FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cannot Write CD

Nikkori
I have a newly bought blank CD-R, I tried to burn files on it using Nero, but it has an error something like FIXATION FAILED..then
I tried to use just the CD Writing Wizard and it said something that the CD is no longer usable..
I viewed the CD-R's properties and it's fully free of data and hadn't yet used, but it just couldn't burn. Anyway, I tried to burned on the CD after 1-week from purchased date.
What's wrong? Thank you.
tester9
perhaps there this disk has a defect.

you can try to burn with another software but i do not know if this helps.

perhaps you tried to make a multi session disk but you tried to finalize it even after the first session.

but in common times a cdr only costs about 30 cents. it is a mass product.
JamesBond
it might be disk problem but i reckon that its more of a hardware problem. o think that ur drive is faulty. it might be even a software problem. probably nero has got corrupt and has corrupted the CD writing wizard also.
in any case, try cleaning the disk once with a dry cloth to see if dust has fallen on it. same thing had happened to me once and once i cleaned the disk, i was able to write on it, though i didnt get the same error. i got *this disk cannot be written. pls insert a new disk*
LethcanAernis
I agree with the posts before.

Take new CD-R, drag some files from Windows XP explorer to the CD. Right click on the Cd and choose "Write these files to CD" or similar.. then see if you can read those files from the CD on another computer. If this works either the CD before was bad, Nero Doesn't work or you did something else wrong.
FunFunkyFritz
I believe that the thing you got there is a coster, chuck it.
Jaan
The problem is most likely your drive is not compatible with the blank media (eg maxtor's not compatible with sony discs). You should buy a different CD-R, not the same brand, test it out, then buy bulk.
Cheers.
Nikkori
LethcanAernis wrote:
I agree with the posts before.

Take new CD-R, drag some files from Windows XP explorer to the CD. Right click on the Cd and choose "Write these files to CD" or similar.. then see if you can read those files from the CD on another computer. If this works either the CD before was bad, Nero Doesn't work or you did something else wrong.

I have tried it--just dragged the files to the CD (i.e. E:\) and tried to Write Those Files to CD--but it didn't worked. I've tried some other CD's--those who are too cheap (P12 or $0.24) and they are writeable with either Nero or Writing Wizard... I also tried burning DVD's and they were just fine. Maybe I will
JamesBond wrote:
try cleaning the disk once with a dry cloth to see if dust has fallen on it
or maybe
Quote:
The problem is most likely your drive is not compatible with the blank media (eg maxtor's not compatible with sony discs). You should buy a different CD-R, not the same brand, test it out, then buy bulk.
yeah, like I said, it worked with cheaper CDs.
THere's just this thing in my mind: When I bought those cheaper CDs, I would burn on them hours later, and they're fine; and those CDs I had failed with were commonly burned 1-2weeks after I've purchased them.
Do you reckon it has got to do with "molds"? or some other things?
Jaan
Did you keep them in scratch/dirt free packaging they supposedly came in? It should be fine then.
dickyzin
Every now and then, the CD-R or DVD-R that I try to burn fails. I would say completed successfully but I can't open/access the disk anymore. I use Roxio CD Creator. Is it usually a faulty disk or burner or software when these sort of things happen. Is there a way to test before the disk is used up?
farhad0
some CD-R have a ROM chipset that they can be upgrade by softwares
goto CD-R company website and get your CD-R software and it's upgrade file and then upgrade ROM ... may be fix ...
good luck
Chris24
Sometimes if the media does not burn you can flash the drive and it might solve the problem.