FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Unix

carlospro7
For those Unix experts out there. I am a computer science major, and I'm trying to get to know unix (I'm a rookie), since it's free I thought I'd download it into my Windows computer, but there are so many different kinds. I was wondering what would be the best Unix system to dowload, and maybe give instructions on how to get instructions for installation. Thanks in advanced!

Oh yeah, here's some information about the computer im using: laptop AMD Turion 64 TL-52 (1.6ghz, 1024mb, L2 cache, 1600mhz bus), Windows XP Professional (vista capable). 1gb ram. I dont know if this is all necessary, but just in case
Nyizsa
For a start, try a live CD. This is a CD-based operating system which you can boot from and nothing needs to be installed. This way you can try the features and your hardware compatibility. You may search one at http://www.linux.org or choose Knoppix.
RT Cunningham
If you're not planning on having a dual-boot system, then the choices are limitless. You try any of the Linux or BSD flavors. Heck, you can even try an old verson of SCO Unix.

I have found Linux to be easier to work with, especially with RedHat and Debian. Debian works very well for a strictly console-based server. Ubuntu (debian-based) is the way to go if you want to run a modern desktop.

If you can use virtualization (i.e. VMWare, etc.), you can have several different distributions on the laptop at the same time and decide for yourself which one you want to work with.
djclue917
carlospro7 wrote:
For those Unix experts out there. I am a computer science major, and I'm trying to get to know unix (I'm a rookie), since it's free I thought I'd download it into my Windows computer, but there are so many different kinds. I was wondering what would be the best Unix system to dowload, and maybe give instructions on how to get instructions for installation. Thanks in advanced!

DistroWatch is a good place to look for info regarding distros and stuff.
Here's the link: http://distrowatch.com

Quote:
Oh yeah, here's some information about the computer im using: laptop AMD Turion 64 TL-52 (1.6ghz, 1024mb, L2 cache, 1600mhz bus), Windows XP Professional (vista capable). 1gb ram. I dont know if this is all necessary, but just in case

By the way, since you have a fairly modern and capable system, you might wanna try full-blown distros shipping with full-blown desktops like KDE and GNOME. Smile

After familiarizing yourself with Linux, you might also want to try extreme eyecandy goodness via a composite desktop. AIGLX + Beryl is the best way to. I'm using it right now. Cool
carlospro7
this is all really cool, im getting excited to have linux in my computer. thanks!