FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

URL Cloaking / mod_rewrite advice needed

Animal
Hi guys,

I'm trying to create an automatic redirection on a page of my site (www.e-ignite.co.uk) to an external photo-album site. I'd like to mask the URL of the site I link to with my own url, and wondered if this was possible using mod_rewrite. I know that you can do this with a frame, but I'm not keen to do it this way because any links clicked on the external site will still show my url and not the correct one.

So, two questions really:
1) Is this possible with mod_rewrite?
2) If so, how would I go about it?

Thanks for any input!
hexkid
Animal wrote:
Is this possible with mod_rewrite?

Unless you have access to external photo-album configuration (and can change its web server configuration), no; you can't change e-ignite.co.uk configuration and have that change work in external.photo-album.com.
Animal
hexkid wrote:
Unless you have access to external photo-album configuration (and can change its web server configuration), no;

Right, ok. Thanks.

Is there any better way to do this than to use a blank frame? If not, is there any way to set up a condition that the frame "closes" if the user navigates away from external.photo-album.com?
hexkid
Animal wrote:
Is there any better way to do this than to use a blank frame?

Not sure this way is better, but maybe you like it? Would the external photo-album admins mind it?
Code:
// ...
$web_data = file_get_contents('http://external.photo-album.com/');
// mess with $web_data (remove <!DOCTYPE, <body>, <title>, ...)
echo '<div class="external_photo_album">', $messed_web_data, '</div>';
// ...