FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Input on my website

JBotAlan
Hey,

I think this is the right forum to discuss this on--I saw another one of these on here.

I am just starting to learn web design--there's a big difference between knowing HTML and knowing web design. My homepage is trash right now (see for yourself http://jbotalan.frih.net ) and I'm working on redesigning it. Right now I am just trying to create a simple template to base all my pages off of. The template is at http://jbotalan.frih.net/Grossmann/main.html . Please critique it. I imagine it doesn't even validate at the moment.

The teacher told me my code was okay as it was simple and that means it will be a good template--but I'd like the opinion of someone besides a teacher, as they are not necessarily the most educated people (ironic, ain't it...).

Thank you kindly,
JBot
ninjakannon
Firstly I must issue you with a warning.
TOS, Section A, Rule 7 wrote:
Content related to hacking, torrents, peer to peer, cracking and serial numbers.

Your site appears to contain content related to hacking... and you're not allowed that on the frihost servers. So I'd take that off before a moderator or admin can do anything about it. So long as you haven't been warned before, though, you should be ok.

Now, onto the design:
I think it would be better if the title image was aligned with the centre of the main body of text, not the centre of the page.
You could move all the 'boring' links down a bit, so that they align with the top of the main body of text.
Perhaps make the gap between the links at the top and the page title slightly wider.
I think the design is clear and quick loading, which is good. However, you could make it more interesting by putting some background images in. For example, have two images: one down the left-hand side of the page, and one along the top which are simple (with relatively small file sizes) which will add some interest to the page. I don't think I've described this too well, but just ask me more specifically about it if you don't understand. Wink
Finally, just make sure the design is the same on all pages; although I think you were gonna do that anyway.

Hope this helps. Very Happy
JBotAlan
I thought about the "hacking" thing after I put it up. The thing is, it was going to be hacks, but legal ones, like installing Rockbox on an iPod, or setting your CD-burner to overburn so that you get more space on it than usual. Is this content allowed?

I'll deal with a moderator if they happen to say anything about it. Thanks for mentioning that.

Jbot
ivanegues
My advice is not to use a template if you dont have too. It can make a page much more interesting.

Good luck with your page.

I like the tips you mentioned you would put in your page.
ninjakannon
JBotAlan wrote:
I thought about the "hacking" thing after I put it up. The thing is, it was going to be hacks, but legal ones, like installing Rockbox on an iPod, or setting your CD-burner to overburn so that you get more space on it than usual. Is this content allowed?

I'll deal with a moderator if they happen to say anything about it. Thanks for mentioning that.

Jbot

Hmm... That might be OK then, but my word is by no means the final word. Just wait for someone to tell you to take it down, and if that doesn't happen, then you're ok. Razz

Anyway, good luck building your site. Wink
Donutey
ninjakannon wrote:
JBotAlan wrote:

Jbot

Hmm... That might be OK then, but my word is by no means the final word. Just wait for someone to tell you to take it down, and if that doesn't happen, then you're ok. Razz

Anyway, good luck building your site. Wink

Your site is fine from what I've seen, but ask an admin or mod if your worried.

You can learn from a template, but by hand coding something you take away a lot more knowledge. Also, even though tables for formatting are the "normal" entry point for people new to HTML, starting with CSS and <div>s will make it easier to migrate to more professional designs.
theLOGANhole
For hand coding it's cool, but I would find a free template on the web, and try to re emulate that one by hand code..study it so you can actually recreate them. Because your site does look really basic like 1998 websites.

But good job on actually writing all that code your heading somewhere, just keep at it.
fadirocks
Macromedia fireworks can make nice front pages just take bunch of pics organize them and create buttons as slices and voila you got front page

Here is one i worked on but I wish I obtained better picture http://buasda.com/ oh well too bad it's their loss, I'm not redoing it

Feel free to borrow any code Razz
sceptileex
erm no. Just using fireworks to create a page will get you a page with pretty eye candy and absolutely no content. Since you know coding though, if you know photoshop/fireworks you could seriously do with bettter looking images, cause as of now it is looking very plain.