FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Blackheads

DiageoLiam
I despise them, everyone gets them. I hate popping them, but yet I hate seeing people have massive ones on their face; it makes me sick.
I don't have any because I pop them, anyone know any medication or anything? Rolling Eyes
jharsika
I know you shouldn't 'pop them' (I call it 'picking'.....bleh) because it ruptures the pore possibly and creates an infection under your skin which makes an even bigger pimple appear.

Treatment :
1)Exfoliate
2)Cleanse
3)TONE --- acylic acid/ astringent /witchhazel, whatever
4)Bioré strips

That's about all I know of.....
em0o
yeah, if your acne/blackheads get really bad, there is a medicine that you can take called isotane also known as accutane/isotretinoin. It is prescribed and you can only get it by prescription from your dermatologist. This is only for extreme cases and there are side effects to it. It supposably is bad for your liver.
xxx1312
Blackhead Removal

The following are some tips for removing blackheads:

- Keep the skin as clean and oil free as possible. Use natural or chemically prepared cleansers, astringent solutions or masks to accomplish this. Avoid harsh soaps that may irritate the skin or any creams that leave an oily finish.

- Use a gentle exfoliant to keep the dead cells off your skin and away from the pore openings.

- Avoid harsh squeezing or scraping at the blackhead. Excessive squeezing can damage the skin surround the pore and can actually increase the size of the pore leading to more blackheads in the future.

- A warm compress of water applied to the area of the blackhead followed by a very, very gentle pressure can help in clearing the clog from the pore.

- Commercial “blackhead strips” which are basically a tape like substance that is placed over the nose and then pulled off will remove some blackheads that are at the surface. Caution should be used with these products and it is important to read the directions completely before deciding to use the strips or not.
traceyy
i heard biore strips work really well. i personally dont have a lot of black heads so i dont really care. i get more white heads when i break out =/
carolinehjkim
I started getting some blackheads too..
I'm a teenage girl, and I used to have crystal clear nose about three years ago......and now I have blackheads... Crying or Very sad I really hate them.
I use neutrogena acne free cleanser&blackhead eliminating cleanser,
I think the number of my blackheads are not increasing but they are not decreasing either.
My skin is pretty darn oily, but pores are not really big yet....
I use biore nose strips, too. It's kind of gross to explain, but when I take off the strip, I expect a lot of things to come out, but it doesn't.... I usually has like one................ Is it normal???/
quex
Those strips can take some practice... for example, I learned they don't work very well if you touch them alot while waiting for them to dry. (They don't work for me very well, either, Caroline.)

Some suggestions to make them work better, maybe;

1) Take a really hot bath/shower before you use them. This goes beyond washing your face in hot water; the pores all over your skin open up much farther when your entire body is trying to shed heat. Also, heat kills bacteria deeper into the surface of the skin, preventing some acne from reappearing as commonly in trouble spots.

2) If you have a singular, large blackhead that you are trying to remove with a keyhole device or otherwise, I have been told by a dermatologist that rubbing baby oil (mineral oil) over the area first and waiting for about ten minutes helps to loosen the blackhead's "hold" on the inside of the pore. Not sure how this works, and I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but my sister reports that it's noticably more effective.

That's all I've got. ^^
engeland
quex wrote:

2) If you have a singular, large blackhead that you are trying to remove with a keyhole device or otherwise, I have been told by a dermatologist that rubbing baby oil (mineral oil) over the area first and waiting for about ten minutes helps to loosen the blackhead's "hold" on the inside of the pore. Not sure how this works, and I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but my sister reports that it's noticably more effective.

what do you do after this? prick them?
quex
Well... not "prick" them, but squeeze to either side of them to push them out. Blackheads are (by definition, I think) cores of the skin's natural oils/wax (sebum), oxidized and hardened, that have blocked a pore some or all of the way down it's shaft. As opposed to whiteheads, which can be "popped" or "pricked," blackheads are hard and need to be worked out with squeezing or pressure applied to the skin directly surrounding the blocked pore.

It's funny you should mention pricking, though... because I have been told that one of the best ways to apply that specific pressure is to use a sewing needle, eye-end against the skin, to push down directly at the skin alongside of a blackhead. This will supposedly push the skin down and pop the blackhead core up. One variation on the theme is to use a needle with an bigger eye to encircle the whole blackhead and push down. Or you can try tools made for a similar purpose by some cosmetics companies... there's a good explanation here and picture of an extractor tool:

http://www.mankind.co.uk/banishblackheads.asp

Best of luck!