FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Genealogy

bosschaerts
Genealogical research is my hobby, searching for my ancestors.
It started with ofcourse my own family, but it has grown and grown and for the moment I dod a worldwide research about my familyname Bosschaerts and simular writings.

Showing all my genealogical info is the main part of my website, but I have started with some background info as well.
I hope that is makes it all a bit more interesting to visit. Wink

Greetings from Belgium,
rudi bosschaerts
www.bosschaerts.eu
Ester
My husband and I have been looking into our family trees, it's very rewarding. I've got back to my great, great, great grandfather, who was a pirate in the 1800's.
eggg
Some of my relatives have traced one of my lines back to Austria in the 1600's. When you see how many people are included in your tree that many generations back it can boggle the mind a bit, and develop a higher sense of comaraderie with people in general. I'd love to know what my ancestors were doing a thousand years ago.
Ester
eggg wrote:
Some of my relatives have traced one of my lines back to Austria in the 1600's. When you see how many people are included in your tree that many generations back it can boggle the mind a bit, and develop a higher sense of comaraderie with people in general. I'd love to know what my ancestors were doing a thousand years ago.

That's brilliant to go back to the 1600, I would love to go back that far. I have a small problem, my father is English and my mother came from a small island of the Faroe Islands and I'm not sure where to start looking.
Ester
eggg wrote:

That's brilliant to go back to the 1600, I would love to go back that far. I have a small problem, my father is English and my mother came from a small island of the Faroe Islands and I'm not sure where to start looking.
bosschaerts
In Belgium research until 1600 is most of the times quite possible.
Since about 1600 the church / priests started writing down all the acts of baptisms, marriages and burials (Parish acts). But the names were written as the people pronounced it, thus it is sometimes hard to find the correct info.

And since most of my ancestors were peassants, working hard for their money, little info can be found about them.
Finding ancestors before 1600 needs reading lots of notary acts, because before 1600 the info was not written down systematically.

And from 1800 on, thanks to Napoleon, in Belgium all the info was in the same format, containing the same info, thus making the research easier. (civil acts)

A major problem is time because the archives can only be visited during worktime. And another problem is the price of a copy of an act.
But it remain a nice hobby: finding your ancestors and learning about the time they lived. The internet is a great source gazing for genealogical data and corresponding with other genealogists. Wink
stevedave
This is actually something that seems like it would be interesting..

but where did you starT?
glenwood
A great place to start is FamilySearch.com. Also, most LDS Churches (Mormon) have libraries known as "family history centers" where volunteers help you get into microfilms and extensive databases to organize your family tree.
bosschaerts
glenwood wrote:
A great place to start is FamilySearch.com. Also, most LDS Churches (Mormon) have libraries known as "family history centers" where volunteers help you get into microfilms and extensive databases to organize your family tree.

I think the first and main source is your direct family. Ask your father and mother about their knowledge of their (grand)parents, uncles and aunts. Later, if they are still alive, speak with your grandparents; and so on. And please do not only collect the dates and places of birth, marriage and decease, but more important all the stories and historical moments of your ancestors. Write the stories down and preserve them for later. Also ask for documents like marriagecertificates, obituaries, etc.

Indeed FamilySearch is a great source, but it is better to start with your own family and relatives. In Belgium the acts after 1906 (latest 100 years) cannot be free consulted. If you have a paper with the consent of the chairman of the Court of First Degree you can do the research of your ancestors yourself otherwise the legalised acts have to payed.
So it is important to start the research of your own family, make some phonecalls etc. so that you can fill the gap before 1900.
Before 1900 the acts can be freely consulted in archives or in a centre of the Church of the Latter Day Saints (without no obligation).

So with all the info you have built your own genealogical tree.
Enjoy this hobby, but be carefull because it is very addictive... Surprised
zipdaman12
I too am very interested in Geneaology. I have traced my Fathers side back to teh first immigrants to teh US ( I live in NY) I am now trying to find them back in Germany and Austria. The German Surnames are is Winter and Enkler the Austrian is Graue.

Any pointers?

Zip
cloudship
bosschaerts wrote:
Genealogical research is my hobby, searching for my ancestors.
It started with ofcourse my own family, but it has grown and grown and for the moment I dod a worldwide research about my familyname Bosschaerts and simular writings.

Showing all my genealogical info is the main part of my website, but I have started with some background info as well.
I hope that is makes it all a bit more interesting to visit. Wink

Greetings from Belgium,
rudi bosschaerts
www.bosschaerts.eu

Hi, rudi,

the knowledge i got in college was that, all we humankind originalized from Arica. And even far more time ago, our ancestors were monkeys.

But I am also curious about my ancestor in the past several thousand years, whether part of they once were famous or noble men that time.
thealpha
is it something that related to genetics?
jenice
The LDS church has a lot of free resources, databases, and search tools available to the general public.

One important tool is the PAF software. For anyone doing genealogy work, PAF is a common file used to distribute your family trees. You can get a free copy for personal use here.
studsstudio
jenice wrote:
The LDS church has a lot of free resources, databases, and search tools available to the general public.

One important tool is the PAF software. For anyone doing genealogy work, PAF is a common file used to distribute your family trees. You can get a free copy for personal use here.

When doing research and you end up in the Netherlands, you can do research by visiting http://www.genlias.nl
Most Dutch places are putting all birthcertificates and who died and got married in the past, with some additional information, on the internet. genlias is the national digital genealogy website.

I did a lot of research for my family and it is cool to know where they lived, that some of them died rather quick and a great great great grandpa became really old for those times (103!).