FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Children and same sex couples (marriages)

Should same sex couples (married or not) be allowed access to IVF and adoption?
Yes
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
No
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

scotty
In response to this thread: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-46959.html

I have a further question to above. My opinion on same sex marriage is something I don't have a problem with, what two people want to do is up to them. I'm not going to encourage it because I do think it is unnatural, but I do have strong feelings about same sex couples and obtaining (for lack of a better word) children.

Recently in Australia there has been some concerns over the uses for IVF and one was a case where a dead husband's sperm was used on the widowed wife. No problem with me. But the real issue for me is:
  • I'm opposed to the use of IVF in same sex couples (women of course)
  • and I'm also against adoption of any child (at least under the age of 13 or so) by same sex couples

The reason for the above is that I don't believe any child should be subjected to the social discrimination of have two Dads or Mums. I'm not saying it is wrong, I'm merely saying it is not the done thing, the majority of people are heterosexual. Socially I feel a child MAY be discriminated against and it is an unfair burden on a child to not be given a choice in the matter.

I acknowledge the fact that in the case of adoption is life or death for some children and in those situations I would rather the child be adopted by a same sex couple than die but I'm referring to just a "normal" adoption where the child is either in an orphanage or something similar.
wowz
Quote:
The reason for the above is that I don't believe any child should be subjected to the social discrimination of have two Dads or Mums. I'm not saying it is wrong, I'm merely saying it is not the done thing, the majority of people are heterosexual. Socially I feel a child MAY be discriminated against and it is an unfair burden on a child to not be given a choice in the matter.

They have no choice in being born black/white/red/yellow, rich or poor, gay or straight.

When kids are young, they don't know:
"Oh neat! you've got two moms!"
"Are you made of chocolate?"
"No lunch? You can have half of my sandwich"

When they grow up, if raised right, they don't care:
"Two moms? Who cares? Let's go to a movie."
"I love you" (It's the same to any race Smile - might be a diff lang though lol)
"Let's go downtown... We can share a cab back"

So I don't agree with your statement about them having choice of discrimination. No one has choice. The only choice is whether or not you discriminate. In my humble opinion, there is nothing wrong with same sex couples having children.

They aren't going to encourage homosexuality like many people apparently think - do heterosexual couples promote heterosexuality to their children? They shouldn't. Let your children be what they want to be.

Is it wrong for a single mother, or a single father to raise a child? No. Does it affect the child in a dramatically negative way? No. In fact, many single parents rely on a same sex friend a lot of the time to assist with childcare because it isn't always easy alone.. You rely on your friends all of the time. I know I do.

So what's the difference between Dad and Uncle Jerry raising me together (ie sharing parenting responsibilities while being completely heterosexual friends) while living in the same apartment complex, and Mommy Betty and Mommy Jennifer raising me together and living in the same house?

I'm a single parent. I'm female and attracted to women. I don't think that if I ended up with a girl, I should consider about putting my son up for adoption. Should I?

**Note: I apologise if anyone finds the chocolate statements offensive. It's something I've heard kids say. It's child ignorance, not racism. I'm part African Canadian myself and I find it cute.
lyndonray
Personally i find the chocolate statement utterly offensive and repulsive!!! Laughing I prefer that next time go with coffee instead! Laughing Laughing But seriously though, I think people should be given the opportunity to have children if there are responsible enough and will be able to take care of the little buggers! There are so many screwed up heteosexual parents out there, that the whole argument that a opposite sex couple are better doesn't make any sense at all. Sure, the kids will be made fun of for have two daddy's or whatever. But that's just a normal part of growing up.
WickedGravity
My opinions on this are as varied as everyone else's I suppose. I am not going to say anything here that is insightful or life altering, just to be forewarned.

Same sex couples are fine in my book. Love is love and if you don't like same sex couples, again, that is fine. The world would be a boring place if all of us simply nodded agreement with everyone else would it not?

Adoption of children by same sex couples is the same way. The are two people who feel they are emotionally, financially and personally secure enough to try and raise a child with the ideals and morals that will cause him to be a well adjusted member of society.

Remember...

"All you need is love" right?
mah_lau
Quote:

It's true that the majority of our society is heterosexual. The child may be discriminated against-- but the solution in that case isn't to stop same sex couples to have children, but to explain to others the fundamentals of a family and to teach for social change.