FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Serial code can i use twice leagaly?

Shaula
so i got windows proffessional cd with my code ect ect installed on my pc, can i use the same code to install it on my laptop which is myn but i use it at work???

would this get my code blocked (would fail validation test) if i used the same code twice?? how do microsoft determine if a code has been used twice/three/four times and then u fail the validation proccess on there site??

thanks
Animal
Shaula wrote:
so i got windows proffessional cd with my code ect ect installed on my pc, can i use the same code to install it on my laptop which is myn but i use it at work???

No, this would not be legal. You purchase Windows for use on one PC only. You could legally use it on your laptop if you first uninstalled it from your desktop PC.

Shaula wrote:
would this get my code blocked (would fail validation test) if i used the same code twice?? how do microsoft determine if a code has been used twice/three/four times and then u fail the validation proccess on there site??

It might do, but I don't know how Microsoft applies their validation procedures. Try sending them an email and discussing it with them directly.
{name here}
Animal wrote:
Shaula wrote:

No, this would not be legal. You purchase Windows for use on one PC only. You could legally use it on your laptop if you first uninstalled it from your desktop PC.

Shaula wrote:

It might do, but I don't know how Microsoft applies their validation procedures. Try sending them an email and discussing it with them directly.

CDs are read-only. That little problem would make installing a copy of windows on 2 computers or more is completely working on the honor system.
Animal
{name here} wrote:
CDs are read-only. That little problem would make installing a copy of windows on 2 computers or more is completely working on the honor system.

Unless you use something like Windows Update which will send your Serial Number to MS. If it appears on multiple systems (ie. different hardware) then MS know it's a non-legal copy. This could cause the problem. However, if the user doesn't connect to the internet you're correct - MS couldn't find out. But again, you have product activation...
fadirocks
If you attend an University check if your school offer Windows CDs because my old school had unilimited licenses for any MS product and all you have to get it is to be a student there!
izcool
If it's licensed to one computer, then that means that you can use the same disc (I believe) on multiple installations on that computer. You cannot give the disc to a friend and have them use the same registration code - I don't think that would be legal. From what I know on the copyrights with software, you can make a copy of the disc for backup purposes (such as when the original gets lost or damaged), but you cannot use that again on another computer.

- Mike.
Jazradem
I think it lets you do 3 installations with one key. After that, you have to contact microsoft and get them to refresh the key.

I got a special disc from the university that has my key built in so it doesn't need to check the web server. It's fully legal in case your wondering.
JamesBond
if its an original windows cd, then u wud only be able to install it once.
if u try to install it a second time on any other machine, ms will know that either ur copy is illegal or ur trying to install it a second time on any other machine. u wont be able to validate the machine due to the key/code.
{name here}
JamesBond wrote:
if its an original windows cd, then u wud only be able to install it once.
if u try to install it a second time on any other machine, ms will know that either ur copy is illegal or ur trying to install it a second time on any other machine. u wont be able to validate the machine due to the key/code.

This is not true. My backup copy of Windows ME that came with my system was used multiple times without problem(3 times before needing to zero pass the drive of all data that would prevent it from installing).
JamesBond
i meant to say that u might have a problem while installing it on two different machines simultaneosly. i didnt say that u will, but u might.
Jaan
Your code doesn't get blocked, it is illegal. Consider getting a free OS like Debian or another version of Linux.
tuncay
It is illegal.

Even if the software lets you do it. With the Activation system currently used, it's impossible (unless you crack it etc.)
NewGuyinTown
JamesBond wrote:
i meant to say that u might have a problem while installing it on two different machines simultaneosly. i didnt say that u will, but u might.

You're making it confusing. Ofcourse, you have a problem WHILE installing it on two different machines simultaneously. The two machines have two separate CD roms and you have one CD! It's not possible for both machines to read from the same CD simultaneously.

I think what you mean is "... while running it on two machines..." I still have to disagree with you. You can STILL run windows on two or more machines after installing with one CD and using the same key for both or all of your machines. The problem is updating your windows, which protects your machine from spywares and trojan files that can mess with your hard drive. I believe that only one machine is valid for the windows update.

No, it's not legal to use the same key on more than one machine. If you do and get away with it, it's unethical. But do we really care if our actions are ethical or not these days? Probably not.

(PS. Most people get away with using the same key or a bootlegged key.)
mOrpheuS
fadirocks wrote:
my old school had unilimited licenses for any MS product and all you have to get it is to be a student there!

There is NO volume licensing plan that gives unlimited usage rights for any Microsoft product.

However, a volume licensed MS software doesn't need to be activated, and this may allow the license to be installed and used on any number of PCs.
(Almost 90% of the world's systems running pirated XP used the same famous key! Obviously this key was blacklisted in SP2.)

If your school is giving away software to all the students, either they're incredibly rich or doing something that's illegal.

Bulk discounted rate of Windows XP professional for academic institutions is around $70 per seat.
Office 2003 costs about the same.
cheeta
Well u need to buy a another copy of windows XP....
webapp
There is something called Bulk licensing and single user licensing.....Normal retail versions of XP is a single user license or u can use it on one computer any number of times........

Companies like dell sony ibm etc use Bulk licensing or OEM licensing and that will give them ability to use it on multipe machines......but they give a different serial number for each one of them.....
KHO
Well, not to suggest anything "illegal", but just to state the fact that it is possible, you can install it on as many computers as you want, you just switch all the MACs to the same set Neutral. Simple enough and you will never be caught Neutral. But once again, I am just stating this for the purpose of playing "The devil's advocate" so to speak Neutral.

Of course I would never pirate anything.... Neutral.
ssthanapati
Well as u have already might have known by now that if u install it in ur laptop then it will b illegal. But if u plannin 2 bend the rules then its possible 2 do it. And even update it!!!

Neway its completely upto u!!!
flameboy1974
Quote:
If your school is giving away software to all the students, either they're incredibly rich or doing something that's illegal.

Completely untrue. Microsoft has special contracts with most universities. They want the school to use thier products so in turn the students can purchase approved Microsoft products for little or no charge. I attended College of Southern maryland and was able to log into a Microsoft website using the school name and my student ID. I was then able to purchase windows xp for $5.00 plus shipping. It is a full version (2 CDs both 32 and 64) and included Genuine serials from Mirosoft. The only catch was that you had to be attending a technical class where you might need the software at home. Faculty would enter your info into the Microsoft site so you could get the software you needed.
Lastly, you are supposed to uninstall the software when you finish school.
BlockUp
If you buy enough licenses, then it's legal. That's why you don't get schools buying hundreds of CDs to install onto each computer.