working on my game.

I take a lot of breaks, though.
LostOverThere
Same... Sad
william
It's OK, guys. Take as much time as you want. (Well, don't spend months-years Wink ).
LostOverThere
I'll be done soon, im just lazy. And a Bit busy, though, Tests are now over, so I should be good. Smile
william
Great! I can't wait to see it. Very Happy
silentdae
I'd like to join up. Donated 50 FRIH$. How much longer do we have anyways? I need a couple weeks for sure, i'll be coding it in C++.
Loghete
silentdae wrote:
I'd like to join up. Donated 50 FRIH$. How much longer do we have anyways? I need a couple weeks for sure, i'll be coding it in C++.

Myself I have to say I haven't worked a lot on mine.. for a while.

I think I'll just finish what I've made and then release it.
william
silentdae wrote:

Sure, you can have several weeks to do this. I've only recieved one entry so far. (Though, I haven't recieved the donation from you, yet). A C++ game would be awesome, I don't know how you'd be able to do it in a week. (Always takes me months Very Happy )
Loghete
Then we'll have 2 Game Maker games, 1 Blitz game and One C++ game. Great Very Happy
LostOverThere
Ah, I forgot about this, Like Loghete, I Haven't been really working on mine.

I'll compile what i've got (Its really not that great), and release it.
Yjaxygames
If a judge is still needed I wanna be one Smile
LostOverThere
Hey, Bad News, What I made I realized was absolute crap, so I probably wont submit one.

But, Assuming you start having monthly GM competitions, Keep the money, and just pretend I was paying for the next one.
william
LostOverThere wrote:
Hey, Bad News, What I made I realized was absolute crap, so I probably wont submit one.

But, Assuming you start having monthly GM competitions, Keep the money, and just pretend I was paying for the next one.

Aw, I was anxious to see yours. Well, OK. Next competition, at the moment, is planned to be either a design of pong, or a platform.

@Yjaxygames

Sorry, but we have enough judges. Thanks for your offer though. Just to comment on judges; the next one won't have judges, I'll just make a poll where many people can vote.
reddishblue
LostOverThere wrote:

lol monthly this contest has been going since november
william
reddishblue wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:

lol monthly this contest has been going since november

Laughing Well, I at least intended this to be monthly. I first started this in early October...only four people entered after almost 4 months. Very Happy

I'm going to try something next time to make sure the contest functions better. I also might trash the method of giving money away.
LostOverThere
Make it monthly in the future, people will make something quickly, and if someone doesn't like the idea, they can wait until next month.
_Jak_
hmm, i think im a bit late but can i be a judge in this comp ??????

thx in advance
william
LostOverThere wrote:
Make it monthly in the future, people will make something quickly, and if someone doesn't like the idea, they can wait until next month.

Yeah, that is probably what I'll do.

@_Jak_

Sorry, but we have enough judges. Thanks for your offer, though.
awesty
What if i have a game that is not in .exe format, and does not follow the 'Game 1' guidelines? Can I stilll enter?
william
awesty wrote:
What if i have a game that is not in .exe format, and does not follow the 'Game 1' guidelines? Can I stilll enter?

Depends. What guidelines does it not follow? Also, what format is it?
awesty
william wrote:
awesty wrote:

It is .swf, and it doesnt follow the giudlines whatsoever. >_<
Loghete
awesty wrote:
william wrote:
awesty wrote:

You can export it as .exe if you want (Flash Projector)
william
awesty wrote:
william wrote:
awesty wrote:

.swf will be fine, but like Loghete said, you can export it. However, it has to be a scrolling shooted and follow those other guidelines.
Manofgames
ive sent 50frih to add to the kitty Wink
william
Manofgames wrote:
ive sent 50frih to add to the kitty Wink

MANY thanks for that very generous donation. The pot is now up to 242 Frih$.
silentdae
My game is progressing nicely but I realized it may not meet the requirements. It's not exactly a scrolling shooter. You can't move yourself, you can only aim your turret. Also, your enemies don't actually shoot back. But this isn't entirely true. They are objects that come at you and if they hit you, game over.

Anyways, I haven't started any actual game coding at this point so I can change things, if I really have to. I've got the basic framework, loading screen, main menu, etc.

And i noticed my name isn't in the list! What's up with that? I donated 15 FRIH$. Anyways, I donated another 20 FRIH$ just for good measure.
william
@silentdae

My humble apologies for not adding you to the list. I forgot to update the topic. Embarassed Actually, you submitted 42.14 Frih$.

Anyway, I suppose I could accept your game. It's a bit off, but it'll do.
silentdae
Very Happy Yes!

I may actually add in the 'scrolling' part. I mean it's only fair. It won't be what I originally wanted, but will still be fun most likely. Smile
Loghete
I just have to say; even if I don't win this contest (and lose 100 FRIH$) I will still be happy, cause I've learnt a lot. I mean, in Blitz.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to make it save a high score file.. To learn that would be useful.
william
Loghete wrote:
I just have to say; even if I don't win this contest (and lose 100 FRIH$) I will still be happy, cause I've learnt a lot. I mean, in Blitz.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to make it save a high score file.. To learn that would be useful.

That's great. And don't worry, you will also get some Frih$. Wink (For advertising and just for having a good game).

@silentdae

OK, that's great. I can't wait to see it!
LostOverThere
Oh! Cheese Games is going to win! =D
Yjaxygames
Not if I decide to join Wink
I will problably join the next competition.
silentdae
Looks like i'm gonna have to withdraw from this contest Sad. The more I think about my game idea, the less I feel it meets the requirements. But I like the idea so I want to continue with it. I'm also getting back into 3D things. Anyways, keep the FRIH$.
Loghete
OMG, everyone is withdrawing! Uuuh..

Well, my game is pretty much finished. I just have to fix one little bug and it's done.
william
@silentdae

Aw, I was eager to see your game. It's sad to see another person withdraw. Crying or Very sad Anyway, I'm going to modify this contest, making it better for the next round.

@Loghete

That's GREAT! I can not wait to see what you've created. Very Happy
silentdae
Well, I can at least give a screenshot of the menu:

Still no actual game code yet, i'm too distracted. Confused
The menu has a nice pulsating effect.
But it all needs a lot of work.
william wrote:
Anyway, I'm going to modify this contest, making it better for the next round.

Good idea! I think what kept me from working on mine was the lack of a hard deadline. Something like this seems good:
-Announce contest
-Get at least 'n' contestants
-Start contest (allow contestants to start development), set deadline
-Allow late entries but they have the same deadline

Anyways, just a suggestion.
Loghete
silentdae wrote:
Well, I can at least give a screenshot of the menu:

Still no actual game code yet, i'm too distracted. Confused
The menu has a nice pulsating effect.
But it all needs a lot of work.
william wrote:
Anyway, I'm going to modify this contest, making it better for the next round.

Good idea! I think what kept me from working on mine was the lack of a hard deadline. Something like this seems good:
-Announce contest

Wow, that looks great!
And made in pure C++.. a shame you withdrew Sad
silentdae
Loghete wrote:

Wow, that looks great!
And made in pure C++.. a shame you withdrew Sad

Thank you! I know Sad...but i'll definitely be in the next contest!
This was fun and I really learned a lot. Smile
Thanks to william for arranging this contest.
Nerdlings
I'm not sure if I want to join, but I do want to be a judge. Is there any judge spots open?
william
silentdae wrote:

-Announce contest

I will definitely take those into consideration. I'm also planning on changing the way to win money.

Anyway, I can't wait to see you in the next contest. Very Happy

Nerdlings wrote:
I'm not sure if I want to join, but I do want to be a judge. Is there any judge spots open?

Sorry, all of the judge spots are gone.

Well, it looks like we only have two competitors, Loghete and Mistuhgriddlez. (Unless somebody all of a sudden joins.) They'll be competing for 200 Frih$.
Loghete
Ok, my games is finally done!

It's 2.2 mb big zipped and you find it here

I hurried pretty much in the end, the beam shooting isn't perfect, and I left out many things like another 3 power-ups and 2 enemies.

BTW: There is a cheat Cool
LostOverThere
Yay! Awesome job Pete, now I'm glad I pulled out Wink
This is great Loghete, I love the music too, great idea.
Loghete
Thanks, devil

(666 posts, lol)
william
@Loghete

WOW. I can tell a lot of effort went into this. I like the music, too. Very Happy

OK, I'm now closing this round. I'm going to send a form to the judges, with different categories. The two games will be given a rating from 1-5 in each category. The score is then added up and the one with the highest score shall win the prize. (Plus all bonuses that apply to that contestant). This is a competition between Loghete and MistuhGriddlez. Let us see who shall win.
Loghete
w00t!

But really sad we're only 2 guys in.. I wanted some more competition.

BTW, the coding for my game is 646 lines long, but then I've got pretty much empty space..

Oh, and I'm unsure if I will join the next contest, I'm pretty tired of making contest games but anyway, it seems like there will be more people competing next round. And I'll only join if you do put a deadline, so it doesn't take 4 months for me to make it again...
reddishblue
Sorry about this guys, I have nothing against you personally, just my opinion

Loghete
Unfortunately I have few nice things to say

Gameplay:I runs smoothly and doesn't have any bugs that I can see, though the speed almost gave me a headache 3/5
Graphics: Sorry but these are no good, I expect the ships to look like actual ships and I was hoping for a cool effect that comes with the bullets 2/5
Sound: Quite Good, but does not suite the game all that well, 3/5
Originality: Just a tiny bit (only because it wasn't in space) 2/5
Value: Replay value seems low 2/5
Comments: Needs to be much more original and have better graphics and more suited sound, the whole thing seems rushed

10/20

Mistuhgriddlez
Is the biggest clone of 1945 ever

Gameplay: Coded Well...I guess 4/5
Graphics: So painted I just hate them + plus the overused Game Maker explosion ever 2/5
Sound: What you mean the firing? So terrible I had to turn off the sound
Originality: None, practically copied off 1945 1/5
Value: Maybe if I get very bored I might try it again 2/5
Comments: It needs a boss and cleaner looking levels (I made a game just like it but with better graphics once)

9/20

Once again I apologies, it is just my opinion
LostOverThere
Wow, you're harsh...You make games?

For Loghete's game, My high score is 1745.

Proof:
Captain Fertile
Loghete wrote:

Oh, and I'm unsure if I will join the next contest, I'm pretty tired of making contest games but anyway, it seems like there will be more people competing next round. And I'll only join if you do put a deadline, so it doesn't take 4 months for me to make it again...

I hope you do join in the next round - your game was good. I felt some of the criticism of it was rather harsh although my head is throbbing from the speed of the game. Shocked

The music was very good and quite suitable in my oppinion.

Kudos for your work mate - it was GOOOOD! Applause
reddishblue
LostOverThere wrote:
Wow, you're harsh...You make games?

I did, but I never got very far, I'm much better with Photoshop
Loghete
LostOverThere wrote:
For Loghete's game, My high score is 1745.

Wow! That's higher than mine! (and I've played it hundreds of time while testing)

But wait, did you cheat? Razz

Quote:
I hope you do join in the next round - your game was good. I felt some of the criticism of it was rather harsh although my head is throbbing from the speed of the game. Shocked

The music was very good and quite suitable in my oppinion.

Kudos for your work mate - it was GOOOOD! Applause

Wow, thanks Very Happy
Well the only reason I wouldn't compete next round is as I said, I'm a little tired.. but if that contest last shorter maybe I can.

reddishblue:
Well, criticism is also good I guess Smile
william
OK, Manofgames and reddishblue have both rated each game. einstein has rated Mistuhgriddlez's game, but not Loghete's. (Due to a download error). Once he rates Loghete's game, I will announce the winner and post the exact scores.
LostOverThere
Toot Toot! How about an arcade game next?

I'm thinking of one called Splat Attack. Wink
(Yes I am joking)
Loghete
So, what's happening?
william
Loghete wrote:
So, what's happening?

I am not too sure. Einstein has yet to rate your game.
reddishblue
I think we should just go on, he may not be on for days to come and we really don't need any more delays.
william
I guess so. I will have the winner up in 24 hours. I'll PM einstein, and if he doesn't rate it by then, Loghete gets the prize.
LostOverThere
Gasp! Go Loghete go! Disco inferno! Dancing
william
Well, I had to go, so I never got a chance to PM einstein. Sad Anyhow, no matter what, the judges seem in favor of Loghete. Thus, Loghete is the winner! I'll send him the money sometime soon. I need to figure out how much to give him (Bonuses and stuff).
Loghete
Yay! Very Happy

Finally, this is over..