FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

[FuN]goku
is it just me or is everyone getting ocd these days?
everyone thinks they have it , but do they really?

i think i have it, well i probly do as people in my family do have it.. but ne ways.. i took a few online tests.

http://www.queendom.com/tests/minitests/fx/ocd.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/ocd/index.shtml

and if you go to wikipedia some symptoms are:
-Repeated hand-washing.
-Specific counting systems — e.g. counting in groups of four, arranging objects in groups of three, grouping objects in odd/even numbered groups, etc.
-One serious symptom which stems from this is "counting" your steps, e.g. you must take twelve steps to the car in the morning.
-Perfectly aligning objects at complete, absolute right angles, etc
-Having to "cancel out" bad thoughts with good thoughts
-A fear of contamination
-A need for both sides of the body to feel even. A person with OCD might walk down a sidewalk and step on a crack with the ball of their left foot, then feel the need to step on another crack with the ball of their right foot. Also, if one hand gets wet, the sufferer may feel very uncomfortable if the other is not.

i have repeated handwashing and i have to have things perfectly alligned and also... the last symptom i mentions which was from wikipedia...

i got 80 on the first test... i dint take the second... but it looks good.
Agent ME
Great, trying to make some of us feel bad with our compliance to the symptoms...
These fit me too well...
Quote:
-Having to "cancel out" bad thoughts with good thoughts
-A fear of contamination
-A need for both sides of the body to feel even. A person with OCD might walk down a sidewalk and step on a crack with the ball of their left foot, then feel the need to step on another crack with the ball of their right foot. Also, if one hand gets wet, the sufferer may feel very uncomfortable if the other is not.
poiko123
For me, as I read I tend to count the number of letters in a word. Nothing else besides that (yet).
scotty
My friend has OCD and he has medication for it. He is a bit wacky in most respects but a great guy! His most obvious OCD thing is his obsession with organising and confirming things, and once he gets an idea he just doesn't give up on it. They don't seem to qualify for an OCD to me but when he doesn't take his medication he gets a bit loopy lol.
[FuN]goku
yeah if i want something like a song.. ill spend hours looking for it.. i dont care what it takes
Rico
OCD is a result of stress and craziness, you are stressed about the symptoms, and the fact that you’ve identified the symptoms means you’re fine dude. People that are too crazy to identify the symptoms are the one’s end up eating rat turds in the crazyhouse to keep it clean.
katalysator
Oh, I believe OCD has an undeserved bad rap. I believe this ability to have what I call "micro-obsessions" can be a persons greatest strength, though it can be an incredible weakness too. The ability to pour all of yourself into something allows you to get much more out of it than the average person, who is incapable of mustering the seeming fanaticism people with OCD are capable of. I suppose you could call it a physiological tendancy toward extreme passion. Doesn't that sound better than "Obsessive-Compulsive"?
fuzzy91
I got 15 score! Imo my OCD is maybe clicking my fingers, can't help it at the moment and its a reallly bad habit. Need to stop, but now I do it without thinking. I always fiddle though, so thats probally why. I always touch things, and put my hands in pockets lol. Can't just leave 'em be! Confused

~Fuzzy
HoboPelican
45! Im good. But that test is not very realistic. Weighing yourself more than once a week? Hell, its morning ritual to keep tabs on my weight. Hardly a OCD signal. and pushing the elevator button repeatedly can work. The 'vators in my old office would take any 2nd key press as a signal to close the doors. Seemed to work with the call buttons also.

If your OCD is working for you, let it go. Unless it is neagtively affecting your life (or others), why worry about it.
Vrythramax
I am obsessive and complusive about my owrk and hobbies, but it has never been a disorder for me....I get paid very well for being the way I am.
Aless
Well, there's always different degrees of any mental disorder. You can be severely affected or just show minor symptoms. I've read somewhere that a good chunk of the population displays mild OCD-symptoms, but most don't have the full-blown disorder. Being fully diagnosed with a disorder is a lot more serious and usually are the type of people that cannot function normally in society.
Jaan
where can i catch ti from? everyones doing it, but i cant seem to find any these days Evil or Very Mad
guissmo
Quote:

You scored 9 out of 20 in Part A.
(0 indicates no OCD tendencies, while 20 indicates maximum OCD tendencies.)

You scored 5 out of 20 in Part B.
(0 indicates no OCD tendencies, while 20 indicates maximum OCD tendencies.)

Based on the above results, it appears you may have OCD or a related disorder. However, only a qualified mental health provider can make a more accurate diagnosis. If you are experiencing psychological distress it may be advisable to see a clinician for further evaluation.

And you know what, I started laughing while reading the different disorders on top.

The top post wrote:

-Specific counting systems — e.g. counting in groups of four, arranging objects in groups of three, grouping objects in odd/even numbered groups, etc.
-One serious symptom which stems from this is "counting" your steps, e.g. you must take twelve steps to the car in the morning.

Especially this:

The top post wrote:

No offense to OCs though.

BTW, I could admit that when it comes to computers, I'm kind of OC. I get pissed when at my Home PC, the settings are these, and on another PC, the settings are totally opposite and I can't work as fast...
Rico
katalysator wrote:
Oh, I believe OCD has an undeserved bad rap. I believe this ability to have what I call "micro-obsessions" can be a persons greatest strength, though it can be an incredible weakness too. The ability to pour all of yourself into something allows you to get much more out of it than the average person, who is incapable of mustering the seeming fanaticism people with OCD are capable of. I suppose you could call it a physiological tendancy toward extreme passion. Doesn't that sound better than "Obsessive-Compulsive"?

Excellent point, looking at the positive, and with a very good argument. I like it.
bdoneck
I believe that everyone has their own small OCD. I, for one, cannot stand to be disorganized and HATE when my belongings are dirty. I've also noticed that many other people have a sort of OCD like I do about cleanliness and organization towards something different. I think that everyone has an OCD but some more severe than others
psycosquirrel
I'm a very orderly and neat person, but I only scored 25% on the first test and "Probably not" on the second one. I don't think I am OCD or ever thought that, I just like to keep things good...
mantasx
thats like that guy from the show... Uhh whats the name?? I forgat, its this guy that has to put everything in order. Plase PM if you know what I'm talking about.
Ghost Rider103
Well I took the first test and my score came to 0. So I am not obsessive at all, nor do I think I am, nor do I want to be.

Anyways, here was the "What does your score mean?" message

According to your test results, you don't appear to have many major hang-ups. You're generally not bothered to the point of neurosis by germs, for example, and aren't so stuck on certain routines that you can't budge. This probably means that you are fairly laid back and are able to let go of the small things, even if they make you a bit uncomfortable - you know they are not worth the mental energy it takes to obsess about them. Of course, you may very well have a few obsessions in certain areas; some people, for example, are chilled out about most everything but tend to fixate on work or relationships. Overall, though, obsession has not permeated your entire life…thank goodness!
RhysAndrews
Sometimes I must have something clean before I can use anything around it, such as my computer workstation; but that's i'm sure common. Sometimes I have to make my hands of even "quality", as in, sometimes I pull back the fingers of one hand, and I have to pull the fingers back on the other hand the same amount/time taken... But that's pretty much it.

-Rhys
sonicj
I scored a 5. Not surprised, but I think I definately have some oc tendancies. For example, as long as I can remember I count things. I find myself counting the lines in the road or headlights, I even count features on a face like...2 eyes, 2 eyebrows etc. Somewhere along the way I decided there was a number of 50 "items"on the face, so I would always try to come up with that number. I have not done the face thing in a long time but I still occassionally catch myself counting the lines in the road or telephone poles, etc.

I just re-read my whole face thing, and decided that if I didn't know me, I would lock me up right away Laughing

I always thought that the reason I counted is my mind would not sit still. If I was doing some mundane task, my brain was not happy...it wanted to do more work so it created something to keep it busy.
circuits
I beleive that people are taking on OCD as a personality-fad nowadays. This may or may not be fueled by the hot sit-com Monk. I have a friend who is convinced he has OCD and does everything possible to fufill that role he plays in his town's social scene.
darrenpaul
I think a friend of mine has this problem, but I'm not sure. She contsatndtly goes back and checks things, over and over. Like checking did she lock her locker. She also has this thing making sure evvvverything is in the right place, over and over.

I don't think OCD is a fade, and can be very disturbing, even from what I've experienced those with mild forms spend aggges doing things, leading to untimately a waste in their lifes.
Darkfall
darrenpaul wrote:
I think a friend of mine has this problem, but I'm not sure. She contsatndtly goes back and checks things, over and over. Like checking did she lock her locker. She also has this thing making sure evvvverything is in the right place, over and over.

I don't think OCD is a fade, and can be very disturbing, even from what I've experienced those with mild forms spend aggges doing things, leading to untimately a waste in their lifes.

I don't think she has an OCD, more of a short term memory lapse where her concentration goes out the window when she's (excuse the computer term) writing to her memory.

I do the same thing some times, for example in class on monday I was attempting to slyly check the model on the college projector so I could find a remote in the electronics store my friend works in so that I could get the ir signal into my PSP and then convert the bin to hex... but anyway...

I had to go back and check about 6 times because I kept having quick concentration lapses when focusing on the task... only happens once in a while though, maybe she suffers it more often.
[FuN]goku
HoboPelican wrote:
45! Im good. But that test is not very realistic. Weighing yourself more than once a week?
i actually weigh myself like..... everytime i go to the bathroom xD idk why. i just do.

circuits wrote:
I beleive that people are taking on OCD as a personality-fad nowadays. This may or may not be fueled by the hot sit-com Monk. I have a friend who is convinced he has OCD and does everything possible to fufill that role he plays in his town's social scene.
LOL! although that does seem the case, alot of people at school say that they have it but, they dont... well i actually know 1 - 3 people at school that do have it. and they do convince themselves. rly wierd tbh...